Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor pay as you go broadband Versus 3 pay broadband

• 03-03-2009 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm thinking of getting one of the following broadband deals on pay as you go.

I haven't found any threads on the quality of meteor broadband but there doesn't seem to be many complaints about meteor. There does however with 3.

Has anyone used Meteor and if so have they found it any good in terms of speed.

I was talking to a guy in 3G store in town and he told me that meteor only has a 5gb limit but there are speeds of up to 7.2 MB/s as opposed to 3's 3.2MB/s

I'm just doing some research on the two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

I'm using Three pay monthly with 15gb/month and 3.6Mbps..
    I can get up to 3.4Mbps and I even live out the country!
    At the same time, I've heard good reports about Meteor Broadband and it's speeds.. People usually get up to about the 6.8Mbps mark. Kinda confusing though cause Meteor have a 14.4Mbps network and only have hardware for up to 7.2Mbps..

Anyway, pricing:
    If you were to get Meteor and top up with a day pass in the morning, you are essentially getting 500MB for up to 12 o clock the next night. Afaik, Three will give the same amount of data but will only give you until 12 midnight the day you buy your top-up (I'm open to correction here).

A day pass on Meteor is €2.99. Three is €5. Meteor are better there.

For 30 days, Meteor will give you 5GB for €19.99. Three will give you 10GB for €25. Depends on how much internet you plan on using.

Last factor is how mobile you plan on being..
    If you plan on using your broadband outside Dublin or Cork (in fairness.. it is mobile broadband!), Three would be a safer bet for now at least.

All in all, I would recommend Meteor. But you might have a different opinion beacuse of the factors above...

Cheers, e-sull! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Go with Meteor for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

thanks for the responses. I'll go for the Metoer broadband then. Sure if I don't like I can always return it after 7 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Go for 3, it'll work in a lot more places and there a lot longer in the Mobile Broadband game than Meteor, Expect 3's experience to improve a lot, expect Meteors to deteriate rapidly as new users are added.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Go for 3, it'll work in a lot more places and there a lot longer in the Mobile Broadband game than Meteor, Expect 3's experience to improve a lot, expect Meteors to deteriate rapidly as new users are added.....

Both of those statements are 100% inaccurate. Meteor's will work anywhere in ireland, albeit at a lower speed in some places while 3's will not work at all in many parts of the country. It will work abroad better but that's not what he asked for. You know this full well

Also, 3 have been promising improvements in the service since 2007 which have yet to materialise. You also know this full well

On boards you have previously said how crap 3's broadband is

I despair at the thought of you in a shop filling people's heads with this nonsense

Sam Vimes wrote: »

3 have been promising improvements in the service since 2007 which have yet to materialise. You also know this full well

Ohh I know it alright, it has improved recently, 3, o2, Voda all went through a rough spell, my point is that meteors is yet to come...there new to the game, should be a very good service for a while but will go pearshaped....I could be wrong but if history has thought me anything..:rolleyes:

btw, Meteors parents are broke, I can't see this nationwide rollout being as swift as you hope, if eircoms comments today are anything to go by...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

I'm using 3 and have 10 gigs to use per month which is fine. I find the speed ok but have brief disconnection issues in my fav internet game, ao.

By the way the speeds would be accurate if you were the only user and standing right beside the mast.

Check out the coverage though, 3's coverage is good but go to their site where you can zoom in to where you live/travel just to be sure.

3's Coverage page: http://maps.three.ie/coverageViewer/jsp/content/mapScreen.do

Meteor's Coverage: http://www.meteor.ie/bbtg/payg/coverage/

O2's Coverage: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/O2+Broadband/Check+Coverage/

btw, Meteors parents are broke, I can't see this nationwide rollout being as swift as you hope, if eircoms comments today are anything to go by...

I never said anything about a nationwide rollout. For mobile broadband edge does me just fine tbh. If I want a fast and reliable connection I won't buy use a mobile product, all I ask from it is that I am physically able to connect to the internet wherever I go

For mobile broadband edge does me just fine tbh.

well a lot of people think edge sucks and would rather have 3G coverage....but still if it keeps you happy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Compare Vodafone's and 3's coverage maps.

Consider that in 2002 that Vodafone had 1,200 masts and more now.

I suggest that 3's maps may be "optimistic" as they have about 440 masts now and will have 600 after the current roll-out. They originally talked about having 770 masts. They had to meet various coverage targets by 2007. They claim to meet them.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0416.pdf

it would be good if Vodafone had EDGE, but they only have GPRS. O2 and Meteor have EDGE. But Meteor has very much fewer masts and rely on roaming on O2. In some areas the O2 coverage is much better. If there is poor Meteor coverage, the Meteor modem/Handset won't roam to O2, it only does that in areas with no coverage.

No Operator has universal coverage in Ireland. If we had only one or two Operators and a toothy regulator and a 100% licence condition, then you would get 100% coverage. Four operators is inefficient use of the spectrum.

watty wrote: »
    Compare Vodafone's and 3's coverage maps.

But weren't Vodafone passing off 2.5G as 3G, where as 3 have 3.5G there is a difference in technology, no?
    From what I understand vodafone have a lot of upgrading to to before they have a 3G(3.5G) network....Their network is under immesnse pressure if some of the engineers i've spoken to are to be believed...

There is only 2G (GSM) and UMTS (3G).

Any GSM mast can be upgraded to EDGE (so called 2.5G) and any 3G to HSPDPA, HSUPA or HSPA (so called 3.5G). But for phone calls, which have priority, the mast is still plain GSM or UMTS.

Meteor & O2 support EDGE on GSM which gives up to 245Kbps. It's possible to have 10 people on 2Mbps EDGE2 on GSM. Even 3G's HSPA only manages 1 to 2Mbps for entire sector on average (i.e. one or two people). No one does EDGE2 however.

3 is 3G /HSPA only. You only get GSM/GPRS if it is an area where they pay Vodaphone for coverage.

Vodafone don't have EDGE, only GPRS on GSM, which is 10kbps to 70kps. Vodafone's 3G network does HSDPA.

HSOPA or LTE is 4G, but only really if it has 20MHz spectrum per channel. On 5MHz with one user it's no better than HSPA, but with 40 users it's twice as good capacity as 3G/HSPA.

But weren't Vodafone passing off 2.5G as 3G, where as 3 have 3.5G there is a difference in technology, no?
    From what I understand vodafone have a lot of upgrading to to before they have a 3G(3.5G) network....Their network is under immesnse pressure if some of the engineers i've spoken to are to be believed...

No they were never passing off 2.5G as 3G. They currently have a 3.5G network
    well a lot of people think edge sucks and would rather have 3G coverage....but still if it keeps you happy:)

Well a lot of people think that not being able to use it at all in large parts of the country sucks and would rather have edge but whatever makes you happy :)

Well a lot of people think that not being able to use it at all in large parts of the country sucks and would rather have edge but whatever makes you happy :)

Exactly. I'm thinking of signing up for Meteor's service so I can get internet access when I'm away from home. I wouldn't be using it for anything heavy, I have my 10Mb UPC connection for that. I'd just want to be able to go online wherever I might be.

As I'd be using it as a secondary connection I'd only want to do it as prepaid, leaving me with either 3 or Meteor. Putting aside any prejudices I have of 3, I'd choose Meteor because they have EDGE rather than relying on dial-up speed GPRS outside of 3G coverage.

Meteor, while making use of O2 masts, does have worse coverage/capacity. My phone call reliability increase immediatly after switching from Meteor to O2 was amazing.

Meteor only pay for roaming to O2 masts were there is NO Meteor coverage at all.

Meteor, while making use of O2 masts, does have worse coverage/capacity. My phone call reliability increase immediatly after switching from Meteor to O2 was amazing.

Meteor only pay for roaming to O2 masts were there is NO Meteor coverage at all.

Meteor switched to using Vodafone for their roaming didn't they?

Karsini wrote: »
    As I'd be using it as a secondary connection I'd only want to do it as prepaid, leaving me with either 3 or Meteor. Putting aside any prejudices I have of 3, I'd choose Meteor because they have EDGE rather than relying on dial-up speed GPRS outside of 3G coverage.

There is no relying on GPRS outside of 3G coverage with 3, it just won't connect at all. 3 only has 3G masts and their roaming deal with vodafone only works for calls and texts

@watty, didn't meteor switch their roaming deal to vodafone a few years ago?

Karsini wrote: »
    Meteor switched to using Vodafone for their roaming didn't they?

It seems they did:
    http://kenmc.com/2006/11/14/meteor-roaming-with-vodafone/

same principle applies. I guess they switched as Vodafone has most masts. They took over Eircell, the original eircom Mobile.

Tesco are still using O2?

• Advertisement

There is no relying on GPRS outside of 3G coverage with 3, it just won't connect at all. 3 only has 3G masts and their roaming deal with vodafone only works for calls and texts
    Ooh, another reason not to go with them! I never knew data wasn't working with 3's Vodafone roaming.
    Yes as far as I'm aware.

Yes they are. They don't have any of their own masts. They're an MVNO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I suggest that 3's maps may be "optimistic" as they have about 440 masts now and will have 600 after the current roll-out. They originally talked about having 770 masts. They had to meet various coverage targets by 2007. They claim to meet them.

3 currently have 787 live masts nationwide.

Walkman wrote: »
    Any authoritative reference?

If true, it's still less than 1/2 what they need. Or does the 787 include Vodafone masts they have agreed roaming on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

I think 3 have 400+ masts live nationwide, please prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

bealtine wrote: »
    I think 3 have 400+ masts live nationwide, please prove me wrong.

Like I have sorted before a mate of mine works for them. No this figure is 3's own masts not any vodafone. Can I ask why you think they have 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Like I have sorted before a mate of mine works for them. No this figure is 3's own masts not any vodafone. Can I ask why you think they have 400.

A mate of mine works for them and says different.

Unless anyone's mates are senior and in the right department they won't know.

Curiously some people senior enough to know about these things in some companies make a point of NOT knowing so they can't inadvertently let cats out of bags.

We know that Vodafone has the most sites and there are definately 5643 "sites". Though GSM and 3G at same place and same operator might count as two sites. I'm fairly sure that a mast shared between 2 operators (with their own spectrum each) counts as two sites.

hello all, does anybody know if these mobile broadband services are suitable for gaming over xbox live??? i use digiweb 8 meg but lately the service has turned to poop on a stick. i would say the connection is dropped in at least half of all sessions, SO ANNOYING:mad:.

• Advertisement

Which Digiweb are you on? DSL, Metro or other? Some Metro users may accidently be on wrong settings.

Contact them.

I've used O2's 3G/HSDPA and it's not suitable for gaming. My Metro has about 1/4 of the BEST ping of mobile and nearly x10 speed.

The clue is in the name. These Mobile services are designed for Mobile use. Great for that. :)

Advertisement