Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 mobile broadband, Letterkenny

• 12-02-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Anyone have this? Is it down for you? Mine has been down since last night and was still down this morning as I was leaving. I really need it to be up this evening when I go home, or else I have to stay in town to send some emails. Can't ring them from work. Sent them an email but it's a 24-hour response time (at best).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Mine is working right now but the quality has been pathetic since around Christmas time, I know a lot of people who cant connect at all recently even though they always had a decent signal in the past.

If you ring up its just people in India who give generic responces about the mast being down for repair, the weather is weakening the signal etc. Ive been through it many times and its pointless for the most part.

Give it a couple of days but if it doesnt come back you should call comreg & try and get your money back for the month which is what we're in the process of doing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Have they changed their supplier since November? Using a UK modem in November I was able to connect just fine out in Portnoo area.
    Come January, it was a gonner. I do still have credit on the dongle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

So, just the normal 3 service then!

Pretty much yeah..

This is my speed tonight..totally pathetic as I said, dont know how they can get away with charging us full price considering theyre offering nothing close to what they advertise

715957897.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If that was happening to me Id write to them and complain and then ask for a proper service or a refund. If they dont agree then refer the matter to COMREG.

Those speeds are ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I just ran the same test on my fixed line bb.

716044127.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I know everyone complains about o2 mobile broadband, but i've been using it for almost 2 years in various areas of Letterkenny (Mountain top, Dromore and now Drumkeen) and the speeds are never as bad as that, even at peak times. This is now, which is fairly slow for this time of night, normally its closer to 2mb/s

716089091.png

muffler wrote: »
    If that was happening to me Id write to them and complain and then ask for a proper service or a refund. If they dont agree then refer the matter to COMREG.

Those speeds are ridiculous.

Yeah, as I said in my first post we've already been in contact with comreg over it. It was always fine before Christmas, or to be more exact it was reasonably acceptable before Christmas but ever since then the service has just totally gone. The best speed I ever seem to get is around 30kbps, on occasion it gets better but drops off again after 5 minutes.

We only called comreg last week as we just complained to 3's costumer service before that. It has to be bad for a week from the point you contact comreg for them to take it any further though so we'll be getting back to them in the next few days and see if we can get out money back

Also, Im guessing you must have some sort of upgraded modem? Thought the top speed was 3.6mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Harps wrote: »
    It was always fine before Christmas, or to be more exact it was reasonably acceptable before Christmas but ever since then the service has just totally gone. The best speed I ever seem to get is around 30kbps, on occasion it gets better but drops off again after 5 minutes.

Interesting thread here as I am just about to buy a 3 modem.

I suspect the problem is caused by adding more users without upgrading the infrastructure capacity. They, 3, are aggressively rolling out the government broadband scheme so maybe the "cart is put before the horse" here.
    I expect speeds will improve as they upgrade and lobbying Comreg will probably get it done sooner. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

I was taking to a lad at work today he said he was at a job installing antenas for 3 to boost signal strenght he said it was mainly in rural areas but it would be worth looking into i guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

danjo wrote: »
    Interesting thread here as I am just about to buy a 3 modem.

I suspect the problem is caused by adding more users without upgrading the infrastructure capacity. They, 3, are aggressively rolling out the government broadband scheme so maybe the "cart is put before the horse" here.
    I expect speeds will improve as they upgrade and lobbying Comreg will probably get it done sooner. :cool:

They told me 3 years ago that they were putting up a mast in my area as my phone coverage was rubbish. they are still using that phrase now.3 are a joke of a company. do yourself a favour and avoid like the plague.

Smart broadband is the best broadband available in Ireland. 02, and 3 are years behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

Anyone have this now and what is the verdict - thinking of getting this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i never recommend them dongles,

data caps are always to low, coverage isn't the greatest etc

if there is any chance of you getting either wimax (right in letterkenny center) or smart telecom go with them, smart have free line connection at the minute too, or are running some sort of deal. switching to them fingers crossed end of the month

Dont think either of these do mobile broadband - Which is what im looking for as I live in 2 different towns [Home at wkends]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

if both are in a wimax area afaik you can just take it with you but the odds are slim for good coverage in both

hmmm ill check this out - cheers lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I used 3 mobile broadband but its pure and utter shoite. 3 and O2 are not much better. Using meteor now and that gives trouble too. Some days its just impossible to get a thing to load fully, constant connection resets all the time

Advertisement