Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over the next few years will everyone in Ireland under 30 have a degree.

• 30-08-2011 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Just wondering because my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's are going to college, no one appeared to be going in to any sort of training or getting a job and even those of her friends who did apprenticeships are going to college to top up their qualification to a degree.

So I predict that by say 2040 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college. ( changed it a bit )

Is that a good Idea and will it save Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,368 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You dont have a Degree?

EWE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I only just got mine and I am just over 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My sister-in-law's kids won't be getting degrees, and they'll still be under 30 in 2020.

Unless they buy them on the internet. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

mariaalice wrote: »
    Just wondering because my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's are going to college, no one appeared to be going in to any sort of training or getting a job and even those of her friends who did apprenticeships are going to college to top up there qualification to a degree.

So I predict that by say 2020 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college.

Extrapolating from a small set of data (i.e my daughters and all her friends and acquittance's) to come to a conclusion on an entire generation of under 30's does not stand up to any scrutiny.

In other words your 'prediction' is almost certainly incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Art degrees dont count

• Advertisement

Dancor wrote: »
    Art degrees dont count

What about Arts degrees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Will there be anyone under 30 left in the country is probably a more relevant question.

We will educate them but we wont be able to employ them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

acquaintances????

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Pherekydes wrote: »
    My sister-in-law's kids won't be getting degrees, and they'll still be under 30 in 2020.

Why not just say your brothers kids? or your neices & Nephews? Trying to distance yourself from these undesirables? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Short answer - no.

As someone says above, you're basing your idea on a small sample. There arestill plenty of areas in the country where going to third level is the exception rather than the rule.

Also "degree" is a very generic term. Will there be a degree in housepainting, plumbing, professional golf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So I predict that by say 2040 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college.

I doubt it, really can't imagine 4 year olds having a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

And another thing! all her female friend are doing an Arts type degree or a fine Art/design type course, all her male friends are doing engineering/ computers/ science type courses.

sealgaire wrote: »
    Why not just say your brothers kids? or your neices & Nephews? Trying to distance yourself from these undesirables? :o

If they were my brother's kids I'd say my nephews and neices, but they're my wife's sister's kids.

Yes. :pac:

Prospective Employer: How do you feel you're qualified for this job?
    Nephew-in-law: I got a 'A' in LC maths.
    Employer: But it was at foundation level...:confused:

My post was a bit tongue in cheek ( this is After hours )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Its a pity they wont have a job to match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I for one think it’s very important that although money is tight, we still keep investment in our children’s education as a priority. This will make it easier for them to find work abroad when they emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No, there are a massive amount of people who can barely do the l.c., let alone go to and finish college. Look at the literacy rates for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Musa Melted Tick

WindSock wrote: »
    No, there are a massive amount of people who can barely do the l.c., let alone go to and finish college. Look at the literacy rates for example.
    I can't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

This, plus the underprivileged, the addicts and the homeless = this thread is pretty ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Pherekydes wrote: »

Can I have a look into your magic ball please?

The future is not written, maybe they will leave jobs and return to education.
    a large number of people realise what they really want to do as they get older.

• Advertisement

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Can I have a look into your magic ball please?

Pfft, you didn't ask to see the OP's.

OMG I am going to behave like a teenager now!!!!!:rolleyes: this thread is partly a joke!!! ( with a slightly serious point thrown in )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No, not everyone will have one, for the reasons outlined above.

They will become much more common though, as so many employers already use degrees as shorthand for gauging a lot about prospective employees, and it's more difficult to gain employment in lots of areas without a degree.

In our parents' generation (well, my parents) a degree wasn't so common, and just passing an Arts Degree could see you well pretty well set up.

Now qualifications are much more important, you'll see more people getting degrees and thus making having one less of a status symbol. Arguably we're already there. Look at the public perception of an Arts Degree (not counting those like myself who get one and go on to do masters etc). Sure, it's better to have one than not at all, but not by much. I'm one of the first people to get bored with tired old Arts Degree jokes, but it is pretty easy to get one, judging by the number of people in my year who graduated without doing a tap of work.

So yeah, more people will have a degree in the future, but not everyone as not everyone will need or want one. And the fact that they'll be more common means they'll be less valuable. Even now, you're probably better off with a good trade than an Arts degree with no further qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

And another thing! all her female friend are doing an Arts type degree or a fine Art/design type course, all her male friends are doing engineering/ computers/ science type courses.

And that's because only like 3 of them know what they want to do with their lives. The rest are fooling themselves to think they know what they want to do. Just like I did, just like everyone does. But the fact is, most are gonna end up as office drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I hope the girls are good-looking or doing languages in those Arts courses...

otherwise they'll be rather over-qualified on the dole queue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Careful discussing degrees round these here parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, what do you expect when there are no "entry level" jobs left? To apply for a job in a bar today, you need to have 2 years experience working in a bar. (Look at the ads on jobs.ie to see what I mean.) How do you get that experience? The bar owner doesn't care, since he can always get someone with 2 years experience. The job doesn't require two years experience: it's just a way of reducing the number of people applying for every job posted.

Apprenticeships? Good luck with that. There aren't many of them around, and competition is fierce. What's left for someone leaving school? University or Emigration.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There's loads of thickos that won't get degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

McGaggs wrote: »
    There's loads of thickos that won't get degrees.

And I know loads of thickos who already have degrees.

Not having a degree doesn't make you thick.

• Advertisement

So I predict that by say 2040 everybody under 30 in Ireland will have been to college. ( changed it a bit )

Plenty of folk will never get a degree, a good percentage of people fail the LC miserably.

Advertisement