Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find yourself a bandmate 101 (opinions welcome)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Please note, this thread is How to find yourself a bandmate. As such don't post here if you are looking to join or form a band, post a thread about it using the template from here instead.

Future off-topic posts will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MC707

1) Bump your ad regularly and be patient.

2) Suggest meeting up with band / musician immediately. Better to meet face to face. Time wasters will probably back off at the thought of actually meeting up. I could name and shame plenty of people here for all of a sudden disappearing after exchanging phone numbers / emails / PM's over several days.

3) If you are a serious band / musician ensure your ad conveys it. E.g. we rehearse 3 nights a week

4) Use links to show what level you are at, helps to see whether you are too good / not good enough.

5) Give as much info as possible if you are a band in relation to what you cover etc.

6) Give the location of rehearsals and find out if musicians can make speicific times e.g. 7pm.

7) Find out what gear a musician uses. An experienced musician with a genuine interest will usually spend money on their gear.

8) Experience - has the person / band gigged, are they a start up.

9) Age of the band and is it all male / female / half and half etc.

Seems to me there are a lot of dreamers on here. On a Friday night after a couple of beers it seems like lots of people think a band is a brilliant idea, come monday morning they dissapear off the face of the earth and you never hear from them! Try and spot these ASAP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Excellent points above from MC707! I've learned from experience to meet up with musicians prior to going to a rehearsal studio. It gives you an idea what they're like but more importantly will be a good sign of whether they'd turn up to an actual rehearsal. It really isn't nice being left waiting for someone at a studio down a ****ty laneway with your beloved instrument. :(

A further point I'd add is to use the template that Papa Smut provided for the musicians ads. For me this has been a great help. It's clear and to the point.

Additionally I'd say post up one or two examples of songs by bands you're taking influence from. Some artists have led varied careers so it's much better to show exactly what you're referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭seanypants

aw cool , i didnt know that , thanks for the help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RossThomas

Hi there. Sorry if this is annoyingly off topic, but I'm new here and want to post about a band member wanted but don't know how to even post things. Can someone explain please?

• Advertisement

RossThomas wrote: »
    Hi there. Sorry if this is annoyingly off topic, but I'm new here and want to post about a band member wanted but don't know how to even post things. Can someone explain please?
    Welcome to Boards! If you want to start a thread about wanting a band member start by clicking here then click the newthread.gif image on the top left of that page. When writing your post please try to follow the advice that you've hopefully already read on this thread. You should also read the forum charter to familiarise yourself with what you should and shouldn't post. You might also want to have a browse around the Newbies forum. There's a lot of good advice there. Lastly if you've any specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RossThomas

Thanks Malice! It's all alien to me. But got the post up now hope it's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mydingaling

This would be a great improvement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ulveren

Hello Lads, I have a question relating to putting up third party links onto a thread. Is it in keeping with the site's rules that I can post the URL for my Facebook and YouTube pages?

Ulveren wrote: »
    Hello Lads, I have a question relating to putting up third party links onto a thread. Is it in keeping with the site's rules that I can post the URL for my Facebook and YouTube pages?
    If you're posting a thread looking for band members and you add Facebook and YouTube links to show examples of your work then that's fine. If you're not looking for band members but just to promote your band then there is a Band Promotion forum for that. Gigs can be listed in the Gigs & Events forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ulveren

The tips on this thread have been helpful, but they seem to be primarily focused on bands acquiring new members. My particular position, that of a sole musician seeking others to play with, is perhaps not as well addressed. Are there any specific tips for players like me who want to advertise?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Don't know if it's been raised, but as I just thought of it a minute ago, with the 'community' aspect in mind, try contacting bands who are looking for similar candidates as yourself, they may have come across unsuitable users here who may suit your own needs. In the interest of pro-activity. Obviously this 'caring and sharing' attitude should extend to boards users, that is to say sharing of personal details such as phone numbers or email should NOT be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Citizensmith

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I just changed my title to put in my location, which I had further down in the text but not in the title - obvious, but I didn't think of it - some kind of template would probably help
    keep up the good work moderators!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Sorry people... But... I..... Must.... REVIVE this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭seanypants

i think there should be some sort of category... example if your where looking for a singer you would go into the singer (available) section.. so on so forth

• Registered Users Posts: 15 balbriggans

My two cents: subject line needs to definitely include some sort of suggestion of the style of music sought. means one can scan through the subject lines in search of "free jazz cork" or "dub reggae sligo" etc. and avoid all the ones that currently do not mention "covers" or "u2 chilli foo" in their subject line.
    without that, a huge amount of time wasted looking at stuff not relevant to each individuals likes or dislikes

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r.duke

agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

To stick with the charter:

GENRE: Traditional Irish music
    POSITIONS AVAILABLE: Singer

More details:
    We are looking for a singer with a strong voice to join an open traditional Irish music session in Galway City. Probably (but not necessarily) the singer would sing ballads (other songs - Bob Dylan, Paul Brady, .... all very welcome). Ideally they would accompany themselves on guitar, and _also_ be able to accompany tunes (jigs, reels,...)
    Thats asking for a lot (I know), but if you can do some of that - you're very welcome :)
    This is _not_ a band as such. It is an open session. But there is very modest remuneration for each musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭DJ Feego

It'd be incredible and it'd make life so much easier if this forum could be split into two sections
    Covers and Originals
    I'm just saying!

Advertisement