Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Galway" Rag Week

• 29-01-2012 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Has anyone seen the Facebook event for the official Galway rag week?
    I know it specifies that it's Galway and not NUIG or GMIT or whatever!
    What do people think? Will you be taking part etc?

http://www.facebook.com/events/312149282155078/

That's the link anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, it's hardly surprising...

What difference does the fact that NUIG is no longer supporting RAG week make when someone is arrested? Does it mean that they can't drag out the "Aragh, judge, sure he's only a poor student who was having a bit of craic and had a bit too much to drink" excuse? Or is NUIG going to expel them, or what was their grand plan when they signed yon deal last semester?

Ha - I see the thirty-odd posts following on from George's criticism have been removed. A shame, really - they seemed so enlightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

Boy... that escalated quickly... I mean that really got out of hand fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBsSttJsZOc

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

lulz ensues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Charity weeks being hijacked by private business.:(

I wonder which nightclub is behind the facebook pages/ events.

Probably CPs.

• Advertisement

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Charity weeks being hijacked by private business.:(

Just about everyting else here is, why not charity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

bildo wrote: »
    6mJHR.gif

You're an SU exec aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Completely inevitable this would happen. I just hope it isn't true that the university would revoke promises made because people went ahead and orgnaized a rag week without SU support.

You're an SU Exec aren't you?

Yeah, and?

• Advertisement

Yeah, and?

Seems to be quite a casual attitude to Rag week for a man involved in protecting students from exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Well from the looks of the facebook page I would imagine its an events company, as there big thing is a mystery tour. Which does bring 500 or so people away from the city for the night.

Pretty good idea remove at least some of the people from the public's eyes. Also means town will be busy but not completely packed so a nice healthy boast to struggling pubs, chippers, and clubs. If the college are smart they'll enforce a no alcohol policy on campus. That way all the blame lies with said company organizing the week.

empacher wrote: »
    Well from the looks of the facebook page I would imagine its an events company, as there big thing is a mystery tour. Which does bring 500 or so people away from the city for the night.

Pretty good idea remove at least some of the people from the public's eyes. Also means town will be busy but not completely packed so a nice healthy boast to struggling pubs, chippers, and clubs. If the college are smart they'll enforce a no alcohol policy on campus. That way all the blame lies with said company organizing the week.

Where could these ten busloads of people be brought to? I realise that's part of the "mystery" but..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Any outlying town in galway normally has a nightclub for up to 1000 people, generally only open at the weekends, I'd say they'd be quiet happy for the business

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

1,000 drunken **** taken from Galway and deposited somewhere in the surrounding wastes?

Sounds good to me, how much do I have to pay for them to dispose of some people I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, it's hardly surprising...

What difference does the fact that NUIG is no longer supporting RAG week make when someone is arrested? Does it mean that they can't drag out the "Aragh, judge, sure he's only a poor student who was having a bit of craic and had a bit too much to drink" excuse? Or is NUIG going to expel them, or what was their grand plan when they signed yon deal last semester?

Well if one of their students got too drunk on paddys day this year and got arrested, would you expect them to be expelled? Seeing as the uni have nothing to do with any rag week, why should they have the power to expel students for events that happen outside of college

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Well if one of their students got too drunk on paddys day this year and got arrested, would you expect them to be expelled? Seeing as the uni have nothing to do with any rag week, why should they have the power to expel students for events that happen outside of college

http://www.nuigalway.ie/codeofconduct/

Seems to be quite a casual attitude to Rag week for a man involved in protecting students from exploitation.

What? The SU banned the SU from organising a RAG week, no one else.
    If other people want to organise or go to an alternative RAG week, why should I care in the slightest? I've no intention of stopping people from doing as they please. Wanna go mad and make a show of yourself go ahead and be my guest. I'm just glad the SU has nothing to do with it anymore. Allows us to focus on matters that actuallt matter like fighting fees and providing student servives etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Looks even worse than the crap the SU used to organise.

For me, RAG Week has always been about having a laugh with your mates. The best thing was never the bollocks events in the College Bar or CPs, it was the fact loads of people you knew just forgot college work for the week and we'd spend the day drinking in the house, house parties etc. It was usually the point after which we'd knuckle down for exams and stuff. Call me miserable but I've never seen the fun in vandalising the place or screaming abuse at passers by and I'd rather there was none of that. Similarly, I'd rather there was no condescending self righteous preaching about how I'm complete scum for enjoying myself. Nob off.
    empacher wrote: »
    If the college are smart they'll enforce a no alcohol policy on campus. That way all the blame lies with said company organizing the week.
    Pretty sure you're not allowed to saunter around the Cairnes with a bottle of tonic wine anyway.

And no it doesn't, the events company aren't telling people to act like tossers. The blame lies with anyone who acts like tossers.
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Seeing as the uni have nothing to do with any rag week, why should they have the power to expel students for events that happen outside of college
    Same way your company might fire you if you robbed someone unless you work for a bank and/or the government

^^^
    Probably the first time I have ever agreed with anything you have ever posted here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

^^^
    Probably the first time I have ever agreed with anything you have ever posted here. :)
    What can I say, I pander to the masses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Ficheall wrote: »
    Where could these ten busloads of people be brought to? I realise that's part of the "mystery" but..

Will there be busloads of clowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

scholar007 wrote: »
    Will there be busloads of clowns?

Why would there be?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

i myself cant wait to attend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Why would there be?:confused:

If memory serves I think the President gave an interview last year or the year before where he said busloads of clowns were being transported into Galway for rag week and were wrecking the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

can't wait to get out of my tree for this week long bender. going to be smashing up everything in sight and abusing and assaulting everyone in sight. main target will be the newcastle area.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

On a more serious note

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24220-nui-galway-rag-week-may-go-despite-deal-scrap-it
    Facebook campaign boasts the backing of 2,000 students to continue with event
    By Katie Finnegan

A FACEBOOK campaign looks set to ensure NUI Galway RAG week goes ahead despite having no approval from College Authorities or the Students Union.

Last October college authorities came to an understanding with the Student’s Union to do away with College week, formerly known as RAG week.

This move had been on the cards after a minority of students generated negative publicity with over 30 arrests made during the course of the week last year.

A Facebook page entitled: ‘Rag Week 2012’, currently boasts nearly 2000 members and states: “We don’t need the college to approve us having a rag week, so let’s just do it anyway, drinking all day everyday, lots of parties and out every night!”

It was decided last October by a 95 per cent vote to accept concessions from the college in return for abandoning the festival. The concessions include an almost-trebling of the university’s contribution to the student assistance fund from €33,000 to €93,000, and a guarantee the campus health unit will not introduce charges.

The NUI Galway Code of Conduct was amended to ensure sites such as Facebook would not be used to promote or organise a similar event. This was done with the SU’s consent to include the following as a specific example of a breach of the Code:

“Use of social media to organise, support or contribute to social events associated with the concept of "College Week/Rag Week"

Sanctions for breaking this part of the code include fines, reprimands, suspension, disbarment from exams, and in the worst case, expulsion from the University.

Speaking on Tuesday about the cancellation of the week, Student Union President Emmet Conolly explained: “I think the majority of students recognised that Rag Week had to go, and are quite relieved that the reputation of their University and their degrees are no longer going to be dragged through the mud each March.”

Read more in today’s Galway City Tribune

interesting how the colleges code of conduct was amended to prevent facebook promotions of rag week. I find it hard to understand why the SU accepted this. surely they knew that people would still set up events on Facebook etc. Be interesting to see how the university reacts to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

It should Not continue - it's a drink fuelled binge. A Facebook campaign does nothing anyway because it's insignificant. NUIG Students need to realize that Rag Week is gone for the better. I'm not saying it's time to stop socializing but Galway has a huge problem with students not able to control themselves. I see it every night and it's time it stopped. There were repeated campaigns to drink responsibility but these haven't worked.

I support the discontinuation of Rag Week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Nal wrote: »
    interesting how the colleges code of conduct was amended to prevent facebook promotions of rag week. I find it hard to understand why the SU accepted this. surely they knew that people would still set up events on Facebook etc. Be interesting to see how the university reacts to this one.

The SU shouldn't have agreed to that. Practically impossible to enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

The SU shouldn't have agreed to that. Practically impossible to enforce.

It's up to the Disciplinary Committee to deal with breaches. The SU didn't lose anything by agreeing to it, but gained a lot from the rest. Its only a drinking week now, it lost its meaning as a charity fund-raising event as the pathetic amounts of money raised in recent years have shown.

Advertisement