Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

PrzemoF wrote: »
    “I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong,”
    “I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

The other side wasn't friendly either.... :eek:

Very true. I do wonder what would have happened if you put Stallman, Linus, Gates and Jobs in a room and tell them to create something.

Murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    I will set up the steam group today. any idea's on a good name? ''Boards.ie Linux Steam group'' ?

i dont mind , wouldnt add "steam group" to the title, seams like a long name- imo

cant think of a name , the name linux dosent go well with boards.ie becasue it seams like a completly different domain.

anything is fine though

bpb101 wrote: »
    i dont mind , wouldnt add "steam group" to the title, seams like a long name- imo

cant think of a name , the name linux dosent go well with boards.ie becasue it seams like a completly different domain.

anything is fine though

I think it can be changed anytime regardless

MS is planning some application market/shop for windows. That could drive Steam out of business, so thay are looking for some alternative.

ive saw the store and browse it on the windows 8 release preview
    its shíte- there no search.
    and you have to browse side to side. 8 ,imo, will crash and burn

I think it can be changed anytime regardless

what do you need to add us . email, username , play name?
    will we lock it so that random people cant just join, have it so they would have to ask on the forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Very true. I do wonder what would have happened if you put Stallman, Linus, Gates and Jobs in a room and tell them to create something.

Murder?
    Stallman would get a panic attack - "I'm not free", Linus would try to insult someone, Gates would try to sell the room and Jobs would complain about color of the paint on the wolls and start suing the rest for using the same air.
    ;)

OSI wrote: »

Someone mentioned earlier about the difficulty in porting non OpenGL games. My girlfriend is a big fan of the Sims, and when Sims 3 came out on the Mac, I decided to get it installed for her. When I had a poke around, what I found interesting was that it seemed to be exactly the windows game, with a wrapper akin to Wine around it to run under OS X, so it's definitely very possible and not overly difficult to do, but I would like to see more games make the jump to OpenGL, although the use of DirectX in the XBox will make that a difficult sell.

sorry , i dont really understand what your saying.
    Did your Girlfriend have a mac and the game was on windows and you ported it or what?

sorry , i dont really understand what your saying.
    Did your Girlfriend have a mac and the game was on windows and you ported it or what?

Installed a Mac release of Sims 3 (ie EA released a version of Sims 3 for OS X, so it's official), and when I looked at the application package, it had the exact file directory and files as the Windows release, with a wrapper which looked like either a pre-configured build of either Wine or Crossover. So EA were using Wine or a Wine-esque system, to run Sims in OS X.

Oh okay
    fair ennough

might be based on wine
    but the installer would have to run inside the game so it wouldn't look messy for the mac users

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

Installed a Mac release of Sims 3 (ie EA released a version of Sims 3 for OS X, so it's official), and when I looked at the application package, it had the exact file directory and files as the Windows release, with a wrapper which looked like either a pre-configured build of either Wine or Crossover. So EA were using Wine or a Wine-esque system, to run Sims in OS X.

I really hope that this won't be common practice for a Linux games provided through Steam. The Wine DirectX compatibility dll tends to lag behind in terms of functionality. DirectX 10/11 is completely off the table for the time being.

I'd love to see developers write game engines that are platform agnostic. Or at least modular enough that they can become agnostic. I'm hoping to see more of this considering the successes of the HumbleBundle (ignoring Mojam).

Phoronix benchmarks

"In addition, there will be more exciting Valve/Steam on Linux information to share this month."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Stallman's views on the steam client make interesting reading....
    "Non-free game programs (like other non-free programs) are unethical because they deny freedom to their users," he wrote on his blog.

"If you want freedom, one requisite for it is not having non-free programs on your computer.
    Richard Stallman Richard Stallman urges Linux users to source titles from the Free Game Dev Forums

"However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19065082

Cliste wrote: »

So.. Steam is bad but if you are going to use it.. use it on Linux. I will take it as a Stallman Seal of approval. But either way non free software wont stop to exist. Its like day and night.

News just in
    http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

straight from valve blog
    love the title

"faster zombies"

summary (doesn't say much) however

linux version of l4d2 is working at 315 ffs
    windows version of l4d2 at 270 ffs

hmm better xD

There updating regularly which is quite important

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Cliste wrote: »

One of his more pragmatic comments ..... at least he concedes that closed software does and will exist even if it is not the preferred option, from his point of view.

It is helpful, I think, that he has not been 'over the top' on this matter.

From my view, bringing commercial software - in this case games - to Linux, will only encourage development of competing free software.

At worst case it won't but users of free OS will benefit if they wish to use the commercial software.

More choice is surely better for all.

well, i have to say i perfer free software , but i dont mind paying for games like l4d2 or cod .
    At the end of the day , developers need to get paid to live , end of.You cant make a game like call of duty and have the updates on free software. The dlc i don't agree paying for though.

Another linux friendly developers talking at SIGGRAPH(that thing that value will talk about linux at)

(Unigine made the game oil rush)

With SIGGRAPH just being days away where the next OpenGL and OpenGL ES specifications should be unveiled, the Unigine team is in the midst of travelling from Russia to Los Angeles for this leading event. In preparation, Unigine Corp released a new video this morning showcasing some of the latest features of their flagship Unigine Engine.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE1MjM

” ‘I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space’ - Not awesome for Blizzard either.”
    Link!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I was a couple hours ago in a small newspaper agent. They had 5 different magazines about linux. Is the mythical "year of linux" really approaching??

I was a couple hours ago in a small newspaper agent. They had 5 different magazines about linux. Is the mythical "year of linux" really approaching??

I was just thinking how the magazines sell nowadays with websites like phoronix and omg ubuntu.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Is the mythical "year of linux" really approaching??

I don't think so and now I'm not sure it ever will. Semi blathering coming....

It's hard to see where the future lies now with mobiles slowly becoming the dominant day to day computer that people use. My wife nearly never uses the laptop any more and I only use the desktop for work. I went into PC world there about two months ago to buy a PSU for my desktop (it had failed). The guy asked me which laptop it was for. When I said it was for a desktop he said they don't stock that kind of thing. :eek: Android may become the dominant OS 10 years from now. Maybe it'll be something else. It may use Linux under the hood (a la android) but I don't see desktop linux ever becoming a real force in the world, unfortunately. Having said that, I have high hopes for ubuntu on android. I spent extra on a new phone recently in anticipation of it.

I was also heartened to recently see it had reached 1.6% of desktops. That's actually very good growth. If games manufacturers actually ditched Windows 8, that could push a lot of gamers over the line into Linux land.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

croo wrote: »

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

DirectX adds a tiny amount of overhead.
    Although I was under the impression that this was the case in general when doing direct comparisons between DirectX and OpenGL.

Khannie wrote: »

I went into PC world there about two months ago to buy a PSU for my desktop (it had failed). The guy asked me which laptop it was for. When I said it was for a desktop he said they don't stock that kind of thing. :eek:
    well thats just retarded.Probale did there all just gobshítes there now.
    would have cost you about 30 anyways :rolleyes:
    some of the small pc world dont have shíte. Was in the square and they didnt have graphic cards :L, 3 bits of memory and for some reason a good few sound card :confused:(ive only ever heard of 1 person who sound card wasent up to something (and i think it was a laptop)

i bought a usb3.0 card and i didnt work , had to wait like 20 minutes until the only person in the place that was certified to look at it, to tell me it was fúcked , something missing off the bored

Khannie wrote: »
    I have high hopes for ubuntu on android. I spent extra on a new phone recently in anticipation of it.

what phone did you get ?

7 years ago i dont think they even stocked pre-built stuff :L
    saying all that about pc world , i got a gaming pc there because it was cheaper than building
    i7 3.4ghz
    1gb amd graphics (cant remember model)
    2tb hard drive
    for €579 was a display model though down form 979

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

I will set up the steam group today. any idea's on a good name? ''Boards.ie Linux Steam group'' ?
    Was that group set up? I looked for Boards.ie in the groups and couldn't find anything.

Howlin1 wrote: »
    Was that group set up? I looked for Boards.ie in the groups and couldn't find anything.

Nope. Was/am busy at the moment. I will get to it as some stage shortly unless someone else wants to make le group.

Nope. Was/am busy at the moment. I will get to it as some stage shortly unless someone else wants to make le group.

will we make it so that random people cant join , and have to be invited by leaving a message here. This would stop random people joining.

I dont mind setting it up, shall i?

will we make it so that random people cant join , and have to be invited by leaving a message here. This would stop random people joining.

I dont mind setting it up, shall i?

Go for it! Yeah make sure we keep it to boards only.

Go for it! Yeah make sure we keep it to boards only.
    right ill do it know , ill get back to this in a few moments

Right folks , its up
    leave your play name here and ill start the adding
    The Url is
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boardslinuxteam/

• Advertisement

Right folks , its up
    leave your play name here and ill start the adding
    The Url is