Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House for sale @€265,000. What should we offer?

• 20-05-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all, my husband and I are looking to buy a house, which over the last 2 years has fallen from €375,000 to €265,000. We're hoping to be in a position to make an offer this October. With today's property market the way it is what would you think is a reasonable offer for a house at this price? It's a 5 bedroom house and never been lived in.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Offer 190.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what are other directly comparable properties in the immediate area asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lorrainbo

The house is in Donegal and the asking prices for comparable properties vary. The house is in a private development consisting of only 4 houses. The house we hope to buy is the show house. Only one other has been sold in this development. The other 2 are a builders finish and they are asking a price 'in the region of €260,000' for both houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

see if you can find out how much it would cost to build a new house.....find out how much you could get a similar plot of land for....add them together......that's how much it is worth....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's an estate with empty houses in Donegal. Give a lowball offer of 150k or so, the worst they can do is say no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

see if you can find out how much it would cost to build a new house.....find out how much you could get a similar plot of land for....add them together......that's how much it is worth....
    Not necessarily, some houses are selling for below build cost now. Some pockets are going for >20% above asking. It's a very strange Market out there!

In this case either a bank or developer is selling, so it's possible you might get a very good deal. I'd go in with a very low offer. €150k.

I'm liking your thinking StillWaters;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Compare rentals ie: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1206805

If you can rent for €750 a month, then why would you pay some €950 a month mortgage. get your mortage down to the €600 month figure and your might be approaching what you should be paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

from the details given, I'd say the maximum you should pay for this (final agreed price) is 200k, so go in at 160-170 and work from there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Offer €265,000.

You will get the house if you offer this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Lorrainbo wrote: »
    We're hoping to be in a position to make an offer this October. With today's property market...
    October is a long, long way off. Remember it's a buyer's market and cash is king. Only when the banks start lending again then you'll know when the market has hit bottom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I know a couple who were mortgage approved and drew it down two weeks ago. Does this mean the market has hit bottom DublinWriter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

snubbleste wrote: »
    I know a couple who were mortgage approved and drew it down two weeks ago. Does this mean the market has hit bottom DublinWriter?
    No. In Statistics the size of the sample is generally in inverse proportion to the accuracy of the end-analysis. I'm sure it's great news for your friends, but I don't expect the national media to be making any proclamations on the market the back of their mortgage approval.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thank god for that.
    If I hear of anything in the media about banks lending for mortgages, I'll take heed of your wise words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Not necessarily, some houses are selling for below build cost now. Some pockets are going for >20% above asking. It's a very strange Market out there!

In this case either a bank or developer is selling, so it's possible you might get a very good deal. I'd go in with a very low offer. €150k.

yes, i believe so........i did not say offer that much....

people sometimes do not know the real value........

Just a question, but why would you consider buying this house @265k when you could rent a 5 bed property for €750 a month? Seems more value on the rental market no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

MadsL wrote: »
    Just a question, but why would you consider buying this house @265k when you could rent a 5 bed property for €750 a month? Seems more value on the rental market no?

have done a google search and you can rent a fine 5 bedroom houses in denegal for a lot less than 750 a month. There are a lot of empty houses, and people glad to get someone to keep them heated / aired / maintained.

The banks in certain border counties are selling houses off @ well less than 100 k, so you would be mad to offer more.

Well because I would rather own the property and the end of 30yrs rather than pay €750 a month for 30yrs which equates to €270,000 and not own it. Dead money really!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Well because I would rather own the property and the end of 30yrs rather than pay €750 a month for 30yrs which equates to €270,000 and not own it. Dead money really!
    Rent is not dead money, I think there is an entire thread on boards about this... in the short to medium term, renting can save you a fortune when prices are dropping quickly. I agree about finding out what the cost price of land and similar house would be...

Do people still believe that even after the property crash? The real dead money is the €250+ extra a month you will pay in mortgage payments + stamp duty + fees + insurance + life insurance + maintenance of the property + whatever property taxes get brought in.

If there is better value to be had renting, rent!

But it is your money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

:D Rent is dead money, i'll go live under a bridge or something.

30 years is a hell of a chunk of your life to be paying a loan, that's the part I don't get with people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi all, my husband and I are looking to buy a house, which over the last 2 years has fallen from €375,000 to €265,000. We're hoping to be in a position to make an offer this October. With today's property market the way it is what would you think is a reasonable offer for a house at this price? It's a 5 bedroom house and never been lived in.

By reasonable offer- I assume you're wondering how low an offer you can make that stands a chance of being accepted? If so- it all depends on how desperate the seller is to sell- if the property has been on the market for a considerable amount of time (like the 2 year time frame you've mentioned for example)- then its probable that the current asking price (regardless of how much its fallen) is too high to elicit interest from a small pool of possibly interested buyers- with an even smaller pool of those capable of sourcing the finances.

I don't know what the peak price of a property like this would have been- given the location I imagine around the 400k mark- allowing for a 50% depreciation from peak prices (which is a reasonable rule of thumb for a house- and possibly 70 to 80% for an apartment depending on location)- would indicate that somewhere in the 200k region might be considered reasonable value.

There are different ways of trying to value property- in the current market- possibly using an ROI model (where the price paid for a property would have to generate a net return on investment of say 7 to 8% per annum would be normal). So- assuming this house could rent for 1,000 a month (perhaps not valid given the location)- the annual rent would be 12k, which would indicate a fair market price of about 170k (at 7% ROI) or 150k (at 8% ROI). Investors wouldn't buy at under 7%- as it wouldn't cover the cost of the investment, plus a risk premia- so all things else being equal- if this property would cost 1,000 a month to rent- it might have a max realisable market value of about 170k........

Some people will always attach a higher value to a property (for whatever reason)- it could be close to family or friends, work or whatever........ So- the 170k price would probably be incremented by a premium that people are willing to attach to the property- in the current climate- this might be a 10 to 20% premium- possibly bringing you up to 200-210k..........

Personally- I think the asking price is purely aspirational at the moment- I'd offer possibly 180k, with a view to paying a max of 210- and if it went 1c over 210k- I'd walk, and not look back.

Once you become emotionally attached in a purchase or sale- you're screwed- and you will wrung for every penny a seller can extract from you.......

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Because they want to buy!!

OP you should make an offer of €190k or that for a start which will let them know you have no intention of paying the asking price. When and if this gets rejected wait another couple of weeks before upping your offer and let them know that you have the finances in place and are ready to go straight away and also tell them that there are plenty of other options for you and you aren't prepared to look elsewhere if they are playing ball.

But really what you should offer, should be well under what you are prepared to ultimately pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

its wait and watch game. Dont get emotionally attached to any house or else EA will try to squeeze money out of you! Just make an offer and thenleave it for a while before making a revised offer. I have always asked EA to tell me what is sellers expectation before making a revised offer and if EA doesnt give me a figure I just make a final offer and tell EA to come back anytime if interested in making a deal.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Because they want to buy!!

OP you should make an offer of €190k or that for a start which will let them know you have no intention of paying the asking price. When and if this gets rejected wait another couple of weeks before upping your offer and let them know that you have the finances in place and are ready to go straight away and also tell them that there are plenty of other options for you and you aren't prepared to look elsewhere if they are playing ball.

But really what you should offer, should be well under what you are prepared to ultimately pay.

How are you calculating 190K? As smcarrick posted below;
    There are different ways of trying to value property- in the current market- possibly using an ROI model (where the price paid for a property would have to generate a net return on investment of say 7 to 8% per annum would be normal). So- assuming this house could rent for 1,000 a month (perhaps not valid given the location)- the annual rent would be 12k, which would indicate a fair market price of about 170k (at 7% ROI) or 150k (at 8% ROI). Investors wouldn't buy at under 7%- as it wouldn't cover the cost of the investment, plus a risk premia- so all things else being equal- if this property would cost 1,000 a month to rent- it might have a max realisable market value of about 170k........

I've already linked to 5 bed properties renting for €750 a month, which knocks 25% of those calculations. The house is probably worth €127,500 by that calculation.

190k is a mad first offer.

Here's a 5 bed for 125k
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=652704

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I've already linked to 5 bed properties renting for €750 a month, which knocks 25% of those calculations. The house is probably worth €127,500 by that calculation.

190k is a mad first offer.

Surely the rental of €750 a month for those properties is linked to the mortgage/loan associated with those houses. Are they new houses? How much were they built and subsequently sold for....

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

Rent is anything but dead money when the market is falling. Renting for a few years could save you a small fortune. Also consider the interest you would pay on a mortgage and the additional interest you might earn on your deposit savings.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Surely the rental of €750 a month for those properties is linked to the mortgage/loan associated with those houses. Are they new houses? How much were they built and subsequently sold for....

I imagine they are renting for what they can rent for on the rental market. What has the mortgage got to do with anything? If the market could bear €1000 a month surely they would rent at that.

This looks new, and why the F you would buy when you could rent this for only 800 a month is beyond me. Put the other 300 a month into a pension fund or investments.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1183603

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vic Davidson

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Offer €265,000.

You will get the house if you offer this.

Made me laugh :thumbup: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

This looks new, and why the F you would buy when you could rent this for only 800 a month is beyond me. Put the other 300 a month into a pension fund or investments.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1183603
    Because in 20 years time, the rent will be a hell of a lot higher than 800, and the op will still be paying €1100.

And in 25 years time, the renter still has to find a whack of money each month, and the op has a paid for home.
    Lots of other reasons of course, but there is crux of the economics of home ownership.

Advertisement