Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

After watching that video I've gone from anger to thinking this is a joke. It has to be.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

One thing has been bugging me since this thread's inception (brilliant move btw), is there any chance our beloved John could also be our beloved JC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ush1 wrote: »
    Just talking about that article in the Indo from last year.

http://groups.google.com/group/talk.origins/browse_thread/thread/dae8b3bdd1c99361

Oh sweet ****ing Jesus, between that and his ramblings about transport I wonder if there's anything he isn't completely ignorant of. I saw him on Reeling in the Years speaking at some student rally back in the day so I assume there must be something he has a clue about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Malty_T wrote: »
    One thing has been bugging me since this thread's inception (brilliant move btw), is there any chance our beloved John could also be our beloved JC?

This is a truly stupendous thought. Those of ye who have had the patience to endure Captain Capslock's posting style must start reviewing the book exerpts and see if it truly is he.

Also I said I wasn't going to tell 4chan, but that doesn't mean I didn't tell somethingawful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

This occurred to me also, but somebody matching JC's description showed up at a meeting in the Science Gallery in Dublin last year and Mr May doesn't resemble him all that much.

I think that JC uses those initials for a very specific religious reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭mohawk

Oh Dear. That video was something else :eek:. He actually believes what he is saying. He really believes he is forming a scientific argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

That would be entertaining, but very unlikely. This guy's spiritual beliefs are pretty far removed from JC's. Let's just say he's the kind of guy who would be more at home in the Spirituality Forum than in the Christianity Forum.

Great advertising for a self-published book written by someone no-one's ever heard of. The guy should be in PR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh my god, this is fvckin excruciating to see, I'm squirming around in my seat as I read on :(

Please don't let this sh!te take hold in Ireland, it's gonna be painful enough going back

BTW please do not post John Waters' response to this -- I could not possibly take it !

PDN wrote: »
    Great advertising for a self-published book written by someone no-one's ever heard of. The guy should be in PR.

That is a horrible down side to this. Ideally this should be ignored completely, but a Minister is acting very innopropriately so at least all the media attention is bad attention at the moment. Obviously he will sell more books, just hopefully not very many in total.

Dave! wrote: »

Please don't let this sh!te take hold in Ireland, it's gonna be painful enough going back

!

The thought of that makes me want to cry. Even imagining the possibility is horrific :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's worth an idiot getting a few minutes of fame and a little cash (looks like he's not massively short on it to begin with) to rightly put a Government Minister to shame.

Zillah wrote: »
    That is a horrible down side to this. Ideally this should be ignored completely, but a Minister is acting very innopropriately so at least all the media attention is bad attention at the moment. Obviously he will sell more books, just hopefully not very many in total.

What if some of the people who read it actually believe what he says?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

mohawk wrote: »
    What if some of the people who read it actually believe what he says?

Find them and do them a great deal on O'Connell Bridge.

Dave! wrote: »
    John Waters

Ugh

PDN wrote: »
    The guy should be in PR.
    The guy's a creationist -- creationism is nothing but PR, reduced to the most pathetic denominator possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

mikhail wrote: »
    How you wasted the opportunity to use a "skewered" pun is beyond me.

In my defence, it was done to death at the time.

Seems he's already slunk away. I'll feel a right tit if that letter's published now...

I stole this:

lizard.png

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Seems he's already slunk away. I'll feel a right tit if that letter's published now...

No need for you to feel that way. It was pressure from people like yourself that made him back out. I'm sure if he could have gotten away with it he'd have gone ahead with it. No doubt he was offered a nice fee for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Now we'll just have to bear with claims of the great atheist conspiracy that pressured the Minister away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

King Mob wrote: »
    Now we'll just have to bear with claims of the great atheist conspiracy that pressured the Minister away.

Pftt, the closed mindedness, arrogant and dismissive nature of scientists will come to the fore first.

• Advertisement

I stole this
    Caption competition material?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    Caption competition material?

Photoshop/MS Paint competition? Show us what he is fondling.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I stole this:

lizard.png
    evolution.jpg

Edit, haha made that before I saw the other posts :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

4988557064_07abec3f0a_d.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Ok, so he withdrew from the book launch. Now let's make him bleed.

Here's the facebook group calling for his resignation: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Call-for-the-resignation-of-Minister-Lenihan/114041281986669?ref=mf

Let's try and have a TD or a party leader call for his resignation, because this stunt proves that he is incompetent in his cabinet role.

If you didn't write an email to Lenihan, write one to your local TD or to a government or opposition party leader. If you did write to him, perhaps you won't mind doing it again.

This is the best way to quash the PR the lunatic has generated from the whole stunt.

If a government minister loses his cabinet post just because he associated with this sort of nonsense, it will probably discredit creationism rather comprehensively in this country, and set a good precedent. It will also serve as a great example to the rest of the world.

The "Origin of Specious Nonsense" will thereby (rightly) inherit the sort of toxic status in our political culture that is normally reserved for racial hate groups and paedophilia apologism. We've got the genie back in the bottle, let's hammer the cork in properly.

This is the best way to quash the PR the lunatic has generated from the whole stunt.

If a government minister loses his cabinet post just because he associated with this sort of nonsense, it will probably discredit creationism rather comprehensively in this country, and set a good precedent. It will also serve as a great example to the rest of the world.

This is both naive and wrong.
    The "Origin of Specious Nonsense" will thereby (rightly) inherit the sort of toxic status in our political culture that is normally reserved for racial hate groups and paedophilia apologism. We've got the genie back in the bottle, let's hammer the cork in properly.

This, however, is over the top and unnecessary. This sort of witch-hunt was the tool of the Church in the middle ages. Marginalise and ridicule. How about we urge Minister Lenihan to put funding into biological research institutes to underline his commitment to the pursuit of actual science instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

This is both naive and wrong.

This, however, is over the top and unnecessary. This sort of witch-hunt was the tool of the Church in the middle ages. Marginalise and ridicule. How about we urge Minister Lenihan to put funding into biological research institutes to underline his commitment to the pursuit of actual science instead?

I'm receptive to the idea that I'm being naive and wrongheaded, but I really don't see that you gave any reasons for it.

Seems he's already slunk away.
    Indeedy - Lenihan makes the front page for all the wrong reasons:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0914/1224278831472.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Speaking from Galway earlier last night, Mr Lenihan said while he “remained to be convinced” by Mr May’s arguments, he would be attending the launch in a personal capacity and as he believed “diversity of opinion is a good thing”.

Teach the controversy as they say...:pac:
    Minister for Science indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement