Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State using spy planes to catch bog cutters!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

TheChizler wrote: »
    Surely we could be commending them for saving money in this case? The Air Corps would probably be doing pointless exercises anyway as training, it's great that they're being put to proper use. Also can you imagine trying to inspect thousands of acres of bog for change from the ground? You'd have to have dozens of rangers traipsing around by foot for weeks to be as effective as a few hours flying every month or two. The Parks and Wildlife service and Air Corps are showing initiative and great co-operation in doing this, things you don't see much in other services across the country.
    Two men in car looking outwards with binoculars might be cheaper and have less carbon admissions too - which we have to pay for in using fuel up/creating pollution too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

It's like the State thinks they're playing Call of Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Biggins wrote: »
    Two men in car looking outwards with binoculars might be cheaper and have less carbon admissions too - which we have to pay for in using fuel up/creating pollution too?
    Two men with binoculars can survey thousands of acres of inconsistent terrain from a roadside position - including depressions where cutting might not be as obvious - more effectively than two men with binoculars at 1000 ft?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Two men with binoculars can survey thousands of acres of inconsistent terrain from a roadside position - including depressions where cutting might not be as obvious - more effectively than two men with binoculars at 1000 ft?

You have a point to be fair - but the whole thing just seems a bit daft when as someone pointed out, much more of our bogs is being exported!
    ...But lets send up what is an expensive plane per hour just to catch the little guy who can at the end of the day only cut so much himself?

It just seems a tad weird and funny, something typical 'Orish' thats all...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You have a point to be fair - but the whole thing just seems a bit daft when as someone pointed out, much more of our bogs is being exported!
    ...But lets send up what is an expensive plane per hour just to catch the little guy who can at the end of the day only cut so much himself?

It does seem a bit daft on first impressions all right! I suppose the reaction depends on your POV on protected bogs and whether it's worth the risk of fines or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I wonder are there any SAM7's still hidden around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

IF we don't control it were will all the "willo the wisps" go?

Conservation has swayed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

They can take the man out of the bog but cant take the the bog out of the man. Just more and more EU control when is this country going to stand up
    and take no more of this were losing freedom of the land day by day, A god given right to us and its been taken away Let the people cut turf it has been done for thousands of years..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

charlemont wrote: »
    I wonder are there any SAM7's still hidden around...

Bog cutters - The Irish Al-Qaeda.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t136/hogworth/turf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

News sources lie and manipulate. This is the cheapest ****tiest plane being used to survey huge tracts of bog for a relatively minor crime.

This is a good and admirable thing. I only wish there was the same innovation and diligence in all/any other areas of government.

• Advertisement

humbert wrote: »
    ...plane being used to survey huge tracts of bog for a relatively minor crime. .

...Thats what I find funny/odd!
    For what really is a very small crime - especially (but not only) when compared to the much BIGGER amounts taken out in official act - the waste, if not the further expense seems a tad over-reactionary for the small amount that one person is going to take away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And still not one banker jailed......

Foot some turf Paddy........ you're busted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Could they not just pay some bog cutters each part of that instead of sending up the plane? :pac:

It would make more sense? I honestly dunno - it just seems funny but daft at the same time. :D

Thats exactly what they're doing. The people who cut turf on these bogs are being compensated - handsomely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are bogs, and then there are bogs. Some are protected, and not just because of natural beauty or wildlife. The peat layer is shallow, and cutting in the wrong place can lead to whole hillsides coming down when it rains e.g. as shown here. Not good. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Thats exactly what they're doing. The people who cut turf on these bogs are being compensated - handsomely.

Fair enough, good to hear.
    Anyone know whats the actual fine for been caught doing this illegal bog cutting?
    (I hope its more than the cost of flying the said plane per hour at least, if this is such a serious crime that they spend larger amounts so that they can only fine in much smaller ones! Bless, good old Orish economic sense) :pac:

Again, I just think the whole thing is daft. Thats all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

...Thats what I find funny/odd!
    For what really is a very small crime - especially (but not only) when compared to the much BIGGER amounts taken out in official act - the waste, if not the further expense seems a tad over-reactionary for the small amount that one person is going to take away?

If the cost of detection and perhaps prevention is greater than the cost of the damage/repair is it better to do nothing?

I don't see a better alternative wrt surveillance than is being employed and the language of the article is disgustingly hyperbolic/manipulative, 'fixed wing aircraft', spy plane, full of ****.

I'm tempted to compare this to politicians getting helicopter rides across the country but that is obviously wrong and this is taking stern measures to stamp out petty-ish crime which I think the country needs a lot more of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Little guy? Its the turf cutting contractors who they're out to catch. These people roll in with heavy track machinery and destroy all before them. Its actually sickening that its an EU directive that is forcing the government to protect our own environment. These bogs would be stripped back to the bedrock if these contractors and Ming had their way.

We don't own the land, but are merely custodians of the land for our children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

We don't own the land, but are merely custodians of the land for our children.

Same excuse I give for the TV licence and the household charge.

Little guy? Its the turf cutting contractors who they're out to catch. These people roll in with heavy track machinery and destroy all before them. Its actually sickening that its an EU directive that is forcing the government to protect our own environment. These bogs would be stripped back to the bedrock if these contractors and Ming had their way.

Well to be fair to you, that clearly makes more sense if thats the case all the time.

When I read the article first, I had visions of some poor Irish lad digging about in crappy holes and sods all around him, meanwhile trying to spot any planes which might be out to get the poor sod - or sods! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

Its a Cessna not an SR-71.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

This is why I think we should be investing in those drone things, they must be cheaper than operating a full aircraft, plus they could be used to effectively patrol our own waters, which we can't do now.

I can only imagine the hysterics if that happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    This is why I think we should be investing in those drone things, they must be cheaper than operating a full aircraft...

Cheaper than a Cessna? You're having a laugh, right?

The Cessna FR172H is like the Honda 50 of the air. As mentioned above, it's the cheapest heap to get in the air and keep in the air. It would be more expensive to get two guys patrolling on foot (A little exaggeration in the other direction.) Plus, the A/C they are using are ancient. They were purchased 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It would be more expensive to get two guys patrolling on foot (A little exaggeration in the other direction.) Plus, the A/C they are using are ancient. They were purchased 40 years ago.
    That's great, but pilots cost a little bit more yanno. With drones you can train up an operator in a couple of weeks and off you go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I hope they don't fly over my bog, it's awfully brown right now....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

cocoshovel wrote: »
    a Cessna 172? Probably burns less than a bloody 4x4 jeep would and covers a far bigger area. This isnt even that big of a deal nor is it costing us all that much. Hush.

Look, people are being loud and stupid, let them at it.
    It's AH's stock and trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Spy planes?

They're ****ing Cessnas. :pac:

with rockets :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

What do they plan to do if they ever see someone cutting turf?

They are in a ****e plane, 1000ft in the sky where everyone looks like ants:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

government UAV inbound, watch your backs

What do they plan to do if they ever see someone cutting turf?

They are in a ****e plane, 1000ft in the sky where everyone looks like ants:pac:
    Stick their head out the cockpit window, shout at them with a megaphone "Stay where you are - DON'T MOVE! We will be there in a few hours to arrest you as soon as we can land at an airport, drive to you and cross over the bogs to catch you!"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    That's great, but pilots cost a little bit more yanno. With drones you can train up an operator in a couple of weeks and off you go.

You realise that the pilots are army officers? They are being paid anyway. May as well give them something useful to do.

Advertisement