Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Slick50 wrote: »
    It's in the MOU.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0507/1224296378513.html

"The briefing paper for Minister for Finance Michael Noonan had disclosed the EU-IMF programme had committed to a site value tax with a €100 “interim fixed household charge” being introduced in 2012, followed by a “full value-based addition” in 2013.
    In the revised draft of the memorandum of understanding (MoU) released last week, a property tax remained as one of the specific tax measures that would be needed in this year’s budget to raise an extra €1.5 billion next year. The MoU stipulates the full site value tax, when introduced in 2013, will raise the charge on each household."

You said it was in the MOU - can you show me the bit in the MOU please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

dvpower:

Just so I can get an understanding of where you're coming from, can you confirm your political affiliation and if you are a member of a right wing party?

Rather than picking out "quotes", which you are likely to dismiss anyway, can you confirm if you believe that if this charge is not beaten, that it will remain at €100, or is it more likely to be an average of €800 per house to "fall in line" with the rest of europe?

Can you also agree that the annual average charge for water per house will be €500?

Can you then do the sums, based on the number of houses likely to be included in those catchments for the year 2014?

Can you also do this without asking for sources and quotes?

I would also be very interested to hear where you believe the money would be spent if the taxes pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"Are you going to pay the Household Charge?"

This suggests you have a choice, but you don't.

Taxes are not optional.

You can't choose to not pay VAT.

You can't choose to not pay income tax.

If I bring my faulty car to a mechanic, I take his advice.

If I feel sick, I go to a doctor and take their advice.

Sociologists / economists / etc have spent 100 years trying to develop better, smarter taxes, and most of them agree that property taxes are better than the alternatives.

All taxes are bad in some sense, nobody likes paying them, but property taxes create less negative distortions than other taxes.

Yet people in Ireland seem to ignore or dismiss all this effort to develop better taxes.

The recent rise in VAT will cost us 100s of millions - yet I see no protest.

Many other countries have some form of property tax - are they all mad / crazy??

Of course they aren't, they realise that property taxes are sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Geuze wrote: »

Taxes are not optional.

Rent and get the same public services for free........ supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sociologists / economists / etc have spent 100 years trying to develop better, smarter taxes, and most of them agree that property taxes are better than the alternatives.

All taxes are bad in some sense, nobody likes paying them, but property taxes create less negative distortions than other taxes.

Yet people in Ireland seem to ignore or dismiss all this effort to develop better extra taxes.

Many other countries have some form of property tax - are they all mad / crazy??

Maybe thats what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yet people in Ireland seem to ignore or dismiss all this effort to develop better taxes.

This is correct. About 8% of overall taxation was raised from domestic rates prior to their abolition. This has caused nothing but trouble since and it has been unwinding gradually which led to the accusation of double taxation which was just necessary taxation. These are some figures for the old regime:

However, up until the mid 1970s at least, Local Authorities commanded greater discretion over their revenue generating capabilities. For instance, in 1976 local authorities generated sixty-two per cent of their revenues locally and were only dependent on government grants for thirty-eight per cent of their overall revenue. The situation changed dramatically following the removal of the onus of paying domestic rates, a liability which was transferred to central government. The subsequent decade witnessed a very high degree of reliance on central funding by local authorities. By 1982 local authorities were dependent on government funding for sixty-seven per cent of their revenue with other sources and rates making up the remaining thirty-three per cent.

But if some party at the next election promises to do away with the property tax people will flock to them (judging by the majority opinion in this thread) and we will be back to square one if they are elected.

goz83 wrote: »
    Just so I can get an understanding of where you're coming from, can you confirm your political affiliation and if you are a member of a right wing party?
    I don't see the relevance Mr. McCarthy.;)
    Rather than picking out "quotes", which you are likely to dismiss anyway, can you confirm if you believe that if this charge is not beaten, that it will remain at €100, or is it more likely to be an average of €800 per house to "fall in line" with the rest of europe?
    It won't remain at €100 - that much is somewhere in the MOU. I have no idea how much it will increase by. I suspect that the increase next year will be very small, until the property tax that is due to supersede it is in full operation. I wouldn't be surprised, if over the next 5 years, it was increased 4 fold, but thats just speculation on my part.
    Can you also agree that the annual average charge for water per house will be €500?
    I've no idea at all. This thread is about the household charge.
    Can you then do the sums, based on the number of houses likely to be included in those catchments for the year 2014?

Can you also do this without asking for sources and quotes?
    I've no idea what the charge will be in 2014. Do I think it will increase? Yes. do I think it will increase 10 fold? No

What's wrong with looking for sources and quotes? Better than wild speculation, misinformation and scaremongering.
    I would also be very interested to hear where you believe the money would be spent if the taxes pass.
    It'll go into the general exchequer receipts (either directly, or into the services that the Governement says it will be going into, displacing Government funding for those service). It will be spent on all of the things we spend our other tax receipts on - public services, closing the borrowing requirement and paying debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

dvpower wrote: »
    The €1.6 bn is also mentioned in the MOU, in the Q4-2011 review and it includes the the Property Tax Household charge, VAT, other indirect taxes, CGT and CAT.

The household charge is the keystone to the troika driven reforms of our tax system, to broaden the tax base, they dictated the €1.6 bn for next year and a further €3 bn odd in 2014.

How do you think the government are going to achieve this, when we are already being told that they have "picked the low hanging fruit".

Or do you really believe that this household charge is going to remain at €100? answered while I was typing.

(any link for your €1.6 bn quote above)

• Advertisement

The household charge is the keystone to the troika driven reforms of our tax system, to broaden the tax base, they dictated the €1.6 bn for next year and a further €3 bn odd in 2014.

How do you think the government are going to achieve this, when we are already being told that they have "picked the low hanging fruit".

Or do you really believe that this household charge is going to remain at €100? answered while I was typing.

(any link for your €1.6 bn quote above)

You were going to provide a link to where, in the MOU there is a reference to the government intention to increase the property tax to 1.6bn by 2014.
    Did you manage to find it?

What I can see on the household charge/property tax is:
    Revenue measures to yield €1,500min a full year will be adopted, including:
    - A lowering of personal income tax bands and credits.
    - A reduction in private pension tax reliefs.
    - A reduction in general tax expenditures.
    - A property tax.
    - A reform of capital gains tax and acquisitions tax.
    - An increase in the carbon tax.
    and
    Revenue measures to raise at least €1,100min the full year will be introduced, including:
    - A lowering of personal income tax bands and credits.
    - A reduction in private pension tax relief.
    - A reduction in general tax expenditures.
    - An increase in property tax.

I don't see the relevance Mr. McCarthy.;)
    To see if you are an independent thinker, or a party peddler.
    It won't remain at €100 - that much is somewhere in the MOU. I have no idea how much it will increase by. I suspect that the increase next year will be very small, until the property tax that is due to supersede it is in full operation. I wouldn't be surprised, if over the next 5 years, it was increased 4 fold, but thats just speculation on my part.
    Yes, it is just speculation, but well placed speculation.
    I've no idea at all. This thread is about the household charge.
    I see them as being connected. Local services include water do they not? It is just a way of trying to soften the blow and separate the force of opposition. It is difficult to fight 3 separate taxes (water/house/septic) instead of just one household tax to cover all 3.
    I've no idea what the charge will be in 2014. Do I think it will increase? Yes. do I think it will increase 10 fold? No
    True. That i itself is part of the problem. The government not communicating and when they do, it is filled with so much BS. I voted FG, based on their promises. I didn't expect all to be kept, but for almost every one to be broken and then some is just a disgrace.
    What's wrong with looking for sources and quotes? Better than wild speculation, misinformation and scaremongering.
    Every other response you ask for the source or line where the MOU report says such a thing, but you have already read it. Would be better to just say "the MOU says no such thing", if that is your interpretation/belief.
    It'll go into the general exchequer receipts (either directly, or into the services that the Governement says it will be going into, displacing Government funding for those service). It will be spent on all of the things we spend our other tax receipts on - public services, closing the borrowing requirement and paying debt.

So the government should maybe tell us this? The truth hurts, but lies and deception when discovered is far harder to forgive. I am right wing, but I find myself being drawn toward the left and it makes me feel sick. At this rate...Sinn Fein will be in government next term. My head is spinning. I have to lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyone interested can let the Government know their ideas about the property tax. One thing which has been decided already is that the NPPR will be abolished so anyone with more than one house will not have to pay any extra over and above the property tax on each of their properties.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/LocalGovernmentAdministration/LocalGovernmentFinance/Inter-DepartmentalGrouponPropertyTax/

You were going to provide a link to where, in the MOU there is a reference to the government intention to increase the property tax to 1.6bn by 2014.
    Did you manage to find it?

What I can see on the household charge/property tax is:

and

No I did not say the troika were specifying the actual tax, they are dictating what extra tax has to be raised, that is 1.6 bn in 2013. The property tax is what they are using to "broaden" the tax base.

Latest memorandum reveals more austerity ahead in Budget 2013

14/02/12

THE LATEST MEMORANDUM of Understanding (MoU) between the Troika and the government has confirmed that “at least €3.5 billion” will be taken out of the economy in the next budget through tax increases and reductions in spending on social welfare and capital projects.
    The document,

You didn't mention the ninth review.

"7. Actions for the ninth review (actions to be completed by end Q4-2012)"
    specifically states an increase in property tax.

I was asking about the specific claim that the government intends to increase this tax to bring in 1.6bn by 2014.

Can you point to evidence of that specific intention either on this thread or elsewhere?
    It's in the MOU.
    No I did not say the troika were specifying the actual tax, they are dictating what extra tax has to be raised, that is 1.6 bn in 2013.

OK. Perhaps English isn't your first language.

Anyone interested can let the Government know their ideas about the property tax. One thing which has been decided already is that the NPPR will be abolished so anyone with more than one house will not have to pay any extra over and above the property tax on each of their properties.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/LocalGovernmentAdministration/LocalGovernmentFinance/Inter-DepartmentalGrouponPropertyTax/

"The Group is also to consider the appropriate arrangements for:
    • a robust audit function; and
    strong enforcement and penalty provisions for non-compliance."

They'd never consider a "lein" I'm sure.
    dvpower wrote:
    OK. Perhaps English isn't your first language.

You were having your own problems with it not too long ago! A short memory too?

I see you chose to ignore this too...
    Slick50 wrote:
    You didn't mention the ninth review.

"7. Actions for the ninth review (actions to be completed by end Q4-2012)"
    specifically states an increase in property tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I've been thinking about this tax a lot lately and
    nope, still not paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Taxes are not optional.

You can't choose to not pay VAT.

You can't choose to not pay income tax.

I can choose not to pay somebody else's though.
    Not paying someone else's gambling debts.

You were having your own problems with it not too long ago! A short memory too?
    I'm not sure what you're referring to - maybe because of my short term memory problems.
    I see you chose to ignore this too...
    Have a read up the page - I posted the details of the Q4 Review, and I've acknowledged the fact that the tax is going to rise, as specified in the Q4 Review, a couple of times in the last few pages.
    My copy of the MOU has the Q4-2012 review as the Eight, not the Ninth review, so this might have thrown you.

Perhaps before you respond to a post, you might read the contents over a couple of times and we might avoid this kind of basic misunderstanding.

I'm not sure what you're referring to - maybe because of my short term memory problems.

Let me refresh your memory for you...
    Slick50 wrote:
    dvpower wrote:
    The property tax is in the MOU. This was in place before the election so it isn't something that was cobbled together.

I think you are deliberately miss-understanding me. I said the coalition is something that is cobbled together, not the MOU.

Perhaps before you respond to a post, you might read the contents over a couple of times and we might avoid this kind of basic misunderstanding.

I'll do that. And if you take your own advice, you can avoid the same basic mistake.(pot meet kettle, ring any bells))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Interesting comments from Leo V. on The Week in Politics when asked to comment on only 10% having paid the €100 Tax. "It doesn't have to be paid by end of month...as long as its paid by end of tax year we will actually make more money on late fees".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Just back from the pub.
    There was some guy down there crying he had lost E500 on the rugby today. Wanted us to have a whip-round to make up his loss. 39.49% of us told him to fcuk off...........

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Interesting comments from Leo V. on The Week in Politics when asked to comment on only 10% having paid the €100 Tax. "It doesn't have to be paid by end of month...as long as its paid by end of tax year we will actually make more money on late fees".

That eijet is going to get himself into a lot of trouble. See how smug he was about it? I bet he will back track on that, just like he back tracked on "not a single RED cent". Wonderful how we can record these things and they still don't admit their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got my leaflet today.....Yipee! It's now in the bin.The postman didn't deliver it,they are paying a leaflet distribution company to have them delivered,will some of the €100 tax cover that?

Anyhow,they can send me a million leaflets,I'm still not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

zerks wrote: »
    Got my leaflet today.....Yipee! It's now in the bin.The postman didn't deliver it,they are paying a leaflet distribution company to have them delivered,will some of the €100 tax cover that?

Anyhow,they can send me a million leaflets,I'm still not paying.

I sent mine back to Phil Hogan when it came. Get it out of the bin (if its not too late) and do the same.

The address is Minister Phil Hogan, Grovine, Co. Kilkenny :D. Just make sure to deface it enough so that it cant be used again ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I've paid. Before they start applying all the late fees and you end up having to pay those as well as the frickin 100 euro.

D_murph wrote: »
    I sent mine back to Phil Hogan when it came. Get it out of the bin (if its not too late) and do the same.

The address is Minister Phil Hogan, Grovine, Co. Kilkenny :D. Just make sure to deface it enough so that it cant be used again ;).

So you're advocating sending defaced documents to Phil Hogan's private home address?

Why is that you want to target his home address rather than his Department address or constituency office? Intimidation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

So little money, so many posts. This thread depresses me. There are so many joyless people in this country. Was it always this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've paid. Before they start applying all the late fees and you end up having to pay those as well as the frickin 100 euro.

You must scare easily,you're the type of person this shower in government love.Wait 'til next year when they want 3 or 4 times the amount you just payed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement