Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Scour

• 08-03-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

have a young calf scouring..what you recommend?
    calf is just over 2 weeks old...noticed last night

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I believe they are 2 types of scour, nutritional and those caused by calf picking up an infection. If it's just nutritonal then the scour will be milky in colour and very watery. This can be caused by the cow suddenly producing too much milk (just let out to grass) for example and the calf not been able to cope with the volume. For this I use an Electrolyte solution (Lectade) and I stomach tube. I dose as per instructions, take the calf from the cow for 2 days and small amounts of milk after that, increasing gradually.
    If the calf picked up an infection then maybe the Vet is the best option.

Right or wrong, that's what I've found to work for me.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

bimastat is great for these calves its a pink liquid as the other poster said if calf is sick with it get vet or if not sick give the bimastat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Have you a dairy farm or sucklers if dairy farm put calves in big airy shed with plenty ventalation
    Scour infection can spread like wildfire in a small shed with a lot of calves
    ask vet for a shot and give it your self and save the call out charge;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

whelan1 wrote: »
    bimastat is great for these calves its a pink liquid as the other poster said if calf is sick with it get vet or if not sick give the bimastat

agree. very good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

• Advertisement

we have the same problem in ours and a few doses of the bimastat works really well, you get it from vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

jessbud wrote: »

Agrees with what I was saying.
    It happened to me the first year I had sucklers. I had the calves in a shed. I let the cows in and out. The first day I let the cows to grass, everyone of the calves had this white watery scour the following day. The shed was covered in this white liquid. I knew it had to be the grass then. That's the great thing about calving in early spring, the calves are well strong enough to handle the extra milk when the cows hit the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

Sucklers--pedigree Angus herd...
    home early ytday from work..
    got early calf-aid (farm centre)..think thats its name...powder stuff
    reddish colour when mixed with warm water...
    went to calves, think its a calf that was born last thurs...
    its white milky stuff..hes weak!
    give him this stuff,via dosing it into him..a pint of it, and the remainder of it tis morning!seem livelier tis morning-was at cow for a drink...mayb its me just panicing! but never had a scour around the place b4...normally--cow+calf be out to fields 2-4 days after calving--all going well
    cow has loads of milk...and shes not overly fed..just a huge milky angus...always was!
    also did another calf,hes a very small calf-heifers!the 2 of them 2gether in a pen(slats) which wouldn't help..cold..
    ..have four calves in an adjoining pen(slats)but have a creep-bedded area for them...they seem ok--will be out a Saturday...all going well..

so i think they will be ok..will give the 2 calves some more of that stuff+a shot of penicilin tis evening...and 2mrrw also! hopefully it will be nipped in the bud then

the bimastat is the way to go , believe me 20-25 cc twice a day in a dosing syringe for a few days and a shot of marbocyl and away you go ;)

might see about that afer--get some tis evening for them!
    man in farm centre(dundalk)give me the aid stuff, said was good

• Advertisement

and as per usual..its my biggest calf..a bohey jasper bull calf...

ours are the same , have them out in field now and they are flying , just takes a while to get them going , putting in creep feeder in a few min

yep--gettin mine out a Saturday...
    do grand then--fingers crossed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Last time I had a calf with scour, I used Aurofac :D Remember that stuff :p

Anyway, I changed policy about 20 years ago to letting cow and calf out on the silage ground within a couple of days of calving.
    Never seen scour since, other than an odd 1 with a bit of milk scour from too much milk.

B

think thats what i prob have..milk scour..hopefully!
    will take all that has been said here..and do so 2nite...
    same here--let them out normally after a day or 2..but with the minus temps at night(-8 @4 tis morning)i held them back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

wiggy123 wrote: »
    think thats what i prob have..milk scour..hopefully!
    I thought you said one of your calves had the milk scour:D

think there's different types of calf scour..no??
    milk scour--as in gettin 2much milk
    then scour..infection maybe got,etc..

i give the calf a does of bimastat tis morning..
    as one of the calves scour was custard color tis morning..
    other calf,am unsure of it..still give it some!its a small calf,prob gettin 2much milk..

yup work away with the bimastat , some days i wonder would it work as well on humans:D

awh....

bimastat giving this too both calves morning and evening this 3 days(about 40ml each)the change is great!
    great job..letting out 2mrrw...let them get the fresh air

• Advertisement

yup its great stuff , just hope they dont take it off the market

thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

any chance bimastat is the same as gel lyte + that the local co op has, or is it vet only
    yup work away with the bimastat , some days i wonder would it work as well on humans:D

any further on this? the daughter and her b/f had an Indian take away a couple of evenings ago and neither of them have been off the toilet since:D:D

i was in the vets before christmas and they gave me 3 of the big bimastats foc as the date was dec 2009 :D:D so i am well stocked up

must get another bottle meself for future use!
    i say it is going...off the shelf altogether

i got it also(farm centre man give it to me)--but u need to mix it...so i didn't use it
    other stuff bimastat(got off me uncle)..u just give dose wise--which for me was easier,suckler calves!

i see grass growing in ur fields whelan1, fert out yet?

yup fertiliser well out and slurry on most fields just waiting for growth now :rolleyes: testing on monday so will let some more of the angus out on thursday hopefully

lucky you!
    growth--we 'er praying for it...
    needly badly!
    vy gd--gd luck with test

Advertisement