Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wife's breast cancer ordeal.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

You do not know yet what the thing on the liver is. 18 months after my total oesophagectomy they found something there but it was nothing. The waiting is terrible I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

She got a call today and we are off to the Oncologist tomorrow. They said she will probably be waiting a while for the MRI so nothing we can do about that right now.

Sorry if I came across a bit aggressive on the other post but was just a bit worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Sorry was away any chance of an update on herself

She is doing great at the moment. We were in with the Oncologist on Wednesday last. She will be starting Chemo on the 6th, 4 cycles of AC Chemotherapy then 12 cycles of some other Chemo the name I cant think of at the moment. That will bring her up to 6 months. Then radiation therapy and then hormone treatment for 5 years after that.

I have to admit the Oncologist was mad and had us in stitches. We were really relaxed with him.

We are going private for the MRI because Baeumont cant even give us a date for it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

JohnnieK wrote: »
    She is doing great at the moment. We were in with the Oncologist on Wednesday last. She will be starting Chemo on the 6th, 4 cycles of AC Chemotherapy then 12 cycles of some other Chemo the name I cant think of at the moment. That will bring her up to 6 months. Then radiation therapy and then hormone treatment for 5 years after that.

I have to admit the Oncologist was mad and had us in stitches. We were really relaxed with him.

We are going private for the MRI because Baeumont cant even give us a date for it at the moment.

Continued best wishes to you both,Johnnie- it's good to hear that she's keeping well. It's been a rollercoaster ride for the 2 of ye,
    life is strange what it throws at a young mother-she'd lucky to have your support.
    Remember to look after yourself too!!

Where?

Where?

Going to the Hermitage in Lucan hopefully next week.

John
    As I said there will be up,s and down,s all you can do is try and relax take it 1 day @ a time and as time goes on it will get easier

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's great news Johnnie, continued best wishes to you both.

• Advertisement

Oh I forgot to mention. We were accepted for the medical card to on Friday so that will lift some of the burden:). Forms were faxed from the hospital by the social worker on Friday morning and we were accepted after lunch. She said it was the fastest case she has ever had accepted. My Dad must be looking down on her, God rest him.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭purrrfect1

Oh I forgot to mention. We were accepted for the medical card to on Friday so that will lift some of the burden:). Forms were faxed from the hospital by the social worker on Friday morning and we were accepted after lunch. She said it was the fastest case she has ever had accepted. My Dad must be looking down on her, God rest him.
    Things seem to be going Ok for ye and will continue to do so. There are so many things happening at the one time its difficult to keep track of them all, but you are very strong - both of you are- which is just as well, as its just what is needed to keep up..and yes, those up above certainly do look down on us and seem to ease things through for us. God rest them all.
    Good luck to your wife for the treatment - keep us all posted.

Just a quick one.

My wife is starting Chemo on Monday. I'm feeling a bit afraid about the whole thing for the main reason I dont know what to expect, and how I will react to it all. I'm strong for her but deep down I'm feeling this. I suppose I just want to know if this is normal.
    It was explained well to us but If you have not experienced anything like this it'd hard to imagine.

I hope I'm not being a pain posting all this.

^^^Don't expect it to be what you've seen on TV or what I'm assuming you have in the back of your mind as to what it's going to be like. It won't be that bad.

Hopefully she'll be lucky and will have little to no sickness from it, not everyone gets the Nausea and their's good drugs to lessen it now if she does get it.

She'll be quiet alot and looking off in to space alot, their will be out of the blue breakdowns and as it goes on she'll get abit more tired and lose some of her strength.

Expect to not get your questions answered and expect bluntness when you do get an answer.

The nurse has gone through "the sheets" on what to expect depending on the type of Chemo, the biggest early one of these in my experience shows up about 2ish weeks in, the Hair, if she has long hair then try and get her to cut it tighter before then so as not to wake up one morning to alot of hair loss on the pillow. It's tough to see it on the pillow but not to bad when you cut it by choice.

It may not be an option and may not be relevant but if it's doable then don't leave her on her own unless she asks to be left alone. People will go out of their way to help if you ask, so do. If someone around her is a "cryer" (and their's always one) politely tell them to F-OFF and do it somewhere else. Sick people--->F-OFF, her immune system will be weakened so don't risk her getting a bug out of politness.

You mentioned that it's 5 months of chemo, not everyone can/will finish the course, the more she can take the better but don't let her play the strong card on Chemo days when she's really not, near the end of the course talk to/tell the nurses if she doesn't feel up to it on a particular day or she could end up in Hospital for the 2 weeks after.

The 5 months will fly and I'm not just saying that. It's a month and a halfish since you started this Thread. The long evenings are coming aswell which will be a help.

You won't be able to be a Rock all the way through and that's alright.

Stock up on the Bovril, if she doesn't like it now she'll probably get a taste for it.:)

200px-Bovril_250g.jpg

Not every chemo is the same and not everyone gets the same side effects. For me I was hugely worried about my fertility as I was 32 and was getting married shortly afterwards so I asked about ways of saving my fertility (I have an 8 month old and an almost 22 month old so what they did worked!)

Find out if she will have hair loss, I thought that I would not mind but when it fell out I was very upset and was glad that my brother and then fiance (sp) had got me to get a wig. My then fiance(sp) was hiding the hair loss from my pillow but one day it fell out in huge clumps. Remember the hair loss is a sign that the chemo is doing something and if your wife feels bad then just think of what it is doing to to it.

I was in hospital for one week in 4 and had chemo 4 days and one day to recover. I was very ill with mine but 2 weeks after my first chemo I was able to eat strawberries again (I had been not been able to swallow anything (am an oesophageal cancer survivor).

My brother bought me a portable dvd player and I watched most of Star Trek Voyager on it.

The week before the next chemo was the best for me and I did nice things that week. I was lucky that I had my wedding to look forward to but have something nice to look forward to at the end.

For me I was not allowed to travel until 6 weeks after the chemo was over and for me that was a pre-surgery holiday (I still do not consider that I got a honeymoon from my husband - we have 2 babies now so travelling is out for the short to medium term!)

Best wishes to you and your wife. If it is any consolation I do not remember most of it but my husband does.

Chemo started today. First cycle of A/C chemotherapy. We were only 1hr and a half in the hospital so not too bad (she got bloods done on Friday) About 7:30 this evening she lay down on the couch and fell asleep. I was just about able to wake her at 9 to get her to bed.
    God love her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi Johnnie - sorry I missed this thread, I've been thinking about ye over Christmas! Seems like everything is as well as can be expected. Thanks for the updates and continued strength and good luck to the both of you.

Chemo started today. First cycle of A/C chemotherapy. We were only 1hr and a half in the hospital so not too bad (she got bloods done on Friday) About 7:30 this evening she lay down on the couch and fell asleep. I was just about able to wake her at 9 to get her to bed.
    God love her.

It was the same with my wife I bet if I had hit her with a hammer she would have stayed asleep but I found as time went on the need for sleep after Chemo got less I hope it will be the same for your wife.

AC chemotherapy
    Risk of developing a blood clot

Cancer can increase the risk of developing a blood clot (thrombosis), and chemotherapy may increase this risk further.
    A blood clot may cause symptoms such as pain, redness and swelling in a leg, or breathlessness and chest pain. Blood clots can be very serious so it’s important to tell your doctor straight away if you notice any of these symptoms. Most clots can be treated with drugs that thin the blood. The doctor or nurse can give you more information.
    Ask your Docs how common Clots are in your circumstances and if it would be suitable to go on a thinner now as a preventative. Complication best avoided if possible.

A good source of Fibre is....

prd_75371883flaxseed.jpg

cheaper in Dunnes and Healthshops unless it went up lately. Helps to keep things moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Glad to hear things are going to plan,Johnnie.

My friend started her chemo last week- she's is a fantastic person.
    Not one word of a moan since her diagnosis and mastectomy.

My daughters are in awe of her- they can't get over how so many people moan and groan about a sniffle or flu,yet she's holding her head up high and so upbeat about cancer!!!

The chemo can be so much worse than the disease- so as I keep saying--look after both of you Johnnie !

• Advertisement

This was the first bad day. She was extremely tired and it's not helping that our little man has a chest and ear infection.

She was in bed for a lot of it (just couldn't get out of it). I tried to take the rains with every thing but I too am knackered because I only got about 5 hours sleep every night this week since Sunday because of the little fella. My brother offered to come over but I told him everything was fine, looking back I should have accepted the offer.

She is going to survive this, Isn't she???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Johnnie, you're going to get through this together. It's a tough road and there will be many times like this, but you'll cope.
    A word of advice though - don't turn down offers of help with housework, babysitting etc. This is no time for false pride or martyrdom because it's important to look after yourself too, so you can be there for your wife and son. Nobody can do it all and you will need breaks to catch up on sleep or just have a little time to relax.

Johnnie, you're going to get through this together. It's a tough road and there will be many times like this, but you'll cope.
    A word of advice though - don't turn down offers of help with housework, babysitting etc. This is no time for false pride or martyrdom because it's important to look after yourself too, so you can be there for your wife and son. Nobody can do it all and you will need breaks to catch up on sleep or just have a little time to relax.

+1 Take all the help you can get even ask for it .
    The more help you get =more rest for everyone this sounds like a low time you are going through it will get better.

Having a horrible time at the moment. Little fella was sick since Thursday last, fine by Monday. The wife got it and we have been in and out of Beaumont since Sunday, Sis-in law took the kids yesterday to give us a break and now our little one has a hight temp now so the wife has to ship out for a couple of day's to try and let every one get healthy. I've had to cancel a good bit of work to so I can be hear with the kids.

I'm going to get a big mug of tea and watch a movie.

You will get times like this - remember that this will pass. As I have said before I did not remember most of the chemo. Do plan something for her good days.

After a bad week with high temps, in and out of the hospital and all that things seem to be settling down again.

The next hurdle is the MRI on Tuesday. If you can remember the CAT scan before Christmas came back largely clear apart from a shadow on the liver which they seem confident that it's a cyst or fatty tissue. The MRI is just a follow up.

The fear has once again set in with me regarding this MRI all the what if's are springing into mind.

I was so busy all week trying to keep everyone healthy that I never had time to think about it, but now things have relaxed a bit the thoughts are creeping in.

Worst case if it has got there does that mean the end of the road for her:confused:

In my case when I had a shaddow on my liver 18 months post surgery it was sarcoidosis - I know that it is a worry but there is nothing that you can do about it until you know.

Fingers crossed for the MRI tomorrow!! And the results of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Fingers and legs crossed johnny! Best of luck

• Advertisement

Best of luck Johnnie, hope it goes well.

Advertisement