Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Katie OS wrote: »
    Hi Stove Fan, Am looking at getting a boiler stove installed to run with my oil central heating. Live in a bungalow. Is this going to be a major job? Looking at wainsford 18kw boiler stove? Any recommendations or have you had any negative remarks re wainsford?
    Totally headwreaked looking at all the different stoves. Thanks for any advice you can give
    Katie OS

Hi, A few questions first.
    Where is the hotpress/hot water cylinder in relation to the new stove location?
    What is the room size where the stove is going?
    What are your rad sizes in CM?
    Is your oil boiler open vented or filled by a braided filling loop?
    Age of house and insulation levels?

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Katie OS

Hi Stove Fan,
    Dont have a clue about the oil boiler. We got it installed new about 8 yrs ago and I can find out from the guy who installed it what type it is, I know it was a good one cost 1200 at the time. The bungalow was built in the 70's. Insulation is poor. It is detached and was extended about 16 yrs ago. 10 rads in all sizes as follows. 60, 74, 103, 108, 115,120, 120, 140, 140,190, all cms. Emersion tank is in hot press about 9 feet from where
    boiler stove would be. All stone floors. Open fireplace where I burn a fire every night in winter. There was originally a backboiler but previous owners took it out. Any advice gratefully accepted.
    Demented.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paddy_ot

Hi All,

I have been reading through the thread with great interest. Stove Fan your knowledge of stovez and their setups in astonishing, fair play.

I myself plan to install a stove and have set about doing some homework. My scenario is as follows any hints and recommendations would be appreciated.

I want to put a stove in a room measuring 5m X 5m at 2.5 meters in height. The room is a small wing on the side of our bungalow. It has been traditionally the coldest room in the house as it’s at the end of the house and gets all the nasty winter wind and rain from the west before the rest of the house. There is nothing in the attic above the room. Which I recently insulated with 400mm rock wool.

There are four small windows and double doors leading outside so plenty of ways to lose heat from the room. There is one door leading into the house into a very large room.

My questions what size stove to I need to heat a room of this size. Is there a fan or some device that might circulate some of the heat to the other larger adjacent room?

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

Hi,

I am contemplating fitting an inset stove in the living room as a room heater only.

The room is 17ft x 11 ft, standard ceiling height. The fireplace is a standard size opening (no back boiler).

What size of a stove would be sufficient for this and could you recommend any in particular with a contemporary look?

Also, at the base of the fireplace opening there are 3 small granite tles which are there as expansion pieces I guess (the fireplace itself is cream). However, the centre one of these tiles is cracked. Is it possible, or indeed a big job, to replace this tile prior to fitting the stove?

Many thanks

Hi Stove Fan,
    Dont have a clue about the oil boiler. We got it installed new about 8 yrs ago and I can find out from the guy who installed it what type it is, I know it was a good one cost 1200 at the time. The bungalow was built in the 70's. Insulation is poor. It is detached and was extended about 16 yrs ago. 10 rads in all sizes as follows. 60, 74, 103, 108, 115,120, 120, 140, 140,190, all cms. Emersion tank is in hot press about 9 feet from where
    boiler stove would be. All stone floors. Open fireplace where I burn a fire every night in winter. There was originally a backboiler but previous owners took it out. Any advice gratefully accepted.
    Demented.:eek:

Hi, I have calculated your boiler stove required and your looking at around 15kw but as you may of included rad(s) in the room where the stove will be you could probably go for a stove with a 12kw backboiler.
    I have calculated your rad sizes based on 5 large doubles and the rest singles.
    You dont say what your room size is?
    You need a plumber to visit as the open fire backboiler may of been disconnected due to an oil boiler being fitted which was a pressurised system which the solid fuel stove/boiler can't connect into.

• Advertisement

Paddy_ot wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been reading through the thread with great interest. Stove Fan your knowledge of stovez and their setups in astonishing, fair play.

I myself plan to install a stove and have set about doing some homework. My scenario is as follows any hints and recommendations would be appreciated.

I want to put a stove in a room measuring 5m X 5m at 2.5 meters in height. The room is a small wing on the side of our bungalow. It has been traditionally the coldest room in the house as it’s at the end of the house and gets all the nasty winter wind and rain from the west before the rest of the house. There is nothing in the attic above the room. Which I recently insulated with 400mm rock wool.

There are four small windows and double doors leading outside so plenty of ways to lose heat from the room. There is one door leading into the house into a very large room.

My questions what size stove to I need to heat a room of this size. Is there a fan or some device that might circulate some of the heat to the other larger adjacent room?

Thanks everyone.

Hi, thank you:)

I roughly calculated 4.5kw as a standard insulated building but myself I would advice a stove rated at 6Kw output.
    There are many stoves about but I really like the woodwarm fireview 6kw.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/6kw.ashx
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7MVjL6BWM
    See if there are any stoves you like here.
    http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Woodburning-Stoves-and-Multifuel-Stoves.html
    You can see if there are any reviews here.
    www.whatstove.co.uk

You can buy an ecofan which rests on top of a flat topped stove which automatically spreads the heat around.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eco+fan&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9509693345&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2264149522057033715&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_pdvavqdx5_b

There are many other makes too. Stanley, boru, Blacksmith etc etc.

batman1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am contemplating fitting an inset stove in the living room as a room heater only.

The room is 17ft x 11 ft, standard ceiling height. The fireplace is a standard size opening (no back boiler).

What size of a stove would be sufficient for this and could you recommend any in particular with a contemporary look?

Also, at the base of the fireplace opening there are 3 small granite tles which are there as expansion pieces I guess (the fireplace itself is cream). However, the centre one of these tiles is cracked. Is it possible, or indeed a big job, to replace this tile prior to fitting the stove?

Many thanks

Hi, your room requires a stove output of 4kw. If you want contempoary insert how about a contura I4? Very nicely made and after sales excellent.
    http://www.contura.eu/English/Stoves/Inserts/Insert-Contura-i4-Classic/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYBcT8dP_c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    http://www.esse.com/multifuel-stoves/350se/
    Woodwarm fireview4kw.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/4kwinsetfireview.ashx
    I myself would go for the Contura.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paddy_ot

Thanks Stove Fan,I'll check those links out. There is a small existing firewall place in the room complete with fireback. I was thinking of taking out the fireback enlarging the space to accomaadate the stove.Or would I be better closing up the fireplace after the flue is in place and leave the stove free standing out from the chimney breast. At least that way the heat from the stove would circulate better than if I built it into the fireplace?Thanks again.

Hi Stove Fan
    The system is open, just checked with installer. The room is 12'x15'. The boiler I was looking at was a Wainsford 18kw. Are they any good?. Thanks for your advice you're a star!
    Demented Katie:eek:

PS to all following this thread does anyone know a good boiler stove installer?
    Katie OS:eek:

• Advertisement

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi, your room requires a stove output of 4kw. If you want contempoary insert how about a contura I4? Very nicely made and after sales excellent.
    http://www.contura.eu/English/Stoves/Inserts/Insert-Contura-i4-Classic/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYBcT8dP_c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    http://www.esse.com/multifuel-stoves/350se/
    Woodwarm fireview4kw.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/4kwinsetfireview.ashx
    I myself would go for the Contura.

Can all these stoves burn multifuel, that is wood/coal/briquettes etc or just wood? I live in a non-smokeless zone and normally burn normal coal and logs

Paddy_ot wrote: »
    Thanks Stove Fan,I'll check those links out. There is a small existing firewall place in the room complete with fireback. I was thinking of taking out the fireback enlarging the space to accomaadate the stove.Or would I be better closing up the fireplace after the flue is in place and leave the stove free standing out from the chimney breast. At least that way the heat from the stove would circulate better than if I built it into the fireplace?Thanks again.

Your cheapest and easiest option would be to line the chimney, close off the opening and install stove in front of the chimney breast using the stoves rear flue outlet.

Enlarging the fireplace may not be possible unless your house is old or it would require quite a bit of support, demolition and reconstruction on a modern build. Modern homes the chimney/fireplace opening was built for the width of the clay fireback.

Installing using the top option would save quite a lot of work.

Hi Stove Fan
    The system is open, just checked with installer. The room is 12'x15'. The boiler I was looking at was a Wainsford 18kw. Are they any good?. Thanks for your advice you're a star!
    Demented Katie:eek:

Good news that your existing system is open vented:)

Your room requires a stove heat output of 3-4kw. I had a look at wainsford stoves and to me they seem to be a chinese cast import for the price. I have not seen one or know of any reviews. I tried to find the stoves boiler heat output and room heat output on the www and unfortunately didn't find this infomation. You need to make sure the stoves room heat doesn't exceed 4kw and the boiler is at least 12kw in output.
    You may consider an inset stove like the esse 350 greenswitch for the lower room heat of 3.75kw You may be able to go for a stove with higher room heat if you have doors to other rooms to let the heat spread.
    Unfortunately my wireless broadband is in slow mode at the moment:mad:

Can all these stoves burn multifuel, that is wood/coal/briquettes etc or just wood? I live in a non-smokeless zone and normally burn normal coal and logs

Hi, yes they can burn all fuels except stoves should not really burn the smoky coal due to the rapid heat and long flame. Some manufacturers allow this but most advice against it due to the heat. Smokeless coal, peat and wood is fine.

PS to all following this thread does anyone know a good boiler stove installer?
    Katie OS:eek:

Unfortunately I don't know any installers here as being a plumber I installed my own.

I should really install stoves here but not much point now as I'm returning to live in the UK from Kerry. Plan to do the HETAS course and install there.

All I would say is get several quotes and get them to itemise and detail all the work involved and compare like for like. If you can get a recommendation great, if not ask if you can visit a past client of his.

Stove Fan just one more question, will the 18kw stove be ok and are wainsford a brand you know and would recommend.
    Thanks
    KatieOS:eek:

Sorry stove fan. just saw your reply re boiller. Thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated.
    KatieOS

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caitb

Hi Stove fan, We're in the process of getting a stove as a room heater only (not needed for rad etc). I've boiled it down to 2 stoves the Stanley lismore and the Henley (not sure name) both give the kw we require. Which would you choose if purchasing ?? taking into account the Henley is significantly cheaper.
    Cait

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nibbles12

Hi Stove Fan, I'm currently renting a 1950's style terrace house and the solid fuel open fire is not connected to radiators. I'm assuming putting in a back boiler is the answer to heating the rads? Do you know how much it costs and can one be installed to an old fireplace? The hotpress is right beside the fire downstairs. Radiators can currently be heated by ofch which is proving bery expensive. There are 9 radiators in the whole house. Any advice or assistance is welcome.

caitb wrote: »
    Hi Stove fan, We're in the process of getting a stove as a room heater only (not needed for rad etc). I've boiled it down to 2 stoves the Stanley lismore and the Henley (not sure name) both give the kw we require. Which would you choose if purchasing ?? taking into account the Henley is significantly cheaper.
    Cait

Stanley without a doubt. I may be wrong but I'm wondering if they are not made in Ireland just assembled?

Who knows but surely they would mention the factory and have photos on the website?

I would go for stanley out of the two as it's actually a make I have heard of.

Really though it's the one you prefer:D

• Advertisement

nibbles12 wrote: »
    Hi Stove Fan, I'm currently renting a 1950's style terrace house and the solid fuel open fire is not connected to radiators. I'm assuming putting in a back boiler is the answer to heating the rads? Do you know how much it costs and can one be installed to an old fireplace? The hotpress is right beside the fire downstairs. Radiators can currently be heated by ofch which is proving bery expensive. There are 9 radiators in the whole house. Any advice or assistance is welcome.

An open fire backboiler can be installed to an old surround. The existing surround would be removed as well as the clay fireback, a hole in the side of the chimney breast drilled through for the boiler pipes. Boiler installed and backfilled with vermiculite and flaunched. Old surround refixed. Then plumbed into the hotpress using a twin coil cylinder. This is only possible if the existing oil system is open vented and not pressurised.

An open fire back boiler should work but not near as efficient as a boiler stove. This could cost at least 2,000 euro upwards if a boiler stove is installed. Less if a used open fire boiler was installed and labour was reasonable.

It would prove rather expensive to do unless the landlord is prepared to pay. You would need his approval in any case.
    I personally don't think the landlord would want to pay for a boiler stove as selfishly he isn't paying the oil bill.

He may be ok with you installing a non boiler stove and taking it with you when you move though. This would help reduce the reliance on oil and leave the door/doors open with possible ecofan on top of the stove to circulate the warm air. I think this could be a good compromise:)

Either way discuss with your landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

i am moving house and there is a back boiler in the sitting room fire place. I was considering putting in a stove in its place. without actually seeing it, is this relavtivley straightforward and are there any potential downsides?

Hi Stovefan,

Following on from my previous post, I have had quotes for several stoves locally and would be keen to hear your opinion on the stoves.

The Boru 400i at a good price 899
    Esse 350 with a contemporary door at 1495
    Henley achill matt for 999

I like the look of the boru but as it's a lot cheaper than the esse, is there something I'm missing or another reason for it being much cheaper?

I haven't heard of the Henley stove before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DON44

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help me out of a predicament.

I've picked up a second-hand Firewarm 16Kw Multifuel Stove (non-boiler) but it is a little too tall to fit under the mantle where I want to position it.

It's dminsions are: -

Height 863mm Width 640mm Depth 467mm

The legs on the stove are 180mm in height.

I estimate that I need to reduce the overall height by about 100mm.

I checked with Firewarm to see if they had any shorter legs that I could buy, but unfortunately they only do the one size.

My question is, does anyone know if there are any other compatible shorter legs that I could buy (presumably from another stove make) that would fit this Firewarm stove????

The only other alternative that I can think of is to cut the existing legs to size. Any thoughts or advice on this option??

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

DON

viztopia wrote: »
    i am moving house and there is a back boiler in the sitting room fire place. I was considering putting in a stove in its place. without actually seeing it, is this relavtivley straightforward and are there any potential downsides?

I take it you want to replace the open fire backboiler and install a stove with backboiler?

If this is the case then quite straightforward, the hearth would need extending, the old backboiler drained fully and ideally removed, or holes drilled in it.

The new stove connected to the chimney with door in for sweeping to clear the soot at base of chimney or connect the stoves flue outlet directly to the clay liner using a clay liner adapter and fluepipe.

The old boiler pipes extended and connected to the new stoves boiler crossflowed, not just using one side of the 4 outlets. Ie connected diagonally opposite on a 4 outlet boiler stove.

If installing just a non boiler stove then ideally the boiler should be disconnected and removed.

Cant see any downsides except additional cost. What I would do first though is see if the open fire boiler system works/plumbed ok before going to further expense.

Hi Stovefan,

Following on from my previous post, I have had quotes for several stoves locally and would be keen to hear your opinion on the stoves.

The Boru 400i at a good price 899
    Esse 350 with a contemporary door at 1495
    Henley achill matt for 999

I like the look of the boru but as it's a lot cheaper than the esse, is there something I'm missing or another reason for it being much cheaper?

I haven't heard of the Henley stove before.

Hi, to be honest I had never heard of boru or Henley until I came to live in Ireland from the Uk so don't have any experiance with those makes.
    Out of them it would be esse.

DON44 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help me out of a predicament.

I've picked up a second-hand Firewarm 16Kw Multifuel Stove (non-boiler) but it is a little too tall to fit under the mantle where I want to position it.

It's dminsions are: -

Height 863mm Width 640mm Depth 467mm

The legs on the stove are 180mm in height.

I estimate that I need to reduce the overall height by about 100mm.

I checked with Firewarm to see if they had any shorter legs that I could buy, but unfortunately they only do the one size.

My question is, does anyone know if there are any other compatible shorter legs that I could buy (presumably from another stove make) that would fit this Firewarm stove????

The only other alternative that I can think of is to cut the existing legs to size. Any thoughts or advice on this option??

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

DON

To be honest I have no idea if you can get another nanufacturers legs to fit. You may be best to get a blacksmith to make some up in 3inch angle iron and get him to cut them top and bottom so as to angle them to look better and then weld a top plate on each leg to enable it to be bolted to the stove.

It sounds though that the stove is way too tall to fit into the fireplace if I have this correct. It should have 300mm space between the stove top and fireplace top lintel opening and 150mm either side.

You could try cutting the cast iron legs but I doubt it will cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Hi all.Have been following this thread and in particular the advice of stov fan which has been invaluable and honest.Sad to hear that you are leaving our shores stove fan. I had hoped that you were going to set up in some consultancy capacity, I for one would have been a willing paying customer.
    I have been looking at the firebird 16 kw insert stove but cannot find any reviews online.I have fourteen rads half of them doubles ,house 2005 well insulated , i plan on only using about ten rads in total and the 3 kw to the room will be sufficent.
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or similar stoves they would recommend.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

At the stage of picking out a boiler stove for a heating upgrade, currently have oil fired c heating with an open fireplace no back boiler, looking to get an inset stove linked to heating system and holding on to the existing oil fired.

sitting room size is 3.5 x 2.8 x 2.2 metres
    Rad sizes are in cm

50x145 x 2 singles
    50x165 double
    50x155 single
    50x130 single
    50x120 single
    50x110 single
    50x65 double
    50x55 single
    50x45 double

I prefer the Stratford EB12iHe but I'm finding it difficult to actually purchase one in the Limerick area, I have been offered the YOLA 17I at €1,475 but not as aesthetically pleasing as the Stratford imho! The ESSE 350gs is also an alternative, any one have any opinions on these? and also latest prices I should be expecting to pay for the stove?

thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭strewthelvis

Hi all,
    Recently bough a mobile home while rebuilding. Its Gas everything in it. In the past two weeks we have gone through a large gas drum (not sure of size, but the big ones). We haven't been there during the day as we work and had heating on few hours in evening but not constant on. Haven’t used the cooker more than twice so seems like a lot of gas used.

We are not thinking maybe we should install a small stove. would anyone have experience of doing this, any recommendations for stove? any idea of cost? mobile is 39* 12. Advice really appreciated and needed.

Advertisement