Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens MMA in Ireland?

• 16-08-2009 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

Hey

I was just thinking today and was wondering how many women there are doing MMA in Ireland? Whether it be beginners or pro. I've only heard of a few and was wondering what the future of womens MMA is in Ireland? and if its progressing at all. Anyone have women in their club that do MMA and whats your views for the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cant think of her name but there is one Irish woman who had good success with the Elite XC "Cage Rage" that you can see on Sky 419.

She has her hair dyed pink? Argh cant think of the name.

Anyway she had like a 9-0-0 record last time i saw her, and she won by rear naked choke after about 20 seconds. Far too good for everyone she fought.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on who she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Aisling Daly is probably the most successful woman's MMA competitor in Ireland, and to be honest - right up there in Europe too.

Overall - Women's MMA in Ireland is not wide-scale, and often girls compete in male categories for grappling and such. But it does seem to be getting bigger. But like any combat sport, the ratio of men to women will always be much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

There's a woman training with us in my MMA gym (which must remain nameless of course:rolleyes:) and she's doing really well. Also, lots of girls doing the kickboxing classes every week.

I can see female participation in MMA classes going up and up, whether that translates into entrants into competition is another story. Personally I doubt it.

Given the sanctimonious BS that has surrounded the recognition of women's boxing as an Olympic sport, one gets the feeling that it may be a long time before women's MMA is viewed as anything other than horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Maynard wrote: »
    There's a woman training with us in my MMA gym (which must remain nameless of course:rolleyes:) and she's doing really well.
    Great stuff. If she's -60kgs or so would she be willing to fight on my show at Christmas time? We have a girl looking for fights at C class level. Pass on y details and get her or your coach to contact me either way please.
    barry@informedperformance.com

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Roper wrote: »
    Great stuff. If she's -60kgs or so would she be willing to fight on my show at Christmas time? We have a girl looking for fights at C class level. Pass on y details and get her or your coach to contact me either way please.
    barry@informedperformance.com

Sure. Will be seeing her next week and ask her how she'd feel about it. Will PM you back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭UFR Management

We have a regular class of between 15-20 ladies at the EFR gym in Antrim on wednesdays,some of these girls wil be wanting to compete before the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Given that there has always been a decent level of female competitors in traditional martial arts, I would say that there should be/will be decent representation in MMA.

BTW - great to see women's boxing getting the nod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

We have a lady who trains with us who should be looking to fight in the future.

Just needs some more matt time but has a lot of potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭angeldance

Jason Mc wrote: »
    We have a lady who trains with us who should be looking to fight in the future.

Just needs some more matt time but has a lot of potential

Thanks Jason. Aye def looking to fight in the future, but as Jason said I just need alittle more matt time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Megan Stale Sty

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    She has her hair dyed pink? Argh cant think of the name.

Without further ado...

attachment.php?attachmentid=88305&stc=1&d=1250529973

Pink ta' make the boyz wink.

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

yeh ais has brilliant bjj, where you training angeldance? good to see more women training. I've only started training, find it alot of fun!

I train in Evolve in Derry. Love it, great club. I'm the only female there yet, but I'm sure others will follow soon, and TBH it doesn't bother me cause I'm just treated the same as the fella's. I also do full contact kickboxing, so I'm used to the competing side of fights, just have to train abit more then I'll be taking mma fights. How do you train with? You gonna start competing? x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Aisling!

Without further ado...

attachment.php?attachmentid=88305&stc=1&d=1250529973

Pink ta' make the boyz wink.

:P

That's fantastic, I love it! Thanks for that! :D

Hi Ash you got any fights coming up?

angeldance wrote: »
    Hi Ash you got any fights coming up?

Hey :)

Yes I'm fighting on the 7th of November in Mayo against a Finnish girl Majiu Kujala, I can't wait for it now! :)

Would love to go see you fight, but Mayo is some trek (and knowing me I'd get lost haha) best of luck for it. xxx

Thanks, sure if you do manage to go we can make a night of it, it'll be good fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Yea and i met the pink haired lady in Jan at Joe Rogan gig and got a pic too, so that was cool, the pink hair makes me tingle;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fiddle Castro

Ash,

Saw one of your Cage Rage fights again last week, the one with the rear naked to finish - great work!!!

Ash,

Saw one of your Cage Rage fights again last week, the one with the rear naked to finish - great work!!!

Thanks very much I really enjoyed that fight, I got to pull off my ninja take down so happy days! :)
    Yea and i met the pink haired lady in Jan at Joe Rogan gig and got a pic too, so that was cool, the pink hair makes me tingle;););)

I didn't realise my hair had that effect on people :pac:

Hopefully you can both make it to Mayo for my fight! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You might be fighting more than an MMA fight in Mayo Ais, watch yourself ;)

Don't worry I'll have my minder on it! Lol :)

Advertisement