Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling over floor tiles

• 20-02-2009 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Is this advisable or would it be preferable to lift the existing tiles first?

Its in a kitchen/diner so there is a big enough area with a lot of tiles and it could add 2 days extra labor to the job. Will the adhesive stick to the existing tiles or would you need to score/scratch them all first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

I had new tiles laid over existing tiles in my kitchen / dining room last september. They applied a red primer first which had grit in it to provide a key. Got stepped thresholds made for the doors - no problems so far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bocha

They applied a red primer first which had grit in it to provide a key.

was that a homemade mix or a product?

it was a product as far as I can remember - name escapes me..... any decent tile suppler should be able to give you the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had new tiles laid over existing tiles in my kitchen / dining room last september. They applied a red primer first which had grit in it to provide a key. Got stepped thresholds made for the doors - no problems so far anyway.

Thanks JohnnyBingo, thats a good idea in case the tiles don't come up easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

it is possible using the correct adhesive and the likes,

However, it will cause you trouble wherever you come to a door,

and then what are you going to do the next time you want to change tiles??

Rip them up and do it right.

• Advertisement

forgot to mention Lex you will probably need to undercut the bottom of the doors.

Decent point ctrl...I knew I wouldnt be going at it again - don't intend being in the house longer than 5 years. If I was staying put longterm, I would have considered lifting the original tiles like you say. But with 3 kids (oldest is 3) the noise and dust etc just didnt appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

i got tiles in my house (downstairs) in august and there begining to fade already, i want to rip them up and put more expensive ones down but kitchen units are lying on them and the sink and toilet in the dowstairs bathroom are on them too, is this a problem for a tiler or what would be the best course of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DMCD25

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Is this advisable or would it be preferable to lift the existing tiles first?

Its in a kitchen/diner so there is a big enough area with a lot of tiles and it could add 2 days extra labor to the job. Will the adhesive stick to the existing tiles or would you need to score/scratch them all first?

Make sure the tiles that are already in your kitchen are well stuck down.
    Flexible adhesive is required when tiling over tile.
    It is 30-35 euro per 20kg bag.
    But in the long run it is better to take the tiles up and put leveling compound down and then the rapid set adhesive 20kg bag would only cost you about 20 quid a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

DMCD25 wrote: »
    Make sure the tiles that are already in your kitchen are well stuck down.
    Flexible adhesive is required when tiling over tile.
    It is 30-35 euro per 20kg bag.
    But in the long run it is better to take the tiles up and put leveling compound down and then the rapid set adhesive 20kg bag would only cost you about 20 quid a bag.

Well the leveling compound can be expensive aswell, but taking up the old tiles is the best option. It might not be a big job taking up the old one depending on how they were put down.
    But if your tiling over the old ones pci make stuff called primer 303, or just ask in the shop.

Advertisement