Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I found Money

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Someone probably just got a loan from the Credit Union as they are struggling to pay bills.

Karma will catch up with you anyway OP. Maybe in the form of a bus! :rolleyes:

He'll probably keep that as well!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

four18 wrote: »
    I cant believe none of you would keep it ? No one ?
    Old people tend to carry cash in envelopes. Well done op you've stolen the money that fell off some auld fella's bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was the name Bertie on the envelope?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

alphabeat wrote: »
    i found money like this once , and put up notices in shops near where it was found .
    not saying how much was in it

3 weeks later a young woman called , and knew exaclty how much was in it to the penny. it was her wages from shop she worked in .

i was smashed and really needed the money badly .

but she got it back , and i felt good .

Its posts like that which shows me daily that there are still some very decent people in Ireland.
    Thank you alphabeat. That type of attitude and action makes you a further credit to Ireland - and your family!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

€300 - that wouldn't even get me a good days punting for Cheltenham in 2 weeks time ffs :rolleyes:

The money wouldn't make a difference to me tbh but it may to the person who lost it so I'd hand it in!

Anyone else hoping the OP loses €400 tomorrow??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

OP this is a discussion board, not a confessional if you are looking for absolution see a priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I am keeping it, What would you suggest ? Garda station ? Not paying for a garda to go to coppers tonight. Would any of you pocket it ? be honest !

If you are not happy giving it to a Garda then why don't you give it to charity? Plenty of worthy causes out there that would welcome that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a cut of the €300, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Jaysus Ireland is still Holy. Still keeping it. Would nobody else keep it ? I would love a peep inside your souls.......

I would hand it in the Garda station without question - Karma will kick your ass otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why would you start a thread knowing that you will be slated and trying to defend yourself ? If you knew you were going to be judged for being a thief, why admit to it ? Why not just go on about your business with your three hundred quid and enjoy yourself instead of coming on here to show yourself up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i have found money on the street/school/work and handed it in before. a few times actually, i seem to keep finding it
    in this case i think i would do the usual "sum of money found" notes in the nearby area

Skerries wrote: »
    unless it has some form of I.D. in it there is not much chance of it being identified so the law of finders keepers applies here
    If it was a wallet, that would be a different matter

If a person can show by confirmation from a bank, near where it was lost and know the exact amount and the approx time it was lost, there is a very good chance that the Gardi would trust a person walking in to their station and saying they lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I am keeping it, What would you suggest ? Garda station ? Not paying for a garda to go to coppers tonight. Would any of you pocket it ? be honest !

The Gardaí? F*** that! That'll never see the owner again, but you'll be told it will. I'd sooner give it to SVP or the likes if you feel a bit guilty. Be better than some cop to spend on doughnuts and coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Finding is not theiving, robbing is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

no pic no proof

Holding onto something that you know is not yours, I believe is still a crime in this country - no matter how you got the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Before you all jump up on your Moral high ground, Yes I am going to keep it. 6x50 euro in a white envelope. Its either me or the guard I hand it to at the station, and dont be telling me any different. I hate types that tell me to hand it in and probably rob stuff in work or live at home and hand up a pittance every week for their keep. AND if you still live at home, have the guts to share how much you hand up each week...Washing ironing, hot water, evening meal, open all hours fridge etc !! internet etc.
    What's the point of your thread?
    Did you find the money near a bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've misplaced my backpack before, and my wallet at least twice.

I got them back, but only because there are decent people out there who aren't opportunistic *****.

OP, you sound like a dick IMO - keep it if you want, but don't expect me (or anyone on here) to clap you on the back for it, as you've probably made somebody's life very, very difficult today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Whats the point of this thread? Are you boasting, or looking for justification of what you did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So if you "find" a car with the keys in it and drive away with it then it's yours and you've not broken any laws ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ehhh no,, legally finding and keeping is stealing and you can be done for it.

If you hand it up and it is not claimed in a year and a day then it is returned to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

COYW wrote: »
    If you are not happy giving it to a Garda then why don't you give it to charity?

charity! to help pay for the pension of their CEO, ya right they're as big a bunch of crooks as the filth....

he should look to find the owner himself or just spend it, no need for a third party

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Biggins wrote: »
    Holding onto something that you know is not yours, I believe is still a crime in this country - no matter how you got the item.

Sure they might have left it there for you. It might be Mario Balotelli just leaving random envelopes around the place. You wouldn't know like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Lol, a thread about beating a puppy would have been better. Amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Was the name Bertie on the envelope?
    He said a white envelope, not brown... :pac:
    Jaysus Ireland is still Holy. Still keeping it. Would nobody else keep it ? I would love a peep inside your souls.......
    Decent != holy.

At the very least I would have thought you'd ask around in locality... For shame OP, for shame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not even a PAEDOPHILE would do that

By the way, where was it found?
    If it was on a main city high-street, there is a somewhat small chance that the street is covered by CCTV?
    A quick check by Gardi when someone comes in and reports the loss in hope it was handed in (with the approx time), and there's a small chance (however small) that someday Karma will come back to grab you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I think you know what you're doing is wrong and you came here hoping for a few people to tell you they would keep it too, that way you wouldn't feel as guilty.

Would you not even try to make some bit of effort to find the owner? At least if you made an effort to find the person, you could spend the money in peace if you couldn't find the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I was collecting JSA from the post office a couple of weeks ago, and handed her €2 so she could give me my payment in all notes. Later that day when I was lodging it into the bank the teller told me that I'd an extra €10 and asked if I wanted to lodge it all. The lady in the post office had given me €10 too much. I went back the next day and handed it back to the same lady. She had realised her mistake soon after I'd left the previous day and was very grateful at my returning it.

To further rebutt the OP's opinion of a typical AH lurker; I'm currently back living with my folks. I buy all my own food, do all my own cooking, washing, ironing. I help with cleaning the house, mow the lawns and hand up considerably more than my share of the bills.

OP I hope you will reconsider handing the money into the guards. Someone somewhere is having a very stressful time because of losing that cash.

Advertisement