Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apple cider vinegar for knee pain

• 10-07-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

a friend of mine mentioned something about a orthopedic recommending dousing a cloth in apple cider vinegar and wrapping it around the knee as a cure for pain. anyone ever done it? have problems with my knees myself .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

I have never heard of that. I have heard that increase the bodies metabolism of fat. As for the knee pain have you tried taking glucosamine and chondrotin tablets?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I seriously doubt that would work. The majority of knee pain is inside the knee (i.e. underneath the skin) so wrapping your skin with a piece of cloth soaked in vinegar would hardly accomplish anything.

But then again, I'm a pilot, not a doctor, so what do I know. You should try it - it's not like it costs anything (aside from the cost of the vinegar) and it can't harm you.

If it doesn't work, I would suggest a GP visit or physio.

Is the problem with both of your knees or just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I would suggest a GP visit or physio.
    +1

Regarding the other supplements mentioned above - my surgeon (who has operated on both my knees) says they are unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I'd say if you drink enough cider you wont notice any knee pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

apparently wrapping your knee with white cabbage(wet i presume) helps with knee pain.

Never tried it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

It's cabbage leaves to relieve the discomfort of engorged breasts

http://www.pregnancy.org/article/treatments-for-breastfeeding-cabbage-leaves-herbs-lecithin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

flickerx wrote: »
    I'd say if you drink enough cider you wont notice any knee pain.

ha, good one,

no to be honest just wondering if anyone has heard of it, these days we are a bit over reliant on drugs etc that some times old wives ways if you will, work just as well,

myself i have a problem with both knees, have done physio and rehab and a course of 4 months anti inflammatories with little effect so im willing to try anything, failing that im looking at key hole surgery on each knee - one at a time which could mean missing a total of 6 months work and cycling so like i said willing to try anything , maybe drinking the cider aint such a bad idea after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

I use one of these :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Mueller_Adjustable_Knee_Support/5360016046/

Works a treat, no knee pain whatsoever, although the straps can be a bit uncomfortable behind the knee at times, even did the ROK with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

Murph100 wrote: »
    I use one of these :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Mueller_Adjustable_Knee_Support/5360016046/

Works a treat, no knee pain whatsoever, although the straps can be a bit uncomfortable behind the knee at times, even did the ROK with one.

i have a few things like that but i wouldnt want to use them cycling, far too sweaty etc especially behind the knee, to be honest when im cycling i dont get any knee pain , its when i walk i have problems., i did see this on wiggle though and was wondering if it would work at all.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Mueller_Jumpers_Knee_Strap/5360018573/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i play a lot of squash and knee and leg pain is a norm not to monition my cycling ,we use a mix of putteen,olive oil ,winter green or deep heat shaken in a bottle it works .

how does it work who knows but this my take on it the pure putteen gets into the skin it brings the winter green with it and the olive oil helps with the massage .
    against cold air it will not work as well but if you use it at home or going to bed why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

I hear ya, but to be fair, that one I have has nothing behind the kneecap itself, its straps are further apart, still a little annoying but does the job.

I must give that jumpers strap a go, as it might just work.

i have a few things like that but i wouldnt want to use them cycling, far too sweaty etc especially behind the knee, to be honest when im cycling i dont get any knee pain , its when i walk i have problems., i did see this on wiggle though and was wondering if it would work at all.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Mueller_Jumpers_Knee_Strap/5360018573/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

The jumper's strap is of little use on its own. It must be complemented with tri shorts and compression socks.

Accompaning songs are obviously optional but some wearers opt for anything from Cabaret or Rocky Horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

.Its been used on horses knees and tendons for years. The theory being the vinegar works as a blister by mildly burning the skin around the knee and causing an increase in blood flow to the whole area and Helping in repair.

If you want to try mix 1/3 water,vinegar and methyleted spirits and wrap your knee in the cloth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Briar Salty Spacesuit

you may want to try stretching your calf muscles - i had a good few issues with knee pain , deep burning pain around the bottom of the knee cap, and found by doing calf toe stretches - and loosening the calf - it vanished after a month

also
    had a different case of knee pain - and one day lifting a box, my back spasmed out - back healed in a weekend , and the knee pain vanished .

your knee pain may be due to something other than your knee ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Remember, there isn't really a 'knee' muscle. Your knee is supported by hamstrings, quads, calves etc. If your quads are significantly stronger (> 25%) than your hamstrings it can cause knee pain as it pulls your knee slightly out of alignment.

So try stretching calves and hamstrings as well as strengthening them. If you cycle often, you probably already have fairly strong quads.

Advertisement