Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 Miles Easy, which has helped recover from yesterday's 3 sessions. 31 mins, @ 4:54/km. Tomorrow, going for a hike/run again in the afternoon, so the scheduled session will have to be moved.

Wed: Strength training + Run/Hike - Wicklow Way
    Thu: 4 Miles w/ 2@PRP + 9k @Easy pace
    Frid: Strength training + 3 Miles Easy w/Strides
    Sat: 4x400m Reps @5K pace
    Sun: XBox. Possibly 6 Miles Easy.

12 Miles from Crone Wood up around Prince William's Seat and back again.
    Ran about 2/3 of the distance and hiked up the steep hills.

Feeling tired and sore. Need to catch up on my speed-work though.

4 Miles, with 2 miles @ race pace:
    Mile 2: 4:00/km (6:26)
    Mile 3: 4:04/km (6:33)

Still a little quicker than I should be running, but it was easier than last week's 2 mile race pace run, despite yesterday's long hill run. Still ran out of steam towards the end. Another 6 miles this evening (easy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hey Krusty, you're going strong. Making me quite envious reading your hill routes, I've never ran PWS yet, will do someday- are you thinking of doing any IMRA runs next year?

Thanks donothoponpop. The double session days are largely unintentional. I'm trying to stick to Amadeus' BAC training schedule and still go running a couple of days a week with a few friends. It's probably resulting in a lot of 'dead' miles, but I enjoy running, so what the hell...

I'm looking forward to the resumption of the IMRA races, particularly the Wednesday evening (Leinster League?) races, which were a lot of fun. I don't yet have the level of cardio fitness to run all the way to the top, but it's such a different experience to the big, formal, chipped and sponsored races, that I really enjoyed them. I only did two, as I joined late, and then with the Longford marathon in August, gave 'em up due to risk of injury. But will hopefully do a lot more next year.

Time to get ready.. Next six miles are a 'callin. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good running KC and good pace. Sounds like you're in good form for the Aware run. With your hill training you'll have a good base for your next marathon challenge whenever that is ;)

3 Miles in Shanganagh Park, with strides. Overall pace: 4:26/km.

First ever interval session, and it seemed to go very well.
    15 Minute warm-up and subsequent warm down. Did 8 x 400m repetitions, with 200m rest. I was aiming for a sub 4:00/km pace, but averaged somewhere around 3:45/km pace for the intervals.
    1:33/1:30/1:31/1:30/1:29/1:29/1:30/1:33

Had plenty left in the tank after the repetitions. I launched into a ninth rep, before I realized I was done, and was in warm-down phase (would've been a long 15 minute interval!). Forerunner 405 worked out brilliant. Looking forward to doing more of these sessions.

Ran a fast practice 10K today. Average pace 4:16km, so finished in 42:46, a whole half minute better than my personal best. I'm very happy with that, as there were strong winds in my face on some of the way out and also some of the return leg (spiteful winds!). Also, on the back of a 50 mile week, and an interval session yesterday, should hopefully allow for some room for improvement for the Aware 10k.

Was pretty wrecked afterwards, but there's definitely still gains to be made (particularly if there aren't strong winds constantly in my face in Phoenix park and lesser hills than today's route). Knee giving me some feedback, but will stick to strength training and footie tomorrow.

Going to run the Aware course next week (target time = sub 1 hour) just to get an idea of the hills, and the layout, so will report back with maps and elevation profiles after Thursday's run. Positive end to a tough week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Krusty- some great running going on there

• Advertisement

Morning: HH strength training
    Afternoon: 2K warmup, followed by 6.5kms on the football pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good going on the 10k progress Krusty!

4 Mile Lactate Threshold run scheduled for today.
    Did a 2K warm-up, then struggled to get my heart rate up into the Lactate threshold zone, which by my calculations, would be 152-171bpm (80-90%).

Finally got it into the right zone, after 3.5kms, and kept it up there for for the next 6.5kms (4 miles), so in the end did 10kms. Average HR for the 4 miles would have been around 156 (around 82%).

Question: Does LT training work better if you are closer to the higher end of your LT zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

Question: Does LT training work better if you are closer to the higher end of your LT zone?

Not necessarily - LT training is all about working at the specific "threshold", i.e. you don't want to be working things too hard as that would negate the benefits of LT training. I think Pfitzinger and Douglas say that slower runners should work at the faster end of the LT zone, and faster runners should work at the slower end (but they don't really say what a faster runner or slower runner is) - would imagine you'd be in the faster runner category though.

Thanks Peckham. I had a quick flick through P&D this morning. I didn't realize they had a whole Appendix section devoted to pace for Lactate Threshold and VO2max training. Very useful! They also seem to emphasize tempo and interval running for LT training (albeit for marathon training) so my 4 mile above LT run may not have been ideal.

HH Strength training, followed by a 5 mile easy run around Puck's Castle in Rathmichael. Nice invigorating hill run up Puck's Castle Road, followed by a brisk couple of kilometers, coming back down. Av pace: 4:55.

Looking forward to a day off on Saturday, as I'm 10 days on the trot at this stage. Next few days:
    Thu: Easy 10K - Will do this in Phoenix Park on the Aware course
    Fri: 8x800m @ 5K pace with 200m recovery
    Sat: Rest
    Sunday: 8-10 mile LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

KC, we seem to be almost mimicing each others training days and training runs :-) . I'm often up and around there, running from Cabinteely and back (hills can be tough), but a great workout.

Stalker! :eek: I'm very fortunate to have Rathmichael, The Scalp, Carrigologan and Glencullen in my back-garden (not literally, sadly), and Shanganagh Park across the road for speed-work.

I'm looking forward to marathon training again, and the long runs in the hills.. None of this 10k lark. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

great running and dedication Krusty,my wife tells me i'm obsessed with running...i should let her read your log ...might get me off the hook.
    Well done and keep it up.

PS
    It must be difficult finding running shoes that size !

Sosa wrote: »
    great running and dedication Krusty,my wife tells me i'm obsessed with running...i should let her read your log ...might get me off the hook.
    Well done and keep it up.

PS
    It must be difficult finding running shoes that size !
    LOL. Cheers.. I'm currently on a career break, so I get to do my running during the day, when everyone else is in work (including my wife), so I'm a secret binge runner. :)
    I should join runners anonymous. :o

• Advertisement

you could be doing alot worse

Today, I headed into Phoenix Park to do a reccy of the 10K course. My running buddy (sub 1hr-10k) had to beg-off due to an injury, so I ended up running it a good deal faster than I had originally intended. In the end, did it in around the 44 minute mark at a comfortable pace. Being not too familiar with Phoenix Park, had to stop and check out the map a few times! I'll post my analysis of the route in my next post in a few mins.

It's a lovely scenic run. Far nicer than the BUPA 10K course, but this comes at a price, in the form of a couple of hills.
    Check out: my beautiful coloured map!
    1st Hill: is at Lower Glen Road (4kms), is about a kilometer long, but isn't too steep, and has a lovely recovery run off for the next kilometer so no real need to slow down.
    2nd Hill: is at Acres Road (6kms), by the Chapelizod entrance to the Park and is a little bit deceptive. When you round the bend at the top of the hill, you realize there's a couple more bends with further uphills. A nice flat section afterwards to recover.
    3rd Hill: As you go past the Fort/Garrison(?) at the meeting point of Military road and Kyber Road you hit the last hill. It's gentle, but tiring, as it comes at the 8km-9km point and 'feels' like it goes on for a while. When you reach the top of the hill, you'll be at the triangle just before the flat last kilometer stretch to the finish line.

The Start/Finish area is very exposed, so it will likely be very cold on race morning. I think I'll be bringing a black bag for the start and end of the race!

Other stuff:
    Elevation Profile
    Interactive Google Map
    My beautiful coloured map (again)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey Krusty I love your maps etc. How do get all that? Is it from your forerunner? Does it do all that?

Also can you come down and run the 10ks I've planned for next year around Limerick and Clare? The information you just posted is priceless

Hi Bally8, yes it's all from the Forerunner. The Forerunner creates a file called something like: 27112008 140432.tcx (where the first part is the date, and the second is the time you started). If you convert the file to GPX (GPS XML) then there are lots of web-based tools you can use to play around with it.

One of the most useful is Adam Schneider's www.GPSVisualizer.com, which will do the conversion from TCX to GPX, but also create the google maps html and elevation profiles. My beautiful coloured map was made in Paintbrush. :D

You can also use your Forerunner when hiking, for geo-tagging your photos (kind of like this). I'm looking forward to bringing mine skiing in January to see how it works out. I used to lug around a GPS receiver.

I'm having a Krusty week next week.
    The wife off to work at 9,Child to school ...
    no work until 12 myself ...
    I'll sneek a few runs in early ...
    All i have to do is give the place a bit of a hoover and everyones happy !

Sosa wrote: »
    I'm having a Krusty week...
    LOL. Sounds like an illness! I chose my Boards username years before I started running. Otherwise, I would be called 'athleto-man', or 'runner_of _significant_achievement' or I would be named after a Greek god, like...Achilles... ...or maybe not....

Enjoy your week of running freedom! Be free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

LOL. Sounds like an illness! I chose my Boards username years before I started running. Otherwise, I would be called 'athleto-man', or 'runner_of _significant_achievement' or I would be named after a Greek god, like...Achilles... ...or maybe not....

Enjoy your week of running freedom! Be free!
    I know what you mean i picked mine years ago too. When i posted on the Athletics first before i did i was looking to see if i could change it.

8 x 800 metres, with 200m walk/jog between. Average pace: 3:50/km. Average HR: 156.
    Not nearly as much fun as the 400m intervals!
    Total: 12kms.

No running for nearly 48 hours. Phew.
    Weights/strength training tomorrow, and 11 mile LSR on Sunday.

• Advertisement

12 Mile sociable urban run this morning. Shankill, Foxrock, Deansgrange, and then followed the green belt back to Killiney, and up over Killiney Avenue. Paths were very icy, but it was a very pleasant run. Total for the week ~ 42 miles.

Advertisement