Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermodynamics- particle speed

• 30-04-2012 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I don't know if I'm just not seeing the answer in front of me but I've been stuck on this question for a while now and any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Calculate the speed of argon atoms at standard tempeture(273.15 K) and standard pressure(1.01*10^5 Pa). You may assume that it behave as an ideal gas. The atomic mass of Argon = 40 u."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

First problem is your temperture is below absolute zero, you'd wanna check you took down the question right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stefanG

My bad, I put in the minus by accident; it's suppose to be 273.15 aka absolute zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

Use this relationship

1/2*m*v^2 = 3/2*n*R*T

and rearrange to get the speed

v = sqrt(3*n*R*T/m)

You know T and m (temperature and mass) however you don't know n, the number of moles. Are you sure this is the full question? Usually they give the volume, or some other piece of information like the number of particles along with the pressure of the gas. That way you can use the relationship

PV = nRT

To figure out the missing variable, in this case n.

Unless I am missing something, thats how I would do this question

Advertisement