Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia Starting problem!

• 04-05-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Have been having a problem with my Skoda Octavia Ambiente 2003.
    When i turn the key in the ignition, all the lights come on, redio works etc...BUT the engine won't!
    I hear a loud click from the engine and no activity otherwise. i spoke to a mechanic about it and he reckons its the solenoid!! As he showed me how to temporarily get it working. Tapping it with a hammer when it wont start. This worked for a while. Not anymore. Brought it back to the garage(also with another problem...cough i put too much oil into the engine) and the mechanic said he could find no fault. He cleaned out the solenoid as he thought it might getting stuck!
    I got the car back today and nothing, even after tapping with a hammer. Just clicking all no engine activity!

Has anybody encountered this problem before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A low battery will do this too as its not good enough to power the solenoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

i had a mechanic check the battery he said it was fine! I also hooked the girlfriends battery up to charge it this evening as i am getting sick with it(have to work in the morning and no transport). Still no joy!
    Just the same, lights come on in the dash....and a click as i start it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

A problem with an octavia???? Impossible!!!

Seriously, could also be the starter motor if it's making a clicking noise. How does it run once it starts?

A problem with an octavia???? Impossible!!!

Seriously, could also be the starter motor if it's making a clicking noise. How does it run once it starts?

ONCE it starts its great, no bother on it. Could be the starter motor!
    Im hoping its the battery is too weak cause i cant wait a week for the shoddy mechanic to get a new starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd save myself all this hassle and drop it in to a good auto electrician. There are a few things it might be - an expert will be able to sort it out straight away. If you're in Dublin try Hamiltons, off Camden St. A push start'll get you there.;)

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd save myself all this hassle and drop it in to a good auto electrician. There are a few things it might be - an expert will be able to sort it out straight away. If you're in Dublin try Hamiltons, off Camden St. A push start'll get you there.;)

Id be doing a heap of pushing to start this car! Dont yet know if its the battery!
    MIght just change mechanic as the dealers place is sixty km from where i live!
    ARRRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

try rocking in the seat as you turn the key to start the car. sounds weird but it worked for a while for me. in the end my problem was a broken wire going to the starter. only discovered it when i was talking off the starter to get it reconditioned!!

my car is a mk1 seat leon which would be much the same as the octavia

Turned out the solenoid keeps getting stuck! Hope this is it this time.
    Don't know which is dirtier..the solenoid or the mechanic! Ha HA ..........ha

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Could also be one of the coil packs.

Advertisement