Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20p coin (1985) worth anything??

• 13-10-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I have a 1985 20p coin that is in great condition. How long will I have to wait until its worth anything decent??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

jgally wrote: »
    I have a 1985 20p coin that is in great condition. How long will I have to wait until its worth anything decent??

I'm no expert but i'd imagine a hundred years or so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

about 22c right now although you'd have to pay to convert it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

a century or two should see it become worth a bit , keep it safe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

growler wrote: »
    a century or two should see it become worth a bit , keep it safe!!
    What about a 1999 IR£10 note? It's not mint condition, but not ripped or anything. I found it in an old coat a few years back and never bothered to convert it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

cregser wrote: »
    What about a 1999 IR£10 note? It's not mint condition, but not ripped or anything. I found it in an old coat a few years back and never bothered to convert it.

As far as I know the Central Bank in Dame Street will still exchange old bank notes at the Euro rate but otherwise it is virtually worthless. You could try eBay but it would need to be in mint condition and even then you probably wouldn't get much for it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I have a 1908 coin badly worn I don't think that it would be worth much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

http://www.irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM

The 1985 20 pence is in fact an extreme rarity. In 1985 prior to the introduction of the new twenty pence piece in 1986 a quantity of coins dated 1985 were struck for testing. Some of these coins escaped being melted down and are in private hands. I have heard of only a very small number of exchanges of these coin and the prices I have heard for them have varied widely. I believe that the minimum number identified in collections (as opposed to sitting gathering dust somewhere without its value being understood but its owner) is four. I suspect thate the number is somewhat higher than this but certainly the coin is extremely rare and because the original production run was apparently very small with only perhaps 50 coins being released for vending machine testing etc. it is unlikely to turn up in significant quantitiies which is always the 'danger' with assigning high prices to modern rarities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GUNMONEY

Can you post a picture?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yeh post a picture of both sides please, I'd be interested too, please don't sell it without talking to me first. If it is indeed a 1985 ;)

Degsy, Jaycen and Grolwer: Please don't give advice about things you don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

if it has a smoothedge/not milled
    consider yourself about €10,000 richer
    if not it's back to work for you on monday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

the GALL wrote: »
    if it has a smoothedge/not milled
    consider yourself about €10,000 richer
    if not it's back to work for you on monday

Smooth edge or not the 1985 20p is ext. rare and still worth in that region. To be honest I suspect the OP is bull$hitting about having one. I've seen some chancers offering 50 Euro for them in adverts like buy and sell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I thought all 1985 20p were smooth and used by telecom engineers to test the phone box's. They were initially issued with a smooth edge as a token to test the weight of the coin to calibrate the phone box and were to be handed back after the testing was complete. Hey OP send us on a photo of the edge I'd love to get a look at it(ya jammy B**stard, ya:)).

No OP's feeling were hurt in the makeing of this thread(I hope's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jd10

just wondering would anyone know if an irish pound coin with part milled edge is worth anything? i know a pound coin with a full milled edge is worth about 20 euro but would my coin be worth more or less???

i have also come across a lead pound coin - anyone ever heard about these? obviously counterfeit but its just something interesting to keep in my collection.

jd10 wrote: »
    just wondering would anyone know if an irish pound coin with part milled edge is worth anything? i know a pound coin with a full milled edge is worth about 20 euro but would my coin be worth more or less???

i have also come across a lead pound coin - anyone ever heard about these? obviously counterfeit but its just something interesting to keep in my collection.

20 euro is a fair evaluation for a fully milled edge pound coin. The partly milled ones would not be worth as much, I'd say between 5 and 10 euro tops. I've come across a lot more partly milled ones plus they don't have the same numismatic appeal or interest.

Lead pound coins were a common counterfeit alright, basically cast and intented to deceive at the time. But it's also possible to create them today, so for that reason they don't have a high value, I picked one up for a fiver. All these coins have an important numismatic history so you should keep them in your collection.

You probably know already but the milled pounds didn't go through the second phase which was to add the security engrailing. The milling is done together with the face strikes, all in one strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jd10

i definitely wouldnt be gettin rid of them for the sake of a few quid. times aren't that hard....... yet!!!

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PiperB

just read your posting regarding the 1985 20p coint, If this is in mint condition it is actually worth between €5000 and €10000 there were only 300 20p coins issued in 1985 for the sole purpose of calibrating coin boxes and cigarette machines before the coins were issued in 1986. All the coins were returned to the mint except for 35 which are still out there somewhere, if you have one, good for you. The Derec Mooney show on Radio 1 did an article on this last year. Best of luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

1969 10p
    1968 penny
    1963 penny
    1989 Isle of Man 50p with a christmas scene on the front
    1988 millenium 50p
    1970 50p
    1984 pound note(not great condition)
    1952 5 pound note

and one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

dermo88 wrote: »
    http://www.irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM

The 1985 20 pence is in fact an extreme rarity. .

If this is true then it could actually be worth something, but not for a while. My dad has been looking for a particular coin from 1932 I think its a penny, only a couple hundred of them made, anytime I go to a car boot sale etc.. I'm always elbows thick in dirty old coins looking for one. Have never found one though!!

The 1985 20 pence reached €7,400 in an auction a few weeks ago, didn't sell at that price.

Sorry no early retirement.;)

gversey wrote: »
    1969 10p
    1968 penny 50ct
    1963 penny 50ct
    1989 Isle of Man 50p with a christmas scene on the front €2.50
    1988 millenium 50p €1
    1970 50p 60ct
    1984 pound note(not great condition) €3
    1952 5 pound note Depends on condition

and one of these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Ah well,better stash them for another few years..

5 pound note is in great nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I miss the old coins...I could count them

Ah well,better stash them for another few years..

Hehe, bury them in a time capsule, they might be worth something in a couple of thousand years.
    5 pound note is in great nick.

Then that could be worth something, depends on the exact condition though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Hi,

I was going to start a post about this and saw the 20p ne so just siad I'd add it on.

My mum collects coins and because of that as kids we always kept coins that we came across that were different.

I have a 1990 Irish Pound coin - when is the only one I have ever seen - it must have been from an initial lot that was recalled i would think as the sides of it are exactly like and old 10p. Totally different from the side of the one that was in circulation for years.
    Does anyone know if this is unique or worth anything?

Thanks.

depaor wrote: »
    I have a 1990 Irish Pound coin - when is the only one I have ever seen - it must have been from an initial lot that was recalled i would think as the sides of it are exactly like and old 10p. Totally different from the side of the one that was in circulation for years.
    Does anyone know if this is unique or worth anything?

These are known as "milled edge" pound coins. It's worth about 20 Euro.

I found some at the time back in 1990 and there was an article in the news paper about them, foolishly I never kept the article even though I was advised to. The 2 faces of the coin and the edge milling are struck all at the same time, in one go. Later in phase 2 the security engrailling was added. basically these "milled edge" ones didn't go through phase 2 and escaped into circulation. This wasn't unique to the very first year of 1990, it happened in later years too. You may also notice 2 little marks on opposite ends on the edge where the coin was held in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

i have just found a 1737 george II irish farthing. its black from being in the ground for a couple of centuries. any idea how to clean it up.? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

suey71 wrote: »
    i have just found a 1737 george II irish farthing. its black from being in the ground for a couple of centuries. any idea how to clean it up.? thanks

if you want to sell it dont clean it......
    it reduces the value by hundreds in some cases....(not saying yours is worth hundreds but...)

Blade wrote: »
    These are known as "milled edge" pound coins. It's worth about 20 Euro.

I found some at the time back in 1990 and there was an article in the news paper about them, foolishly I never kept the article even though I was advised to. The 2 faces of the coin and the edge milling are struck all at the same time, in one go. Later in phase 2 the security engrailling was added. basically these "milled edge" ones didn't go through phase 2 and escaped into circulation. This wasn't unique to the very first year of 1990, it happened in later years too. You may also notice 2 little marks on opposite ends on the edge where the coin was held in place.

Hi could you explain milled edge please?
    the pound coins I have have like a serious of dots all artound coin, except for top and bottom of coin.
    would this be a milled edge?

Jake1 wrote: »
    Hi could you explain milled edge please?
    the pound coins I have have like a serious of dots all artound coin, except for top and bottom of coin.
    would this be a milled edge?

No, that's the normal ones. The milled edge ones are all like this around the edge ||||||||||||

• Advertisement

Blade wrote: »
    No, that's the normal ones. The milled edge ones are all like this around the edge ||||||||||||

ok thanks,
    but I also wondered is it around face of coin or edge?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement