Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women only category race at Ben McKenna Memorial in Balbriggan 1st April 2012

• 25-03-2012 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

So : you're a woman, you cycle, you race even sometimes in your club league but have never really thought about racing an open race.

Well, you're in luck because next weekend, in Balbriggan, there is a women only race and your name is on the trophy. ( actually, I dreamt last night that it was mine so, you can dream of the second place if you like)

All the info you need is available on the Women CI website below :

http://womenscycling.ie/blog/2012/03/20/women-only-category-at-ben-mckenna-memorial-race-in-balbriggan-april-1st/

We are hoping a good turnout. The bigger the bunch, the more interesting the race.

This race is open to all women categories and Juniors. If you do not have a licence, you may buy one on the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Just wondering if this race would be a good idea for a first ever bike race? Had been looking at the Sandyford crits to start, would I be left for dust on the road here or what level is it pitched at?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

onimpulse wrote: »
    Just wondering if this race would be a good idea for a first ever bike race? Had been looking at the Sandyford crits to start, would I be left for dust on the road here or what level is it pitched at?
    There will be a cross section of abilities. I'm not sure if there is any handicapping - probably not as there are separate A1-A4 races on the same circuit

It's certainly not an easy circuit, with hills up to Nevitt and out of the Naul. Having said that, if you have a decent level of fitness and can hold a wheel, it would be worth giving it a go - there will be others of similar ability I am sure, so even is some of the stronger riders break away, you may still have company.

Bottom line is it's only 2 laps - 52km. Probably a maximum of 2 hours for the slowest of riders, and hopefully a bit faster. If you want to give racing a go, it's as good a place as any to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm not gonna race but I'm curious here to find out what is the average speed like in these ladies only races?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

j@utis wrote: »
    I'm not gonna race but I'm curious here to find out what is the average speed like in these ladies only races?
    Beasty should know that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Thanks for the interest.

As Beasty put it, it's really up to who turns up. If you have never raced before, this could be a bit of a shock to the system. It doesn't look like there is a handicap, so you would be starting in the same group as some of the better racers. On the other hand, I am sure you are not going there on your first race thinking you might win it either.

If you have never raced before, it still could be a good experience and you might even surprise yourself. The circuit will not suit everyone, but no circuit does.

The best way to find out if you are ready to race is to try it out. I promise you will enjoy the buzz however far you get.

Have you joined a club yet?

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

I forgot to add. In the women open races there are no categories so all the women race together regardless of their ability. It's very common in the women races that International racers mix with beginners.

I like these races and to tell the truth last year I only finished half of them and still had a great time.

EDIT: It just popped to my mind that some people who call themselves 'racing beginners' could be experienced triathletes with a good level of fitness. In this case, you should have no problem at all. ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

j@utis wrote: »
    As has been mentioned in other racing threads, the speed in races is typically a lot faster than people achieve when riding alone, or even on group training spins. There are a number of factors, including terrain, wind, and the size of the group (which affects the drafting benefit - the larger the group the faster it will typically be).

In a race I was involved in, which included a significant majority of ladies, we averaged just over 34kph. I was informed that was a bit faster than ladies-only races usually go though

34/35kph is pretty standard in women races.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭QueensGael

onimpulse wrote: »

Go for it! It's good experience, and you'll only get better with each one. I was spat out the back in one of my earlier ones, so don't be disheartened if that happens to you, you'll find that you will progress over time. If you can find a group to work with, all the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

34/35kph is pretty standard in women races.

If you can manage a 28kph average by yourself, you'll have no problem with race pace, just let the other take up the frontrunning until you feel comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This course ain't for the faint of heart. I reccie'd a bit of it on Sunday and caught a bit of air on one of the descents, seriously. Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    This course ain't for the faint of heart. I reccie'd a bit of it on Sunday and caught a bit of air on one of the descents, seriously. Fun times.

That's the descent of the hill you nearly killed me with going the other way recently, isn't it? You'd get some speed going down there I'd reckon and the surface....Oh Boy!

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    That's the descent of the hill you nearly killed me with going the other way recently, isn't it? You'd get some speed going down there I'd reckon and the surface....Oh Boy!

I don't recall any near death experiences.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's wasn't so much you catching air but a gust of wind caught you !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Is that the hill that was described as the "Bog berg" in the Swords Sportive (on which I was unceremoniously dropped by Raam of this parish)? If so, bring your MTB.

Is that the hill that was described as the "Bog berg" in the Swords Sportive (on which I was unceremoniously dropped by Raam of this parish)? If so, bring your MTB.

That's the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Thats a weapon of lump. Hit it at speed without knowing its there and you could be in real trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

So there's been rumours that the finish line on this one has moved - can anyone confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Lusk Doyle wrote: »

I don't recall any near death experiences.

My lungs do!

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    So there's been rumours that the finish line on this one has moved - can anyone confirm?

I have a flyer for this that was given out at the Traders Cup Race in Dundalk. The finish is marked as being on the Nag's Head (the road that you turn onto from the old N1) just before the right turn towards Walshestown. This would be a fairly uphill finish. I have no idea if this is where it was last year.

I rode some of this circuit tonight and the R129 was closed just down from Ballyboughal village. I presume the organisers have it all in hand but it's properly sealed off at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

I have a flyer for this that was given out at the Traders Cup Race in Dundalk. The finish is marked as being on the Nag's Head (the road that you turn onto from the old N1) just before the right turn towards Walshestown. This would be a fairly uphill finish. I have no idea if this is where it was last year.

Grand, that corresponds with one of the maps I've seen, and with the one that's now up at http://www.balbriggancc.ie/2012-BMCK.pdf - is that the finish on your flyer?
    I rode some of this circuit tonight and the R129 was closed just down from Ballyboughal village. I presume the organisers have it all in hand but it's properly sealed off at the moment.
    Hopefully they have it in hand! :)

Hopefully they have it in hand! :)
    According to Fingal County Council
    The road will be closed between Monday 26th March 2012 and Friday 30th March 2012 inclusive
    ... so it should be re-opened for the weekend

is that the finish on your flyer

Yep - it's the same map as the one on the flyer with the same finish marked.

Advertisement