Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthognathic surgery

• 18-08-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew roughly the price of above? I have had braces twice and still have an overbite...it is getting worse each year and just wanted to know how much it would cost to have my jaw broken and the problem fixed, hopefully long term.

Any info on the above would be greatly received.

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KingJo

Hi
    I just wondered if you ever found out anymore about this surgery-cost etc
    Just started orthodontic treatment and this surgery looks likely
    Finding it very hard to get info re same
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Oiny

Hey KingJo

Afraid no one has got back to me. I'll probably wait until the new year to look in to it further as have a feeling it will cost a bit. If I hear anything I'll let you know and I'd be grateful if you could do the same.

Kind regards,

Oiny

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KingJo

Thanks for getting back to me.
    Will defo keep you posted should I find out anything.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 frahag

hi, i have an underbite ad am getting treatment in edinburgh .i lived and worked there for a while but i just recently moved back to dublin and need to continue my treatment as i am half way through the process.
    For the time being i am travellling back and forth to edin.but hopefully i will br transferrred
    back to Dublin.If youv,e had the surgery let us know your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How are you receiving treatment on the NHS if you are living in Dublin?
    If you're resident in Ireland you are probably (unknowingly?) committing fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 frahag

yeh its because i lived and worked in edinburgh for 3 and a half years. i had been registered with a local dentist over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

if you are in the vhi or aviva this surgery is covered, dont know the cost of it though, im going for it next year for an overbite, cant wait to get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Judy09

Hi Just wondering has anyone had surgery. Im having upper and lower jaw surgery in july 2010. Wondering has anyone had this and does VHI cover it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

My ortho said that this company probably covers surgery...Anyone has info about it???do u have to be customer for long??whih plan i need??maybe they gonna tell me that on the phone, iam going to ring them tommorow...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi Oiny

sorry about late reply. You mentioned you have an overbite and 2 orthodontic treatments and you may need surgery to correct it. Orthognathic or jaw surgery could correct the overbite of course but why do you want to have surgery done at this stage? Is it the appearance of crooked teeth, prominent teeth, your chin or jaw line. It is very improtant to know what exactly your concerns are before offering some advice as to how to get it corrected.

Kingjo
    if you have started orthodontic traetment then your orthodontist should be able to tell you if you need orthognahtic surgery and give you any necessary information

frahag
    look up ww.orthodontics.ie for an orthodontist near you or ask your orthodontist in Edinburgh for a transfer

Private insurance companies will cover some of the hospital costs of jaw surgery but there will also be a top up to be paid to the surgeon, this will vary with the surgeon but may be a few thousand. If anyone out there is having orthpgnathic surgery your orthodontist and surgeon should give you the cost of the treatment before starting out so be sure to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Donny Bonaduce

Did anyone get anything out of any of these options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Hey there,
    The actual surgery should be fully covered if your surgeon is fully participating with your insurance company, if not you will pay a top up, if you have no insurance it is fairly expensive, (I have no figures- I don't do these procedures myself).
    Next thing is to check if your particular insurance plan coveres you for the general anesthetic stay in the hospital where your surgeon works as the procedure may be covered but not the ga or hospital stay!!!
    Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ispinkso

Hi frahag,

Hope your still about to see this, Im in the same situation as you were, have been living in Edinburgh for a few years and just about to get braces on, after which i will need surgery. Im worried that it will keep me here for the next few years and that I wont have the option to move home, I wondered if there was many questions asked about you travelling back and forth for the treatment, and if you got that transfer to dublin in the end?Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hi folks,

I am starting to look into this procedure myself after a consult with an orthodontist.

There is a lot of info on American boards about it as it seems to be quite common over there. I like many have been unable to find much info relating to it being performed in Ireland though.

I will be consulting with a surgeon that my Ortho uses and I'll post any info I get. One thing I will say is there is only a small number of US/UK/European surgeons who are considered to be good at this procedure, so I would choose very carefully on who you decide to let crack your skull open as I've read some horror stories of things going wrong.

At the end of the day I want a proper bite but I also want to look as good as is possible whilst having it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ispinkso

Hi All,

In response to the last post, I have been informed by my orthodontist here in Scotland(who happens to be Irish himself) that there is a shortage of surgeons in the Republic, and that these surgeons also work in the area of facial reconstrustion, etc, hence their workloads are big and waiting lists are long. . he mentioned that there is maybe one such surgeon in Dublin, and another in Limerick. Im looking into it myself, will pass on any info I come accross :)

Hi there

There are 5 or 6 surgeons doing max-fac work in Dublin area, 2 in Cork, 2 in Limerick and 1 in Galway. There are also surgeons based in Belfast and Derry.

You cannot just phone and make an appointment. It needs to be done via an orthodontist and planned with both orthodontist and surgeon. The referrals come through the public system via HSE orthodontic clinics or privately through your own orthodontist.

The waiting list for private patients is not long but the availability of beds can be an issue sometimes. Most private patients will have health insurance. Best thing to do is ask the orthodontist when you see them, they will usually work with a particular surgeon in the area and be familiar with procedures and costs.

Sorry, I'm sure there are plenty of surgeons in Ireland willing to take your money and have a bash. I more so meant only a handful of surgeons around the world have the reputation of being good. So I'd be skeptical of our tiny island having several surgeons who do this procedure to a high standard. It's your face after all, aesthetics will be important, so make an informed choice rather than just going for the guy your Ortho recommends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Sorry, I'm sure there are plenty of surgeons in Ireland willing to take your money and have a bash. I more so meant only a handful of surgeons around the world have the reputation of being good. So I'd be skeptical of our tiny island having several surgeons who do this procedure to a high standard. It's your face after all, aesthetics will be important, so make an informed choice rather than just going for the guy your Ortho recommends.

Wow, there are actually some excellent maxfax and plastics guys doing this in our tiny Island and while this may seem like the biggest job to you- it is quite routine to them.

Hi,

Sorry I didnt mean to sound flippant, admittedly Im only going off Internet research. I will be delighted if I can have the surgery here as the hassle of going abroad, is just that.. Hassle.

Could you PM me who you consider the top guys in Ireland as finding info is quite difficult as I've posted previously?

As I said, finding past patients of prominent US/UK/European surgeons is simple. Loads of video blogs on YouTube and write ups with pics on jaw surgery boards.

Finding past Irish patients is virtually immpossible, I presume at my consult I'll be shown past patient pics but you know your always going to get the best results as opposed to the surgeons average. I also can only presume Irish surgeons do not do as many surgeries per year as there US counterparts.

I appreciate your input though, I could do with all the help I can get finding the right surgeon!

Hi

your orthodontist will recommend whoever they work with a lot. You will probably not be able to pick someone else.

I am sure you would not be referred to someone who was no good. Remember there are risks with every surgery and no surgeon or orthodontist can give you a guarantee that nothing will go wrong. When you find things in the web it is usually from an advertisement and is no guarantee of success either

• Advertisement

My info is mostly gleaned from blogs of people who have documented there surgery and from boards like this only in the US hundreds of people get this surgery every month, so lots of real life results from real people and not some marketing spin.

As stated, I wish to have surgery here but I'm wary. I will definitely not have a surgeon shoved down my throat and I will choose the person I feel is right for me, if my ortho has a problem with that then I will seek a new ortho.

I understand there are dental professionals on this board and I mean no offence to anyone. However, much like Irelands soccer team will never possess the same skill as there Brazilian counterparts, I fear the same is true of our surgeons when compared to there US or even UK counterparts.

I will be seeking the best possible surgeon I can find to crack open my skull and rearrange my face. When you say it out loud it just makes sense!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

The most severe orthognathic cases in Ireland are treated via the HSE/healthboard, as opposed to being paid for privately by the patient.
    Ireland is a small place, and patients are not necessarily as publicity hungry as their US/UK counterparts. You could understand why many wouldn't feel comfortable posting up their "before and after" picture& accompanying blog, particularly if there's no financial incentive to do so.

Re MaxFax surgeons here/in the US or UK....it's one thing "cracking the skull and rearranging the face" of a complete randomer/stranger, quite another when it's your neighbour/colleague/first cousin/daughters' friend ;) (as it generally tends to be in a small country). No pressure for good results in Ireland?!:rolleyes:

On a final note, your orthodontist should not "shove a surgeon down your throat", however he will likely recommend someone whose work he has knowledge and experience of. Equally, he's unlikely to jeopardise 2+ years of his own work by sending you to someone he doesn't have confidence in himself. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to show you some (consented) before/after surgical cases on his own files.
    All surgery brings risks, it's understandable you're anxious to be in the best hands. MaxFax surgeons piece peoples' faces together after road traffic accidents though- I wouldn't underestimate their ability just because of their geographical location, or because they or their patients aren't doing jazz hands on YouTube.

I'm not sure what you mean by financial incentive. Are you suggesting patients who have documented there surgery and recovery mostly for a record for themselves and then decided to post it on YouTube or other blogs to show people what it's like to go through it are being paid in some way?

I think the fact that US/UK surgeons do countless more surgeries per year then there irish counterparts, solely based on there geographical location is reason enough, after all, practice does make perfect.

I have ultimate respect for the surgeons who piece faces back together after accidents/cancers/deformities and I'm sure Irish surgeons are very capable in this regard.

However I draw a distinction between a capable surgeon rebuilding a destroyed face to restore functionality and some sort of normalcy for the patient and a mostly cosmetic procedure which is what I am seeking, where aesthetics will play a huge role in the success of the surgery.

I appreciate your input and I have a consultation with a Dublin surgeon in a few weeks. I will post my experience here.

You are right to be cautious when considering orthognathic surgery and are entitled to as many opinions and consultations as you feel necessary to make up your mind. It is elective surgery after all.

I am not sure what criteria you will use to choose a surgeon. Is it qualifications, years of experience, where they trained, cases finished, published research etc?

You say that surgeons in the UK and USA do countless more surgeries than the surgeons here. If this is based on surgeons per head of population then given the scarcity of HSE resources, the Irish would be the best in the world.

There is always a risk no matter who does the surgery. Remember that relapse can occur after surgery even if it was done by Obwegeser himself.

Advertisement