Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone bought a Debs dress online?

• 24-02-2007 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I have seen a few gorgeus debs or "Prom" dresses online, mostly American sites and I'm wondering if anyone has actually ordered one and had major success, dissappointment, whatever. Im worried mainly about the sizing Im usually a uk 6-8 and I know that works out at a U.S 4 but I would be afraid of getting the dress and having it not fit coz the shipping is fairly pricey. Any thoughts?

PS. Another thought, anyone have their debs dress made for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yep, I did! I bought a beautiful navy Chinese dress off the site www.orienttouch.com (Didn't want a conventional debs dress). It was far too big, but I got it altered to fit me perfectly. Get this, the dress was €21, shipping was €6.99 and VAT and duty made it..€33!! And it shipped from China in 10 days.

My friend wasn't so lucky. When she ordered her dress, it was €80, her shipping (from LA) was €50, so that made her duty tax and VAT go way up...it ended up costing €270. Still cheaper than your average €400 dress here though.

I'll be getting mine from the internet for this year's debs too. Try find a site in the UK, if you can. The American ones can be very costly. Always find out what the shipping is, and if it's dear enough, the duty and VAT will double it...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Thanks corruptedmorals, heres a good one Uk wise

www.sexyher.co.uk

On another note, you say your friend ordered from America, just wondering how the sizing worked out, like was the two size down conversion accurate ie. uk 8 = us 4? That would be my biggest worry after paying the astronomical shipping...

Mine was from America too..but the dress was made and shipped from China. It differs, generally, it's one size lower than ours, BUT all of the reputable websites will have a measurement chart. I think my dress was XS..it arrived looking like a size 14..

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

So really you'd be safer ordering a size the same as or bigger than your own and having it taken in?

Get the one closest to your measurements as possible. If it arrives messed up, then you can alter it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

A really good irish site is www.dresscode.ie their dresses are really well made, and its irish owned! What could be better? Not sure if you can buy online though but you can email and they can let you know where they stock.. I know they used to be in Roches Stores but thats closed down now isnt it? Im sure they stock somewhere else or you could buy direct from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nownow**

hey i have my debs in august and i am living in limerick but am havin a hard time findin really nice dresses.. i am taking a trip up to dublin and then maybe cork and i havent a clue where to go!! if some one could please give me names or dress shops and where they ar that wud b a great help!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zarababe

Mackleton wrote:
    Thanks corruptedmorals, heres a good one Uk wise

www.sexyher.co.uk

On another note, you say your friend ordered from America, just wondering how the sizing worked out, like was the two size down conversion accurate ie. uk 8 = us 4? That would be my biggest worry after paying the astronomical shipping...

Hi Mackleton,

thank you so much for the recommendations!!! I bought a dresse few days ago from the shop you recommended --- www.sexyher.co.uk for my school prom and it is a light blue dress with beads called ED6026, you can see it in the home page, you wont believe how fabulous it is! Also, i ordered it first day and get it next day! Highly recommended!!!XXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

nownow** wrote:
    hey i have my debs in august and i am living in limerick but am havin a hard time findin really nice dresses.. i am taking a trip up to dublin and then maybe cork and i havent a clue where to go!! if some one could please give me names or dress shops and where they ar that wud b a great help!!!:D

Hiya,
    You could try a few places up in Dublin. Debhenams do some nice dresses, that's in the Jervis Shopping Centre (main entrance on Mary Street.) Also, a place called Wicked Frills on Dorset Street is really good for unique dresses and finally DressCode which is in Finglas Business Centre on the Jamestown Road (you can get the 19 or the 19a on O'Connell Street, the Dr Quirkys side, straight to the Jamestown Road.). There's some other nice little places around too, you just have to look. I think there's a shop above a travel centre on Talbot Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emma_c92

hey i am looking for a gold pleated plaine debs dress (long) and i cant find it anywere..has anyone any ideas were i could get it.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Mackleton wrote: »
    PS. Another thought, anyone have their debs dress made for them?

I had mine made. Was only €150 including a matching tie and was absolutely perfect for me. I knew what dress I had wanted since forth year so there was no other option but get it made!

EDIT: And I have just realised how old this thread is! Oops...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ A brazilian wax in a debs package..? lol.

Advertisement