Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confrontation with farmer bout permission

• 15-04-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

well lads here is a good one for yous i got permision to shoot foxs from a local farmer and his exact words were"shoot away foxs an all" thats waht i was told so i shot one or two foxs then i nothiced nice few bunnies as well so i shot few of them as well and now yesterday evening there was a big CONFRONTATION out in the middle of the field he said i only want foxs shot not rabbits, i said sure the rabbits are going mad on your land theyve eaten away your fields and your ditches as well, and he said i dont care ive told you what i wanted shot end of storey,:mad:
    the moral of the storey make sure yous ask exactly what you can and cant be shot otherwise might be a lot of shouting in the middle of the field :eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

You should have told him to F##k off and shoot his own Foxe's only joking I would say that was fun both you standing in the middle of a field and you getting the hand slapped ah well at least you can still keep shooting and you both did not fall out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, I'd have told him to find someone else to shoot his foxes if he got uppity, personally. I consider that a favour to farmers for the privilege of shooting things to eat off their land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Had the same sort of words with a farmer a few years ago . He gave me the free run of the farm to shoot. I shot over 20 foxes in 2 months then crops were sowing i shot pigeons and rabbits all going well. Till the pheasant season came around i arrived in at 11 am got the labs out and headed into a beet field i shot 2 cocks in a short space of time when i heard shouting from the lane went back and well to put it mildly he lost the run of him self. He ask wtf i was doing shooting birds i said you gave me the run of the farm to shoot what i liked with that he said the pheasants were for a few of his friends from dublin and to leave them alone and he did not want me on his land till lambing season for foxes . I bit my lower jaw and replyed when your friends come to shoot the birds get them to shoot your foxes and rabbits and pigeons all hours of the night he stopped give out and cooled down i then told him i enjoyed doing my bit on the vermin but i do like shooting pheasants . We came up with a plan i could shoot during the week for birds and leave the weekends for his buddys it still works there has to be give and take on both sides . I still shoot his vermin and hunt pheasants on his land so it can work out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

if his mates in dublin cared about the pheasants so much why didnt they bust their balls doing all the necessary rounds??they should have been grateful you were on the scene to save them the future problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

steyrman2 wrote: »
    Had the same sort of words with a farmer a few years ago . He gave me the free run of the farm to shoot. I shot over 20 foxes in 2 months then crops were sowing i shot pigeons and rabbits all going well. Till the pheasant season came around i arrived in at 11 am got the labs out and headed into a beet field i shot 2 cocks in a short space of time when i heard shouting from the lane went back and well to put it mildly he lost the run of him self. He ask wtf i was doing shooting birds i said you gave me the run of the farm to shoot what i liked with that he said the pheasants were for a few of his friends from dublin and to leave them alone and he did not want me on his land till lambing season for foxes . I bit my lower jaw and replyed when your friends come to shoot the birds get them to shoot your foxes and rabbits and pigeons all hours of the night he stopped give out and cooled down i then told him i enjoyed doing my bit on the vermin but i do like shooting pheasants . We came up with a plan i could shoot during the week for birds and leave the weekends for his buddys it still works there has to be give and take on both sides . I still shoot his vermin and hunt pheasants on his land so it can work out

was in a feild shooting pigeons when an italian lad came down and ran us with FFF's say that he had give tihe farmer 500 euro to shoot pigeons .
    my friend went to the farmer and was told not to be shooting them that he had made a deal with this guy .

my friend who has shot this land for 8 years reply calmly that grand but i hope he shoots it next year and the year after cause i wont b . farmer wasnt long pulling in the horns , landed with a case of elay pigeon's a week later.

it the only way to sort them .they think there doing you a favour shooting pigeons , rabbits, deers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

TriggerPL wrote: »
    it the only way to sort them .they think there doing you a favour shooting pigeons , rabbits, deers etc

So you're saying that theyre not doing us a favour by giving us permission to shoot pigeons, rabbit, deer etc??? Tune in lad in all fairness now.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

A friend of mine who took over his family farm told me I could shoot his land. No problems until I was crossing the land with him and I shot a hare. He was not happy at all. Something to do with folkllore but he told me I was not to shoot hares on his land again. That was grand by me, just wish we had gone through the species list in the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

A couple of years ago a farmer stopped us shooting woodcock/snipe on his ground.
    2 nights ago he lost a lamb to a fox - he needs to find someone to shoot them now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

E. Fudd wrote: »
    So you're saying that theyre not doing us a favour by giving us permission to shoot pigeons, rabbit, deer etc??? Tune in lad in all fairness now.

I'm with E.Fudd on this one. Farmer's own the land so they are the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Indeed they are.However declaring what can and cant be shot first off would be a fierce help,and if you dont know as a shooter or the farmer doesnt say,ask!
    Bit of commonsense on both parties part goes a long way.:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

well lads it seems we all have been down this same road lads jaysus it just goes to show you nearly want to sit down with the boys nowadays and see what you can and can not shoot its gone unreal,
    but as mr steyrman has said it bite your bottom lip and talk to the farmer as shouting and roaring and falling out wont get you very far in our game any way
    thanks again lads for all the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I got permission on pigeon shooting two years ago he brought me round his place shoot everything he said ,to which i replied what cant i shoot
    turns out everything meant pigeons and foxes nothing else!
    Turns out common sense aint that common;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

steyrman2 wrote: »

If I had done that kinda vermin work for a farmer, and he then had the cheek to say to me the birds were for his friends, I would have told him to **** right off with himself.

I shoot a lot of rabbits for a local lad who has a good bit of tillage ground, very nice guy who gives me a voucher for the gun shop every christmas. I can shoot all matters of game on his land which includes deer on his father-in-laws place. I got a call from him one day saying his neighbour was having trouble on some reseeded ground with bunnies.

So I said I'd give a shout over to meet him, he took me off in his jeep and showed me around the place. We went to an outside farm of his which had some very nice pieces of cover, ideal for a fox. I mentioned this to him and he went mick, said to leave the foxes alone because he's involved in the local hunt. So I just said to him "well if thats the case go away and get someone else to shoot your rabbits, you can't have it every way lad".. Haven't been back there since! I still get on great with the tillage man.. no hard feelings like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

E. Fudd wrote: »
    TriggerPL wrote: »

Hold on now yes it great that we get permissions , but we don't need to hunt ! We want to hunt ! Farmers need us in some areas more so , hunters keep there fences from being broken or lands from being ruined , crops from being ate and lamb from being taken !

Coming from farming back round and having worked with farmers on a daily basis . There never happy . You think were not doing them a favour by saving there lambs or stopping hundreds of euro of fencing being damaged .

Better yet have you seen the damage rabbit or deer do to farms , I have .

So yes permission is great . But we should also get the respect we deserve for the late nights and early morning we put in hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Shoot2kill wrote: »

So I said I'd give a shout over to meet him, he took me off in his jeep and showed me around the place. We went to an outside farm of his which had some very nice pieces of cover, ideal for a fox. I mentioned this to him and he went mick, said to leave the foxes alone because he's involved in the local hunt. So I just said to him "well if thats the case go away and get someone else to shoot your rabbits, you can't have it every way lad".. Haven't been back there since! I still get on great with the tillage man.. no hard feelings like!

You left just over a fox :rolleyes: He needs something to chase in his chosen sport too. Plus the hunt prob only passes through his land one day a year, so their chances of getting the fox would be slim so he leaves the fox there to control the rabbits too. Not much to ask from him, no need to shoot yourself in the foot and loose a permission.

Good few tillage farmers I shoot for have tillage and strictly no fox shooting as the foxes control rabbit population. Thats common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 graham h

at the end of the day its the famers land and they have the right 2 say what gos

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭irish setter

graham h wrote: »
    at the end of the day its the famers land and they have the right 2 say what gos

at the end of the day that land will be there long after the farmer is dead and gone. having said that there are genuine reasons a farmer might not like certain people on his land. but where everything is above board and your not going to take the p*ss no farmer should have the right to refuse

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

........... no farmer should have the right to refuse
    Of course the farmer/landowner should, and DOES have the right to refuse. They are doing you a favour by letting you shoot their land. So whether you are given instructions to limit your shooting to a particular quarry or not, you should obey and keep the permission.

If it's something you are not willing to do then simply walk away from the permission. No one is forcing anyone, and while some may feel annoyed that they can shoot one species, and not another, i would sooner have some vermin shooting if i could not shoot deer (just an example) rather than loose the permission all together.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

at the end of the day that land will be there long after the farmer is dead and gone. having said that there are genuine reasons a farmer might not like certain people on his land. but where everything is above board and your not going to take the p*ss no farmer should have the right to refuse
    You need to grow up lad. The farmer should have no right to refuse who shoots the land he has bought or worked in the family name for years and gives you free shooting rights on??? Yes you are doing him a favour, but he's doing you a bloody big one too:mad: it's your ball and you're going home!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I have one farmer beside me who is a good mate of mine, and lets me shoot his land all the time. I have a spot with countless snipe, a good few woodcock,plenty of foxes and a few pheasant. The only conditions he has are, shoot as many rabbits and crows as I can, as he has loads of veg planted, and, no shooting hares as he just happens to like them. The land is ten minutes walk from my front door and he's a nice guy. You can't get better than that, so I won't be whingeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Respect the wishes of the land owners lads.

I shoot vermin on my brother-in-laws farm land a couple of times a year - Mainly Greyback crows due to lamb kills.

I saw a lovely greyback ~100 meters away still as a rock and didn't take the shot. It was a few meters on the wrong side of the fence.

Their land... Their rules...

well i respect my permissions and the famers wishes if not i wud not have land 2 hunt on and thats the way it is irish setter i dont know about u but a bit of respect gos a long way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Funnily enough since this thread started, I was asked to shoot rabbits by a neighbour who is well known as being anti shooting, but since the rabbits are eating all his grass his priorities have shifted. Because of the experiences of some if the posters, I just confirmed with him it was only rabbits I'm to shoot, and he said rabbits only, no foxes, they don't do him any harm and he likes to see them around his place. So I said that's fine, and thanks for letting me shoot the rabbits.
    Thanks to browning 12 bore for starting the thread, because it saved me a bit of potential aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Of course they should have the right to refuse it's their land . How would you like it if I wandered all over your garden shooting. In saying that if they say you can shoot . Then it's you should be able to shoot everything

This is like a chapter from Ripleys believe it or not!

After reading declan1980's post I just remembered a neighbour of mine gave me permission to do game shooting on his land last year. Went up there a few days rough shooting, then come spring went up there to shoot magpies and grey crowd- then he says "ah lads don't be at the magpies or grey crows I don't mind them"
    I stated that magpies and crows could possibly attack your calfs and there are a number of other farmers that want them controlled in the area.
    He still said he likes them. So we honoured his wishes even if it's a weird situation. Still go onto his land rough shooting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

would have pretty much said what the farmer says goes im afraid. stupid as he may have been he's boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'm reading this thread with some incredulity on both sides.
    :DFrom somone suggesting that a farmer shouldnt be able to refuse shooters on his private property.To farmers wanting to keep vermin alive on their lands.
    Lads it's simple....ASK when you get the permission what you can and cant shoot!Dont assume that a vauge "shure work away.." is good enough.A simple "is there anythig you dont want shot?" could save you a load of bother down the line.

Shooting and farming is one hand washing the other.We cant hunt without the landowners/farmers permission,and in return they dont get their pests controlled [cheaply for them] if we dont shoot them.

We are still proably unique in Europe that we still can get shooting grounds for free and on an oral contract,a handshake and possibly a box of sweets at Xmas for the farmers family.Lets not fK that up for want of asking a extra question and ruining it for ourselves and everyone else.After all we are supposedly ambassadors for our sport every time we go afield.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

Hunter21 wrote: »
    You left just over a fox :rolleyes: He needs something to chase in his chosen sport too. Plus the hunt prob only passes through his land one day a year, so their chances of getting the fox would be slim so he leaves the fox there to control the rabbits too. Not much to ask from him, no need to shoot yourself in the foot and loose a permission.

Good few tillage farmers I shoot for have tillage and strictly no fox shooting as the foxes control rabbit population. Thats common sense

If the foxes controlled the rabbit population then they wouldn't be ringing me to come back and shoot them, what we would lamp in a night the fox wouldn't kill in a year. All I'm saying is I pay a lot more attention to the farmers who give me permission to shoot whatever I want on there land, I mean fairs fair at the end of the day, if I'm keeping there place from getting ruined by bunnies then the least he can do is say you can chance that bit of cover for a fox if you want.

It's not like I'm going to be hunting it twice a week, more like twice a year! I'm lucky enough to be in a job where I meet a lot of farmers so permissions aren't really a problem but it works both ways, if a farmer says he/she is having a problem with foxes and I do a bit of foxing for them then in the same turn I'd expect to be able to shoot a few birds when the time comes. Simples!!

@ shoot2kill as Grizzly said above farming and hunting go hand in hand and we're lucky to have free shooting still. At the end of the day a beggar cant be a chooser.

If your a carpenter doing jobs in a house you don't leave the job because the owner said you can't smoke indoors. There property their rules as simple as.

• Advertisement

i have 2 permissions beside each other 1 famer told not 2 hunt the pheasants whit my hawks so i respect his wishes and go next door and hunt them lol
    ps the samer famer lets my brother and stepfather shoot the pheasants on his land witch i tought was a bit odd but there u go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement