Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superleague 2012 - any interest?

• 20-01-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

This board seems to have gone mighty quiet over the past few months:( .

I almost feel guilty posting on here:o

Would there be anyone interested in discussing the up-coming new SL season?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    This board seems to have gone mighty quiet over the past few months:( .

I almost feel guilty posting on here:o

Would there be anyone interested in discussing the up-coming new SL season?

Does often feel like you are talking to yourself here, but I use it as therapy!!!

Unfortunately Sky Sports is no more in my house, and therefore all my Super League coverage is also no more. Choices for streams are usually fairly crap.

Still looking forward to it though, great to see the back of Harlequins and the rebirth of the Broncos, shame they have to have another season at the Stoop which has done them no favours at all. Its going to be the same faces at the bottom again, and, unfortunately, if no one gets docked points Broncos could well finish bottom this year, but forever live in hope!

I think Sky lost interest a bit in it themselves last year, the Kick and Clap drew all their attention and advertising, RL was the runner up prize for them, maybe this year will be different. Far and away a superior game to watch.

Actually looking to 2013 more, partly because Northampton join the fray in Championship 1 but the Broncos will get to go to a new stadium and really start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

I have big issues with Sky SL coverage.

It needs a complete, radical make-over, it certainly is not doing the promotion of the game any favours. The Eddie and Stevo duet is almost reminiscent of Eddie Waring and the BBC's coverage of the sport, cliched and patronising.

Mindst, like all Wakey fans I now have a particular vendetta against Hemmings who spent the season predicting the certain demise of the club from SL:mad:

Unfortunately I can't see any team challenging the big 4 of Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Wires. Hull and the Giants might throw a few shapes but will come up short. I think if I had to put money on a dark horse for the top 4 it would have to be the Dragons, they could surprise a lot.

The tussle for the final 8th play-off place could be the interesting with a number of teams all around the same calibre. I sincerely hope the Bronco's (and Trinity:D) are battling for that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I think it will be between Saints, Wigan and the Wolves for the top spot this season.
    Purely from a Leeds point of view we haven't strengthened enough for my liking and still have too many players at the wrong end of their career. Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting a relegation dog fight or anything. The signing of Griffin will strengthen us up front though and might give a better platform for the backs to work with. Expect big things from Hall this year and Smith with a full pre-season under his belt will be an interesting one. Jones-Bishop will be another year wiser too so am happy with the way the backs are shaping up but will McGuire and Burrow be able for it?

Anyone think the new interchange rule will make a big difference? I can see packs getting smaller over time as the bigger players will struggle with less rest.

I think Leeds have too much strength in depth with some excellent young players coming through not to be close to the top of league.

If there was one of the big 4 that might be shaky I think it would be Wigan.

Everyone is making the assumption that the new interchange rules will see the demise of the big, impact prop. I am not so sure - strength and power is always going to have a place in the game. Look back before the time of multiple substitutions.

I think the natural selection process will come in to play where only the fit survive. The big props will be expected to longer stints but I think a lot will be capable of that given the right preparation and coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

As I said in the other thread being from Widnes I'm very excited about this year, but really more excited about the following years now we are back in Super League.

• Advertisement

Thought the televising of the Widnes - Wakefield game was an excellent way to start the season.

Widnes started like a house on fire, great enthusiasm and commitment. Given that Widnes were without Watts, Briscoe, Davies and Flynn with Phelps and Kite still to arrive I can see them causing an upset or two. They certainly wont be anybody's whipping boys.

Was surprised how well the completely new Wakey team gelled for the first game of the season - hats off to Agar for that. I think Wakey could really be a surprise package (though I am slightly biased:D) this season, they have signed some quality players and have good squad depth.

Hope Salford - Cas can keep up the standard

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Thought the televising of the Widnes - Wakefield game was an excellent way to start the season.

Widnes started like a house on fire, great enthusiasm and commitment. Given that Widnes were without Watts, Briscoe, Davies and Flynn with Phelps and Kite still to arrive I can see them causing an upset or two. They certainly wont be anybody's whipping boys.

Was surprised how well the completely new Wakey team gelled for the first game of the season - hats off to Agar for that. I think Wakey could really be a surprise package (though I am slightly biased:D) this season, they have signed some quality players and have good squad depth.

Hope Salford - Cas can keep up the standard

Enjoyed the game alright. Only realised that Widnes were playing the season on a new astro pitch. Surface looked great but there seemed to be a large number of bloody elbows going around. Not sure if RL is suitable for astro.

Yeah it was a good game and I was surprised how well Wakefield played. Even when Widnes were on top on the first half it always seemed Wakey were the more dangerous team with the ball. How many tackles did we have on the Wakey line without scoring? I think that's going to be Widnes' problem without Watts there's not a lot of creativity and you can only go so far with enthusiasm. But there were 4 or 5 players missing that would be in the strongest starting team. I think the key for this year is to keep the publics interest and keep the gates up so we can kick on from here. 8100 was a good first gate and there seemed to be a good few from Wakey.

The pitch seems have caused some talking points and Richie Mathers has been very critical on twitter.

Richie Mathers appeared to suffer the worst - his knees and elbows looked quite nasty. The problem with those deep grazes is that they can easily become infected.

I will reserve judgement on the ipitch, think it makes for a fast, flowing game. The downside appears to be that players have a problem with their footing when trying change direction quickly. Widnes may well be able to learn how to use this to their advantage.

Broncos absolutely hammered against the Wolves, wasn't expecting to win, but after putting up a decent showing last week, thought they might hold them to 12. Still, couple of the better teams played now. Onto the next one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

watched the first half of salford v saints, that new stadium looks great, well overdue too

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Broncos absolutely hammered against the Wolves, wasn't expecting to win, but after putting up a decent showing last week, thought they might hold them to 12. Still, couple of the better teams played now. Onto the next one!

Think the Wolves are going to be doing the same to a lot of teams this season, think there is a good chance that might be the dominant team this season, though Catalan could well be the seasons surprise package and be challenging all the way.

Hope the Broncos kick on against Hull, the extra game might work in your favour.

Excellent, gritty performance by the Leeds Rhinos to overcome Manly.

Okay, so the Sea Eagles were at a big disadvantage - pre-season game, away team status, long way from home, etc., none-the-less Leeds showed tremendous spirit and resilience to withstand the second-half Manly onslaught.

A totally different class of performance than the one they put in against Wigan last week.

Worthy World Club Challenge winners.

I have decided the way forward for the Broncos is to play 12 every week to make it fairer. Didn't start playing until it was far too late, yet again. Carrying on from end of last years form, tough times continue.

Dreadful result and performance again from Widnes. With injuries and self inflicted suspensions the season seems to be falling apart already. Any good vibes from the start of the season have definately gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

:eek: Catalans last play was AMAZING and they kicked the conversion for the win!

:eek: Catalans last play was AMAZING and they kicked the conversion for the win!

In over 40 years of watching RL I can't remember a final play that was as dramatic as that one! Nearly every single Catalan player touched the ball.

The Saints must be gutted to lose like that.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Yeah it's probably the craziest I've seen in about 10-12 years of watching. Phil Clarke was right tho, it's usually the Saints that are doing that to other teams. Forget the final play for a second, that was a fantastic 2nd half display, great win.

OK back to that play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Craig Dowling

saints went to sleep
    disgusting defence in the second half
    not good enough

Another week, another heavyish defeat for the Broncos. The early part of the season is traditionally where they pick up most points, so it doesn't bode well.

Taking into account the end of last season, it's an atrocious run. Wooden spoon looking nailed on at this early stage, but things may turn so won't get too despondent just yet!

• Advertisement

Another week, another heavyish defeat for the Broncos. The early part of the season is traditionally where they pick up most points, so it doesn't bode well.

Taking into account the end of last season, it's an atrocious run. Wooden spoon looking nailed on at this early stage, but things may turn so won't get too despondent just yet!

Really don't think the Bronco's will get the wooden spoon, afraid the Vikings are going to deprive you of that.

Bronco's, Wakey, Cas and Salford might pick up a few splinters from it though :(

Well Salford absolutely battered the Broncos, new coach needed, they have reverted to type by signing a load of Aussies coming to the end of their career. When they were a predominantly young, english team you could forgive a lot of the crap, but the results are no better now and all the youth development work seems for nought.

Great weekend for the clubs who were on nil points.. Broncos had a great win against Can, but what a result, the Vikings beating Wigan by a point. Fantastic fight back.

Great weekend for the clubs who were on nil points.. Broncos had a great win against Can, but what a result, the Vikings beating Wigan by a point. Fantastic fight back.

Really thought Broncos would beat Cas but never imagined they would turn them over by so much;)

But Vikings beating Wigan:eek::eek::eek: Wow, now that really is a shock one.

I'm obviously chuffed with the Vikings win, but a lot of talk about Shaun Wane and the team that he selected. Even some Wigan fans saying that he disrespected Widnes. I really didn't see this one coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

Can someone please explain why Rugby League does not get the level of coverage as Union. RL is the most exciting sport on TV bar none. I watched the England Ireland game last week but fell asleep of boredom. The match tonight was unbelievable entertainment for 80 minutes and as an exiled Warringtonian living in Ireland I can say well done to both teams and like a great champion boxer, Wigan lost nothing in defeat. Brilliant match and up the Wires!!!

Good win for Widnes, Broncos need to get themselves a new coach, Powell hasn't got it, and have a squad full of ageing Aussies again.

Good win for Widnes, Broncos need to get themselves a new coach, Powell hasn't got it, and have a squad full of ageing Aussies again.

I don't think it's going to get any easier next week either;)

Wakey seem to be ruuning into some good form and are full of confidence after out-playing the dragons.

Some strange results this week - things are a little more unpredictable - which is great for competition - long may it continue :cool:

So the SL is stumbling into another crisis with the Bradford Bulls the next in line of an ever increasing number of clubs going into financial meltdown.

The RFL have to stop put the sticking plaster of the fatally wounded and closely exam what is going wrong.

Clubs were suppose to submit detailed financial business plans in their franchise applications:rolleyes: Were some not telling the whole truth or was someone not looking properly?

The salary cap is clearly not working in its current form and urgently needs addressing.

Whether the bumbling, incompetent and inconsistent (I am couching my words carefully) RFL can retrieve the credibility of the game is looking very doubtful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The fact that this warning is coming so late would make one wonder if perhaps issues had been hidden...

Advertisement