Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky dish, getting freeview channels?

• 10-09-2007 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey all,

a quick question, there is a sky dish in my house already installed, is it possible to get the freeview channels (BBC, ITV, etc...) off the satellite without having a Sky subscription?

Basically want to watch the rugby on the English channels, cause RTE is too cheap to get the rights despite the E158 :eek: I gave them in license fee.

Don't mind buying a sky box, just no interest in signing up with them for a whole year, only want the free to air channels.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

All you need is a free to air receiver
    contact
    Signal Solutions, Leacht Cross, Carrigaline, Co. Cork
    Web: www.signalsolutions.tv.
    They should be able to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Would an old sky box do? (I can get one for free I think off a mate who has upgraded to Sky+)

Cheers for the quick reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdadude

Yes you can.you don't need to contact that person above.You will have to munually tune them in.Plenty of guides on how to do that on the internet.You can get ITV 1-4 and BBC 1-4 as well.You'll probably be charged a nice sum though for installation without subscribing.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

cherrio wrote:
    Would an old sky box do? (I can get one for free I think off a mate who has upgraded to Sky+)

Cheers for the quick reply!
    Yep, should do if it's still working. With any luck, it'll load with the default EPG listings, which will have all the Beeb's and ITV's listed.

Great, just got the old skybox (I am told its still working fine), need to get a cable to connect it to wall yet.

Doing a little research it seems do not need any card to watch most channels, but need a "free-to-view" card in order to watch CH 4/5 & Sky 3, this correct? Any way of getting this card in Ireland?

Cheers for all the help guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

cherrio wrote:
    Basically want to watch the rugby on the English channels, cause RTE is too cheap to get the rights despite the E158 :eek: I gave them in license fee.

Yawn. Would you rather they went head to head with a pay television sports channel with the license fee that is payed by everyone? Not just rugby supporters.

byte

cherrio wrote:
    Great, just got the old skybox (I am told its still working fine), need to get a cable to connect it to wall yet.

Doing a little research it seems do not need any card to watch most channels, but need a "free-to-view" card in order to watch CH 4/5 & Sky 3, this correct? Any way of getting this card in Ireland?

Cheers for all the help guys.
    Yeah, you'll get all the free channels without a card, like BBC, ITV's etc.

You can get the FTV card (now known as "Freesat From Sky" card) from a few websites (satone.tv is a site I've used in the past), or you can order through a relative in UK or NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

BBC Freesat and Freesat from Sky, looks like Sky are trying to fuzz the edges a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

BBC Freesat

Any ideas of when in 2008 the receivers (interactive/text capable etc.) for this service will appear?

Well after my friend extorted €50 off me ;) for the sky digital box, connected it up and everything worked first time!

Just wish I could get rid of the non free channels! So I don't keep seeing "Please insert your viewing card".

Cheers for all the help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you paid 20 euro more, you could get a brand new fta box where you can delete all the channels you want and be left with only ones you want!

byte

The Sky box has benefits too.

It updates/removes channels as they come/go automatically.

Red-button interactive features, like BBCi, Sky News Active

Digital text services on Sky News, ITV, BBC, etc.

The ability to add a Sky subscription in the future, or add a FTV card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 brn1

Hi. I'm in a similar situation. I have a Sky Box and a satelite dish which I want to set up without subscription. Can you tell me what free channels I can pick up, apart from the BBC, ITV ones. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

lyngsat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

cherrio wrote:
    Just wish I could get rid of the non free channels! So I don't keep seeing "Please insert your viewing card".

Just add your top 50 desired channels to the Favorites list then with the press of 2 buttons (TVGuide, Blue) you have your FTA epg, fully functional.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

cherrio wrote:
    Hey all,

a quick question, there is a sky dish in my house already installed, is it possible to get the freeview channels (BBC, ITV, etc...) off the satellite without having a Sky subscription?

Don't mind buying a sky box, just no interest in signing up with them for a whole year, only want the free to air channels.

Thanks in advance :)

http://www.ddelec.com/engdig01.htm
    check out this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

here's another good site
    http://www.lpilsley.co.uk/skyitv.htm

Advertisement