Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] Walnut Semi Solid Flooring

• 23-05-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for good value walnut semi solid flooring. I'd like around a 5 inch wide board. Trouble is, I need over 120 square metres of the stuff, so I need to get a good price. I'm hoping someone here has just finished a trawl of the country and found exactly what I need ! (There's always hope :D )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Hi,

Check out http://www.floors2go.co.uk/ up North who have branches in Derry and Newry.

I found out about them in the my below request thread and gave feedback in entry no 16.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055021068&referrerid=&highlight=request+wood+flooring+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I laid solid Acacia that I bought from Clondalkin Builder Providers in over half of my ground floor and absolutely love it, as does everyone that see it.

They retailed it at €37 p/sq yd when I bought it, but I got it for €30 through a contact - with the large amount you have to buy I reckon you could get it for €30. Brooks had it at €45 and marked as 'Sale Price' a while back.

I personally prefer the mild shine off the finish and find the wood more interesting than the matt finish on walnut. It's supposed to be 90% harder than Oak which is another plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭hamrog

Try ringing Irwins in Castleblayney. They have a large showroom with a huge variety and at a good price. I bought solid walnut flooring off them last year and they were the best price by a long shot of all the places I checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭masterK

I almost bought semi-solid walnut floors a few weeks ago. That was until somebody recommended I gently rub a coin over them in the showrooms, I was shocked how easily they marked, that put me right off. I did this on 4 or 5 different semi solid walnuts in different shops, they all marked. Reading up on it walnut is one of the softest woods you can get.

But if you really want them Noyeks were reasonably and were willing to knock a decent amount of the price for a large area. Woodworkers in Terenure were also a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Not exactly what OP is asking but I got solid walnut from Emerald tiles and floors in Dundalk for €49 per sq yard in January. Lovely floor and dont find it too bad for scratches. There are a few very small marks on it after 4 months but you will have that with a 2 year old running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

masterK wrote:
    I almost bought semi-solid walnut floors a few weeks ago. That was until somebody recommended I gently rub a coin over them in the showrooms, I was shocked how easily they marked, that put me right off. I did this on 4 or 5 different semi solid walnuts in different shops, they all marked. Reading up on it walnut is one of the softest woods you can get.

But if you really want them Noyeks were reasonably and were willing to knock a decent amount of the price for a large area. Woodworkers in Terenure were also a decent price.

Gosh.. thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try and see if it's softer than I had assumed. Is there some scale for relative hardness of woods like the Mohs scale for precious stones?

Is that Acacia wood harder than Walnut?

masterK what did you end up choosing instead of the walnut?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rungmc

Do not rub coins on showroom displays! its extremly bad manners, and is tantamount to malicious damage! Ask the shop assisatant to help you!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Am I seeing things or is this thread really ancient and brought back from the dead?

Anyways if any is looking for flooring... I bought from http://www.completelyflooring.co.uk/ and it was free delivery to Ireland. Excellent prices. Although I bought QuickStep walnut laminate and it looks great. Completely mark free after serious abuse from kids. If I used solid or semi-solid, it would be wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 icejoey

I bought mine from www.bpmsupplies.ie and they fitted it but I got oak semi solid
    I think it was 25 a yard Inc fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Am I seeing things or is this thread really ancient and brought back from the dead?

Whoooa! It's the second coming, we've all been saved from the end of the world!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement