Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

Basq wrote: »
    It'll be a breeze.. don't get worried if it takes a bit of time. Can take 3-5 minutes.. just leave it connected and have a cuppa!

A breeze indeed! That was very straight forward after all! Thanks!

Now, any must haves from cydia for the ipad? The jailbreak is just the begining...!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

theaaao wrote: »
    A breeze indeed! That was very straight forward after all! Thanks!
    Good to hear..
    theaaao wrote: »
    Now, any must haves from cydia for the ipad? The jailbreak is just the begining...!:D

SBSettings is the single best reason to JB in my opinion - a quick swipe at the top of the screen to toggle WiFi / Bluetooth / 3G / Edge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

agreed ^^
    Another must have is scrollingdock , sbrotator and lockinfo. All paid apps on cydia but well worth the price.
    I really miss those 4 apps most of all when I restore my phone.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Can't seem to get push for Sparrow working (Sparrow+)...

Anyone else having this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I can't find any packages (SBSettings, Make It Mine etc) when I search on Cydia. I found Winterboard but when I go to install it I get a message saying '' The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed '' Anyone any idea whats wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ICaughtYou Pro is a great jb app. If anyone attempts entering your password incorrectly on your lock screen it will silently take a pic of them with the front camera and will email the pic and the location details to your email.
    Another new favourite of mine is grooveshark enhancer. Best you google than me explain on this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Duff wrote: »
    I can't find any packages (SBSettings, Make It Mine etc) when I search on Cydia. I found Winterboard but when I go to install it I get a message saying '' The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed '' Anyone any idea whats wrong?
    Close cydia from the switcher and start it up again, that usually sorts the requested modifications problem for me.
    Once you done that, from cydias homescreen go to featured > Tools to start with. Is SBSettings on the list there for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Simply Red wrote: »
    Close cydia from the switcher and start it up again, that usually sorts the requested modifications problem for me.
    Once you done that, from cydias homescreen go to featured > Tools to start with. Is SBSettings on the list there for you?

What do you mean switcher? :o Also SBSsettings is there but it says it cannot locate the package and that I should install more sources?

EDIT: Got it sorted. Had to run rocky racoon. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just broke my ip4 with absinthe, easiest brake yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hi, planning to jailbreak my IP4 on 5.1.1. Is there an unlock available for this yet does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭guil

biko wrote: »
    Just broke my ip4 with absinthe, easiest brake yet.
    Surely nothing has being easier than spirit on 3.1.3 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 3GS running the latest version of iOS. Is it possible for me to jailbreak it? I just looked at the thread and it's huge and will take ages to go through!

G-Money wrote: »
    I have a factory unlocked iPhone 3GS running the latest version of iOS. Is it possible for me to jailbreak it? I just looked at the thread and it's huge and will take ages to go through!
    You can yep, just download absinthe from here, very easy jailbreak to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Simply Red wrote: »
    You can yep, just download absinthe from here, very easy jailbreak to do

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭podge.243

Hi sorry for jumping in like this i was just wondering could an iphone 3 be unlocked from a bill to a pre-pay as my sister got an upgrand and i was thinking i could use her old phone any help will do thanks Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭podge.243

Thanks Basq em i'd say there's no difference to the phone as the day she bought it so it wouldnt have been jailbroken im no good with technology and the network was vodafone is there a shop that sets them up for pre-pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Any time I add a theme or mod from Cydia it causes some apps not to load

Anyone else experiencing this

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

guil wrote: »

I'll meet your spirit and raise you jailbreakeme.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭guil

guil wrote: »

I'll meet your spirit and raise you jailbreakeme.com
    Lol that's the one I was thinking of

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hi Guys,

My iPhone 4 is currently on iOS 5.1 and it has the old tethered jailbreak which I did with redsnow.

I tried to upgrade the phone to iOS 5.1.1 but it seems I cannot because I am jailbroken. I want to go untethered as it would save the hassle when the phone battery dies.

I read here a way to do it? However I am not sure if it is the right way to do it. I would in effect be downloading non-kosher iOS 5.1.1 into it, meaning I could never then truely revert the Jailbreak as the phone would be stuck with non-apple iOS 5.1.1 on it invalidating the warranty?

Rockyracoon doesn't work as I am on 5.1, so does it look like I will have to backup and restore, un-jailbreaking the phone before I can upgrade it to iOS 5.1.1 and subsequently re-jailbreaking using Absinthe to finally give me the untethered Jailbreak I desire?

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

My iPhone 4 is currently on iOS 5.1 and it has the old tethered jailbreak which I did with redsnow.

I tried to upgrade the phone to iOS 5.1.1 but it seems I cannot because I am jailbroken. I want to go untethered as it would save the hassle when the phone battery dies.

I read here a way to do it? However I am not sure if it is the right way to do it. I would in effect be downloading non-kosher iOS 5.1.1 into it, meaning I could never then truely revert the Jailbreak as the phone would be stuck with non-apple iOS 5.1.1 on it invalidating the warranty?

Rockyracoon doesn't work as I am on 5.1, so does it look like I will have to backup and restore, un-jailbreaking the phone before I can upgrade it to iOS 5.1.1 and subsequently re-jailbreaking using Absinthe to finally give me the untethered Jailbreak I desire?
    What happens when you try to upgrade to 5.1.1? Being jailbroken shouldnt have any effect on that

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Yes but that's not as difficult as you seem to think. Just backup and update in itunes and once you've updated rejailbreak.That what all of us have done. The Absinthe JB only takes minutes as opposed to the last ed snow one.

Anyone else think that we should have a separate thread dedicated to cydia apps and tweaks? It's a pity that experiences of those aren't really being shared because there are some great ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anyone else think that we should have a separate thread dedicated to cydia apps and tweaks? It's a pity that experiences of those aren't really being shared because there are some great ones.

definitely...here everything gets lock with posts about unlocking your phone etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭patmac

Help, I just jailbroke my IPad 3 and downloaded SBSettings, it asked me to reload and now 10 minutes later all I have is blank screen with the download symbol in the middle. It won't switch of. Looks like I will have to reset.

Okay panic over held the toggle key and the power key at the same time and it came back. Bit scary as this was the first app downloaded from Cydia!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

Guys vodafone are going to unlock my iphone but it takes 3-4 working days. Im going to the states in the morning and im unsure as to how this process works. They told me they will email me a password, will I need to change my settings on my itunes or will I be able to do it directly on the iPhone?

In other words, based on those who have had iphones previously unlocked by vodafone, can anyone confirm whether they need to access their itunes account in order to process the unlock? because I wont be bringing my laptop with me! So stressful, its my own fault for leaving it this late! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

mdbatches wrote: »
    In other words, based on those who have had iphones previously unlocked by vodafone, can anyone confirm whether they need to access their itunes account in order to process the unlock? because I wont be bringing my laptop with me! So stressful, its my own fault for leaving it this late! :eek:

Any computer will do, just pop in a new sim card connect it to the computer. It should automatically unlock. You may have to do a restore though.

That reminds me i have to get mine unlocked...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

TBi wrote: »
    Any computer will do, just pop in a new sim card connect it to the computer. It should automatically unlock. You may have to do a restore though.

Thanks a million! By the way, sorry for the ignorant question but if I restore it will I lose everything on it? Theyre a great little machine, but oh so complicated for simple little people like me.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TBi

mdbatches wrote: »
    Thanks a million! By the way, sorry for the ignorant question but if I restore it will I lose everything on it? Theyre a great little machine, but oh so complicated for simple little people like me.. :rolleyes:

It will wipe everything but you can restore from a backup. You can back up most things, like sms, settings, emails and stuff. However the movies and music wouldn't be backed up (they can be though) so they can't be put back. They would have to some from the original pc, or you could take the music off whoevers PC you are using.

If you aren't worried about music and movies you could back up to iCloud, then you aren't putting any of your personal info on another persons computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have the iPhone 3G (yes, it is that old) and have been thinking about jailbreaking it lately.

I've checked out Absinthe, and sadly it is not compatible with the 3G, only the 3GS and later models.

Does anyone know of a way I can jailbreak this one quite simply?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement