Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanley Reginald stove with back boiler.

• 13-09-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hey, we are after purchasing a Stanley Reginald stove with a 18kw back boiler. we plan to install it in an existing fire place. our house has 17 radiators and is 1600 sq ft approx.

we had a back boiler in the fireplace before and it did not heat water or radiators. the fire place is 25ft away from the cylinder.

we have had 3 plumbers out to price/advise on the job and all have advised on different methods of plumbing it.

we are now unsure as to whether the stove will be any good and heat the radiators or not and are considering just installing a room heating stove.

Any advice or past experiences much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

conbue wrote: »
    hey, we are after purchasing a Stanley Reginald stove with a 18kw back boiler. we plan to install it in an existing fire place. our house has 17 radiators and is 1600 sq ft approx.

we had a back boiler in the fireplace before and it did not heat water or radiators. the fire place is 25ft away from the cylinder.

we have had 3 plumbers out to price/advise on the job and all have advised on different methods of plumbing it.

we are now unsure as to whether the stove will be any good and heat the radiators or not and are considering just installing a room heating stove.

Hi:) If the stove boiler is sized to meet or ideally exceed the heat load then yes it will heat everything fine so long as it's plumbed correctly.

I presume the plumbers advised on the boiler output required to heat your house?
    They are plumbed with 1 inch pipes to the hot water cylinder. This is above the stove, so as to get gravity circulation. Ie no pump needed for the hot water side. Our cylinder is 25 feet away from the stove in the loft. It works perfectly. You then use the other 2 pipe outlets (tappings) on the stove to run to the rads. Usually in 3/4 or 1 inch pipe if a very large system. The rad circuit is pumped.

The stove must be installed to an open vented system, ie cold water tank feeding the rads.
    A heat leak rad should be installed on the system on large boiler stoves to manufacturers instructions.

The boiler on the reginald is 15kw. If the plumbers advised that your rad output total and hot water requirements were less than 15kw then this stove should heat everything:D

We have a medium villager Berkley integral boiler stove 7.6kw boiler heating our home. 5 rads and hot water. It works great and we have no oil or gas boiler. We spent 750 euro on coal over 7 months.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mick4439

My daughter fitted one heats house no problem but smoke that comes out the door when you go to refuel is a real put off ,i know 3 other people that have same problem all stanley will say that it was fitted wrong even though there was a stanley erin there for 20 yrs no problem ,so dont rush into buying one look into other makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bultaco

Hi Conbue,

Did you install the stanley Reginald ?

Just wondering if it uses a closed system i.e. without the tank in the attic.

Also were you happy with it ?

thanks in advance for any info you might have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ben9195

You will only get from any stove what you put in to it. Briquettes and turf on their own will not heat the room or rads very well but for best results use lots of coal. When using the former I switch off the rads in rooms that are not in use. I have no smoke problem when I open the door. Dry logs and coal mix is not not quite as good as coal or nuggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

my biggest piece of advise would be to make sure the 4 connections are used and cross piped.some installers like to cut corners/time and only use 2 connections and it will not function properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

gdavis wrote: »
    my biggest piece of advise would be to make sure the 4 connections are used and cross piped.some installers like to cut corners/time and only use 2 connections and it will not function properly

Could you explain what cross piped is as I'm going down this road and with such a big outlay i want to get it right first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

the flow and return from each circuit should be taken from opposite sides of stove.i.e the flow on the gravity side should be diagnal to the return and same with pumped circuit,as opposed to them piped one above the other.so the pumped flow should be above gravity return and gravity flow should be above pumped return if u get me

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

Thanks I kind of understand, my plumber is a mate so if I tell him this I'm sure he will understand, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ben9195

Your plumber will understand

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hollyandtobers

mick4439 wrote: »
    My daughter fitted one heats house no problem but smoke that comes out the door when you go to refuel is a real put off ,i know 3 other people that have same problem all stanley will say that it was fitted wrong even though there was a stanley erin there for 20 yrs no problem ,so dont rush into buying one look into other makes.
    This seems a problem with this stove it seems to be something to do with the baffle plate on the top. I decided to fit an olymberyl aidan enamel and its working brilliant and i saved myself 500e into the bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Lorraine1974

Hi, To highjack this post if I may :-)

We have recently installed the little sister of the Stanley reginald, the Stanley Lismore with back boiler. We have 3 zones in our heating system which also runs oil. zone 1 is down stairs, Zone 2 upstairs, Zone 3 water. Zone 1 can only run on oil. Zones 2 & 3 run on oil and from the stove, if we have the stove running we have to have Zones 2 & 3 switched off for oil. There is 2 large double rads, 1 medium single rad and 1 small double rad running on Zone 2 (oil & Stove). we have had a couple of teething problems with the chinmey re-draft and leaks as it's a new build but now that they have been rectified what we are finding is that after about 2 hours we hear the water boiling in the pipes coming from the stove and in the rads. The water would scauld you if you run the taps on and you can't put your hand on the rads. Not a bad compliant, great heat and lots of hot ware, but we are wondering if this is going to do damage to our system and how can we stop this from happening? We are not lighting big fires. Last night we ran the hot water tap to release some water and opened the door of the stove to let as must heat out into the room as possible and by doing this, this actually stopped the water bubbling in the pipes.

Initially we wanted the full house done from the stove and to be able to switch all rads between the oil and stove however that didn't happen between one thing and another which hindsight is a great thing we should have pushed more on this with our contractor.

In zone 1 (downstairs) we have 4 large double rads, 1 small double rad and a towel rail.

We are assuming that the reason why the water is boiling in the pipes/rads is because the hot water has no where to go i.e. we have too little rads on the system.

Would it be possible to add 1 large double rad and 1 towel rail currently on zone 1 - which is downstairs and can only be heated with oil onto Zone 2?

I got one suggestion but I don't know how valid or safe this suggestion is, which is to turn on zone 1 for oil but switch off the oil burner and because the valves were open on this zone the hot water should flow into Zone 1.

Any suggestions as to what we could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 richie413

Hi
    I have a stanley Reginald and I burn anthracite in it as it seems the best fuel to use but I was wondering how others use theirs and what they burn in it? I was also wondering how much coal/anthracite they put into the stove each time. I light it when I get home from work so in general I would want the stove lit for approx 4-5 hours in the evening. What is working best for other people and how are they getting the most from it, either if its for just burning at night for 4/5 hours like I do, over night or all day? Any advice most appreciated...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davelyn

Don't buy a Reginald The door is too big and it smokes like hell when it is opened to re-fuel Even bought a motorized cowl (at great expense) to create more draw but it still manages to smoke, it will destroy you house with a layer of soot. I'd get rid of it only it cost so much to buy in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

davelyn wrote: »
    Don't buy a Reginald The door is too big and it smokes like hell when it is opened to re-fuel Even bought a motorized cowl (at great expense) to create more draw but it still manages to smoke, it will destroy you house with a layer of soot. I'd get rid of it only it cost so much to buy in the first place.

I'd say the problems you're experiencing are far more likely from your chimney than the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jimboberoo

I'm in the process of putting a stove/back boiler into the house. My plumber advised the stanley reginald for the task in hand (hot water and 18 rads). After reading this thread I'm not so sure. Can anyone suggest a better option?

jimboberoo wrote: »
    I'm in the process of putting a stove/back boiler into the house. My plumber advised the stanley reginald for the task in hand (hot water and 18 rads). After reading this thread I'm not so sure. Can anyone suggest a better option?

18 Rads is a lot to heat in one go. But if that's what you want to do then the Inis Mór 30kw Stove, Stratford eb25he Stove and the Henley Druid 30 are all good options.

Is zoning the house an option? This would mean you could go for a smaller stove and heat living and sleeping quarters independently of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jimboberoo

18 Rads is a lot to heat in one go. But if that's what you want to do then the Inis Mór 30kw Stove, Stratford eb25he Stove and the Henley Druid 30 are all good options.

Is zoning the house an option? This would mean you could go for a smaller stove and heat living and sleeping quarters independently of each other.

Thanks for reply and sorry about delay. I've spent 2/3 weeks researching and going through suppliers online and in store and I think I have come to a conclusion.
    I agree with zoning and smaller stove. The stove I believe to be my best option is the Stratford EB16 inset. I'm putting my trust in one particular sales man with this but I'm struggling to get some feedback or reviews through websites/shops on this particular stove. I see you mentioned a larger Stratford model above. Are they a reliable brand and do they justify the larger price tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Hi, just wondering how you got on with installing your Reginald, I'm going through it now, we have 19 rads, is the reginald efficient at heating all your rads?

conbue wrote: »

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi:) If the stove boiler is sized to meet or ideally exceed the heat load then yes it will heat everything fine so long as it's plumbed correctly.

I presume the plumbers advised on the boiler output required to heat your house?
    They are plumbed with 1 inch pipes to the hot water cylinder. This is above the stove, so as to get gravity circulation. Ie no pump needed for the hot water side. Our cylinder is 25 feet away from the stove in the loft. It works perfectly. You then use the other 2 pipe outlets (tappings) on the stove to run to the rads. Usually in 3/4 or 1 inch pipe if a very large system. The rad circuit is pumped.

The stove must be installed to an open vented system, ie cold water tank feeding the rads.
    A heat leak rad should be installed on the system on large boiler stoves to manufacturers instructions.

The boiler on the reginald is 15kw. If the plumbers advised that your rad output total and hot water requirements were less than 15kw then this stove should heat everything:D

We have a medium villager Berkley integral boiler stove 7.6kw boiler heating our home. 5 rads and hot water. It works great and we have no oil or gas boiler. We spent 750 euro on coal over 7 months.

Stove Fan:)

Hi there

I want to purchase a Reginald, it looks great but we have 19 rads in total, would be calling on the stove at times to heat 16, would it do ok? I know some might not be the warmest but theres no need for them all to be piping hot... Any advice is appreciated. Have been told to get a 21kw stove but I don't want to be shovelling coal on it all the time either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

In general stoves are designed to be specific.
    If you go ahead and purchase a Reginald to heat 16 of your 19 rads then you are buying a product which is not designed to do that.
    There is a line of thinking like yours which is understandable but not advisable.
    If you have been advised your needs require 21kw then you need 21kw.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sanchez, the house will be zoned so the Reginald would only need to heat downstairs which has 8 rads, I just wondered if we ever called on it to heat all the rads how would it perform... The plumber told us if we want the stove to heat all the rads in the house go with a 21kw, at the moment I can't imagine us wanting to heat the entire house all at once, doesn't seem very efficient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

I would agree,zoning is the way to go.
    However then the Reginald is then too big for 8 rads.
    The more accurate you are to your needs the more efficent.

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    I would agree,zoning is the way to go.
    However then the Reginald is then too big for 8 rads.
    The more accurate you are to your needs the more efficent.

If I left the sitting room rads on that would be 10, most of the rads are 1200 doubles??

With regard zoning, can we allow the stove to heat downstairs first then switch stove to heat upstairs before we go to bed or would it need to be zoned for stove heating downstairs, oil heating upstairs?

If I left the sitting room rads on that would be 10, most of the rads are 1200 doubles??

With regard zoning, can we allow the stove to heat downstairs first then switch stove to heat upstairs before we go to bed or would it need to be zoned for stove heating downstairs, oil heating upstairs?

For the benefit of counting Rads for matching with a stove, you count a four foot single panel rad as 1. If you have a double, count that as 2 rads.

So based on this, how many rads have you to heat in total and on one zone?

Ok in one zone I have.
    4 x 1200 doubles
    1 x 1400 double
    4 x 800 doubles
    2 x 1200 singles

2 of those 1200 doubles are in the sitting room where the stove will be, will most likely have these turned off when the stove is on

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

I replaced a Stanley Reginald with a Pierce 18 late 2013, I have 16 above standard rads which I was told was equal to 22 standard I can heat the complete house on timber only but I use both coal and timber, I would definitely recommend 1, may house is a bungalow so I don't know if it would heat the same for a 2 story

Mine is a dormer... did you not like the Reginald or was it not sufficient enough to heat all the rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 diydude

just some info for therealmccoy I fitted a strattford inset eb16 and am a bit disappointed The stove looks great but it does not hest the room or rads as said on the tin. ok I only start the fire when I come in from work at six and probably dont put down a hugh fire couple of logs with coal and turf in between get a nice blaze and keep it topped up modestly
    the fire box seems a bit deep so maybe u need to pack it to get heat
    goin to change it for a Stanley armore but cant find any reviews
    any advice would be appreciated
    the

just some info for therealmccoy I fitted a strattford inset eb16 and am a bit disappointed The stove looks great but it does not hest the room or rads as said on the tin. ok I only start the fire when I come in from work at six and probably dont put down a hugh fire couple of logs with coal and turf in between get a nice blaze and keep it topped up modestly
    the

• Advertisement

the

Advertisement