Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cryptosporidium Scour

• 15-05-2013 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

Lost a calf to this scour at the weekend,he was only two days old when he got it,so i suppose that didnt help.Vet gave him a drip and injections and i put him under the lamp and fed him the stomach tube,thought he would make it but didnt.Vet had told me its a bitch of a bug to get rid of once it gets into a shed.Calves that are out can even get it.Two other calves got it the next day but they were that little bit older and were able to fight it,just gave them halocur and that cured them.According to the vet there is no vaccination for this scour just gave halocur to them once they are dropped .Is this correct.And also is there any one disinfectent that ye find works better than others on killing this particular bug

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

lost 2 calves to it at the start of March, 2 more got it but the hair fell off them they got so sick

thus all calves born since start of MArch got 4-5cc of halocur for the first 4-5 days

anyway maybe it was the cold but once we began using the halocur havn't had a single case of scour or had the need to give one single lectate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

aidanki wrote: »
    lost 2 calves to it at the start of March, 2 more got it but the hair fell off them they got so sick

thus all calves born since start of MArch got 4-5cc of halocur for the first 4-5 days

anyway maybe it was the cold but once we began using the halocur havn't had a single case of scour or had the need to give one single lectate
    Do you gave them a shot of halocur as soon as they are calved,like what i was told to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Do you gave them a shot of halocur as soon as they are calved,like what i was told to do

From birth but not on an empty stomach it puts them off grub if they have empty stomach. I forget dose rate. Pm Whelan1 for rate

Thanks for the empty stomach tip.The young vet did not mention that:(,just said two pumps of the halocur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

3x 4ml shots per day for 3 days .... so thats 12ml per day for 3 days. make sure all sheds are clean and disenfected or if possible have them calving outside, edited to say we give it as soon as they are born with out any ill effects

• Advertisement

oocide used to be the disenfectant for this but is off the market we are using interkokask, and regular powerwashing and disenfecting.... do you vaccinate with rotavec corona?

Thanks for the info whelan 1. Was told to give 2x4ml per day for 7 days and was told calves that are born outside can also pick up the bug,surely that cant be true. Dont vaccinate for rotovac corona . Does this prevent this scour.

find it very strange that a 2 day old had it.... i have given the 12ml/day for 3 days for the last 3 years with no ill effects.... obviously the bug is there, i wouldnt chance not doing the calves, as far as i know the halocur is a preventative not a treatment... will read the label

just read leaflet, it is a preventative medicine not a treatment, says not to give to calves that have scour....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Had a serious outbreak of it ourselves this year spread like wildfire with it affecting 20 out of 40 calves at the time had calves that didnt suck for 3 weeks with it got them going eventually, best way to treat it i found was life aids twice a day by stomach tube with milk as every second feed at all costs dont stomach tube a calf with cypto milk as you end up bloating the calf/acidfying its stomach, even half a litre squirted down a feed along with natural youghurt is better then tubing the calf with two litres of milk , lost 5 calves to it and only after i stopped tubing calves with milk did i get any response to treatment, another thing dont inject calves with crypto has no affect on the scour as crypto is a parasite all you end up doing is killing the good bacteria in the calfs stomach that will help it recover plus one on halocur once i started doing the new borns with it and the remaining calves not affected by it, had no case since touchwood.

• Advertisement

Had a serious outbreak of it ourselves this year spread like wildfire with it affecting 20 out of 40 calves at the time had calves that didnt suck for 3 weeks with it got them going eventually, best way to treat it i found was life aids twice a day by stomach tube with milk as every second feed at all costs dont stomach tube a calf with cypto milk as you end up bloating the calf/acidfying its stomach, even half a litre squirted down a feed along with natural youghurt is better then tubing the calf with two litres of milk , lost 5 calves to it and only after i stopped tubing calves with milk did i get any response to treatment, another thing dont inject calves with crypto has no affect on the scour as crypto is a parasite all you end up doing is killing the good bacteria in the calfs stomach that will help it recover plus one on halocur once i started doing the new borns with it and the remaining calves not affected by it, had no case since touchwood.[/QUOTE]
    Dont tube a calf with crpto milk.:confused:Are you saying dont gave milk to a calf with crypto because if you are my vet is in BIG trouble with me

mmmmm calves need milk , also need energy... i would never take milk away from a sick calf, rather build it up with life aid or similar... my calves have to get the rotavec corona milk for at least the first week....goes to show how vets differ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan1 wrote: »
    mmmmm calves need milk , also need energy... i would never take milk away from a sick calf, rather build it up with life aid or similar... my calves have to get the rotavec corona milk for at least the first week....goes to show how vets differ....

I'm not saying to take away milk, just not to tube calf with milk i know going for tube is the easy option as opposed to spending 10 mins squirting milk down a calf throat that dosen"t want it but all calves i tubed with milk up to two weeks in some cases never recovered and where eventually taken care of by the knacker with a gun, look up any articles regarding tubing calves with milk and 90% of the times vets agree doing it for more then 2-3 feeds is a bad idea and really upsets a calf's stomach.

find it very strange that a 2 day old had it.... i have given the 12ml/day for 3 days for the last 3 years with no ill effects.... obviously the bug is there, i wouldnt chance not doing the calves, as far as i know the halocur is a preventative not a treatment... will read the label
    So you give halocur to all your calves when they are born as a preventative again cryptosporidium scour and vaccinate your cows with rotovac corona to prevent e.coli and rotavirus .Dont want to be losing any more calves,would imagine a nightmare if had to be at what op was at in the previous post

all calves here get halocur for first 3 days, also get rotavec corona biestings for at least a week and vecoxan at 10 days old.... your vet should be able to do a 10 minute test on the calf dung to see what you are dealing with... these tests can also be gotten from osmonds..... so every calf here gets these treatments along with regular powerwashing and disenfecting. Rotavec is to be given to cow 3-13 weeks before calving, its not cheap at 185 for a 40ml bottle-2ml per cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

i had last cow calf today, nice lim bull calf , calved herself outdoors (all cows out).. calved at 8am lovely clean dry garden .. anyway could see he sucked but looking at him this evening pure yellow watery scour runniing out of him.

i put him up and he sucked her in front of me and he is greedy to suck but i never saw it so runny ever from colostrum, only 12hrs old so would rule out crypto by what i read in link on whelan's post.

will see if he is as full of beans/bright looking in the morning.

when calving sucklers outdoors scour is never an issue for me so kind of worried about this lad

if he's looking ok i wouldnt worry too much, maybe touch base with your vet... could just be the biestings going through him

if he's looking ok i wouldnt worry too much, maybe touch base with your vet... could just be the biestings going through him

watching him tight and he suckling and bright as a button... just never saw such water running out of a newborn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I had the same with a calf last week but hr is sound now , I put it down to the calf making a beast of himself on the first feed !

• Advertisement

moy83 wrote: »
    I had the same with a calf last week but hr is sound now , I put it down to the calf making a beast of himself on the first feed !

Exactly my theory on thos lad today as he is bucking about the place, but i wasnt panicking it was rivering out of the poor calf like i never saw, but he was just too fond of the tit i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Paddy1951

Lost 2calves tocoxcidocis 2 mts old did not seem to have scour noticed blood on the ground very lively Will check what the vet gave. ,,could not stop the blood I think covexon is what should be given I will check and post ,,there is everything in sheds this year

Paddy1951 wrote: »
    Lost 2calves tocoxcidocis 2 mts old did not seem to have scour noticed blood on the ground very lively Will check what the vet gave. ,,could not stop the blood I think covexon is what should be given I will check and post ,,there is everything in sheds this year
    COCCIDIOSIS and crypto are 2 very different diseases, we give vecoxan-20ml- at 10 days old against coccidiosis, bird are carriers of this disease,

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

We had 3 calves with crypto scour this year, found it very hard to cure, didn't lose any thankfully.
    Moved the cows that where left to calve into a another shed after the results came back crypto in the calving shed.
    Had a few trips to the vets with them and different antiobiotics tried with little success. What worked for us in the end up was removing the calf for the cow completely for 2 full days and feed it lectade twice a day, along with those "number 2" powders which the vet gave us, also would give it a couple of 500g of natural yogurt a day aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyc310

What is halo cur never heard the name....

We had 3 calves with crypto scour this year, found it very hard to cure, didn't lose any thankfully.
    Moved the cows that where left to calve into a another shed after the results came back crypto in the calving shed.
    Had a few trips to the vets with them and different antiobiotics tried with little success. What worked for us in the end up was removing the calf for the cow completely for 2 full days and feed it lectade twice a day, along with those "number 2" powders which the vet gave us, also would give it a couple of 500g of natural yogurt a day aswell.
    Number two powders,are they the sulphar powders

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Number two powders,are they the sulphar powders

Yip that's right, good for cows that would be having "the skitter!"

Advertisement