Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCU or UCD (Smurfit) Masters in Accounting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 reverseswing

Really??
    That seems terribly unfair.

But I doubt a big four firm can ignore a 1:1 from Maynooth compared to a 2:2, for example, from DCU? Then again, my friends brother got a 2:2 from DCU and was recruited by KPMG!

And, in your brothers case, is he a recent graduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Really??
    That seems terribly unfair.

But I doubt a big four firm can ignore a 1:1 from Maynooth compared to a 2:2, for example, from DCU? Then again, my friends brother got a 2:2 from DCU and was recruited by KPMG!

And, in your brothers case, is he a recent graduate?

my brother graduated in 2005 i think. In my year most people had gone to UCD, trinity, DCU or UL, but things may have changed. Normally they dont have to pick between a 1st in maynooth and a 2.2 in DCU, most people they take on have 1sts or high 2.1s from the aforementioned universities.

but if your cv is good and you are called for interview then you have as good a chance as anyone :)

Okay cool thanks for your help,

Finally, lets say I did a Masters in NUIM or DCU, without any sponsorship?
    Surely the Big Four cant ignore a Masters in Accounting, regardless if its from NUIM, DCU, UCD etc?

Sorry I'm not saying your degree from maynooth will preclude you it will just be a little harder, work on making your cv stand out :)

If you don't get offered a place and the associated sponsorship I'd be more inclined to the dcu masters than nuim if you are doing it to ensure you get a big four contract the following year

Yeh grand, let's see what happens anyway!
    Any idea what type of contracts the big four hand out to people they have sponsored after completion of a Masters degree?

• Advertisement

i can only give you an idea what it was like in 2003 :eek: when i joined kpmg from the macc in smurfit, you got a 3 year contract starting on 24k or so and going to the mid 40s in your last year, i think it was 52k then once you were out of contract,

altho the trend seems to be downward on the salaries now unfortunately

And any idea of how long one begins their training for the Final Admitting Exam after a completion of a Masters degree?

yep, you have no exams the first year of your contract, start lectures the second year and do the faes that summer and then no exams for the final year either

And to most big four firms keep trainees on after their initial 3 year contract?

they used to (if you wanted) but now i think they keep about 15% and let the rest go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

Cyrus wrote: »
    i can only give you an idea what it was like in 2003 :eek: when i joined kpmg from the macc in smurfit, you got a 3 year contract starting on 24k or so and going to the mid 40s in your last year, i think it was 52k then once you were out of contract,

altho the trend seems to be downward on the salaries now unfortunately

Christ thats serious money.

Or rather that was serious money. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Just after completing my degree in DKIT and received a high 2.1 hons degree and i see other peoples point in relation to getting even an interview for a Big 4 company. SO I'm thinking strongly about doing my Masters in DCU now as I think this will benefit me in the long run , even though both masters programs( DCU DKIT) offer the same exemptions.

Little Pea wrote: »
    Just after completing my degree in DKIT and received a high 2.1 hons degree and i see other peoples point in relation to getting even an interview for a Big 4 company. SO I'm thinking strongly about doing my Masters in DCU now as I think this will benefit me in the long run , even though both masters programs( DCU DKIT) offer the same exemptions.

i would think that you have a greater chance of getting into a big 4 with a DCU masters for sure.

im not sure what its like now but in my time there were very few graduates from the ITs

i would think that you have a greater chance of getting into a big 4 with a DCU masters for sure.

im not sure what its like now but in my time there were very few graduates from the ITs

You mean from your time in DCU or the BIG 4 ??

You mean from your time in DCU or the BIG 4 ??

sorry Big 4

I take it no matter where you do the masters , there is no such thing as an easier option , the work load and subjects etc would have to be very similar.

Just submitted my application to DCU , so now at least ill have options to consider :-)

id have thought not, just pick the place that suits you best travel wise :)

id have thought not, just pick the place that suits you best travel wise :)

Ha , Well the problem with that is that DkIT is 5 minutes from my house and DCU is about 1hr + , The only reason I would pick DCU above DkIT is the prestige of going to a University over an IT and how it looks to a potential employer .

Basically I have a better chance of getting a Big 4 contract with DCU on my application rather than DkIT.

Ha , Well the problem with that is that DkIT is 5 minutes from my house and DCU is about 1hr + , The only reason I would pick DCU above DkIT is the prestige of going to a University over an IT and how it looks to a potential employer .

Basically I have a better chance of getting a Big 4 contract with DCU on my application rather than DkIT.

agreed, i meant between chosing smurfit and DCU

you should have a go at applying for the milk round if you get an interview and accepted they will pay for your masters (or they used to)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Personally I'd go with the university I just graduated for an I.T. with a first class and found it very difficult to pick up a contract which I eventually did last week!
    If big 4 is the road you want to go down the DCU is the way to go.

• Advertisement

Yeah , well its something to think about for me , the only downside really is that the class size will be huge compared to my IT , the I.T masters program is for maximum of 20 students were the DCU one is 150+ in the class. So will this affect me , this is what i really need to think about also.

Just been offered a place by DIT also , what are peoples views on this course ??
    How do potential big 4 employers look at it ??

id be inclined to stick with one of the universities to be honest, eps as your primary degree is from an IT

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thefa

Yeah , well its something to think about for me , the only downside really is that the class size will be huge compared to my IT , the I.T masters program is for maximum of 20 students were the DCU one is 150+ in the class. So will this affect me , this is what i really need to think about also.
    Don't know where you got that last figure. Know people in it this year and was under the impression it was split into two classes of 30. Done the Accounting undergrad there and it started out at around 150.

what would your concern be with the large class sizes?

i only ask because for my degree and masters class sizes were over 150, never saw it as an issue tho

Thinking about it , I don't think I would have an issue about the class size , would just be unusual for me coming for a class size of 60 into 150 that is all. Just applied for all my Cap1 exemptions , and I've been discussing my options with a few people and Think I'm going to decide on DIT.

Thinking about it , I don't think I would have an issue about the class size , would just be unusual for me coming for a class size of 60 into 150 that is all. Just applied for all my Cap1 exemptions , and I've been discussing my options with a few people and Think I'm going to decide on DIT.

do you mind me asking on what basis?

it will make it harder to get into a big 4, not impossible tho :)

do you mind me asking on what basis?

it will make it harder to get into a big 4, not impossible tho :)

Couple of friends that I have been speaking to have assured me that their is no lack of DIT graduates in the big 4 company's that they work in, A few reasons was that I liked how quickly my questions have been answered by the head of that department and course co-ordinator(believe me I had a few) , I looked at the time table and I just generally like the feel of going there.

Couple of friends that I have been speaking to have assured me that their is no lack of DIT graduates in the big 4 company's that they work in,

fair enough, best of luck with everything and i hope it all goes well for you :)

i would reiterate tho, if there is no cost implication and the travel to both is the same, id go with DCU personally.

• Advertisement

fair enough, best of luck with everything and i hope it all goes well for you :)

i would reiterate tho, if there is no cost implication and the travel to both is the same, id go with DCU personally.

Ha , you have put such a doubt in my head now :-) and the day im just after paying my deposit for my place also :o

Advertisement