Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Snipdog wrote: »
    Ya I think you're right and keep telling myself the chances of failing are realistically nil. Mine was done in Limerick Family Planning and the doc was an absolute gent and very professional but I still get a little concerned when she starts lookin at the calendar with a worried face!! We've 2 lovely kids I wouldn't give up for the world but I like the way life is now and wouldn't really want to go back to nappies and sleepless nights

The Internet can be as much of a hindrance as a help, when trying to get reliable info about vasectomy. I have read lots of rubbish about Post-Vasectomy-Pain-Syndrome, the vas deferens spontaneously rejoining, "successful" reversal operations etc. The way I think about it is, imagine getting a bicycle tube, cutting it and heat-sealing one of the cut ends of the tube. Now, try to reverse this destruction and recreate a bicycle tube that can hold air. Not very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

hadepsx wrote: »
    can it be done on medical card

Sorry to dredge up an old(ish) thread but this is something my husband's just getting ready to do and I thought I'd answer this question for good.

After waiting over a year on the public system (and it'll be at least another year before my husband would have been seen) we started looking at private options. By contacting one surgery we found that there is a local system whereby if our GP sent in the referral, they'd check our medical card details & then request the vasectomy through a private clinic in the North. I have absolutely no idea how this cross-border system works but the initial consult/operation/follow up are completely covered under our medical card.

Hubby met w/ the urologist yesterday & will have the op in April sometime. He was suggested to take a full week off work (which was a big surprise to us both) and the op will be under general. The surgeon said he just prefers it this way & my husband said he was more comfortable with that as well.

As far as reversals go, the surgeon said the likelyhood of sucess decreases about 10% per year, but that's because the body's antibodies start fighting the sperm after they've been absent from the system. Just as well we're done with babies so reversal's not something we'd want.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

So been more or less told it tome to get the job done after number 4.
    Is there other things out there yet or they still working on the male pill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

paddymc1 wrote: »
    So been more or less told it tome to get the job done after number 4.
    Is there other things out there yet or they still working on the male pill?

You're talking about a vasectomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

tbh wrote: »
    You're talking about a vasectomy.

My bad, now moved to correct thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭covey09

Had it done last Thursday, most painful part want the first injections, but it was fine, took about 40 min. Bit of soreness but was very mild. Have to wait 16 wk before they verify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Hi I am going into get a vasectomy on wednesday. I am starting to brick it now. I have to be in Kilkenny hospital at 8.30am and not collected till 1.30pm. I thought this was a 20 minute job with maybe an hour waiting after. Also If anyone had it done I am just wondering was it sore and to share any tips on recovery. By the way if anyone is getting this done don't watch the video of it being done like I did. It's on a doctor from kildare website. I won't post links for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

jayo2004 wrote: »
    Hi I am going into get a vasectomy on wednesday. I am starting to brick it now. I have to be in Kilkenny hospital at 8.30am and not collected till 1.30pm. I thought this was a 20 minute job with maybe an hour waiting after. Also If anyone had it done I am just wondering was it sore and to share any tips on recovery. By the way if anyone is getting this done don't watch the video of it being done like I did. It's on a doctor from kildare website. I won't post links for obvious reasons.
    Had it done last year.

People really blow it out of a proportion. In my experience it was slightly uncomfortable for a day or so but no need for painkillers.

You will be grand, in relation to the time, I would say that is policey because of use of a local anaesthetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

so howd it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry to bump this, situation is with me I'm in LTR, dont want kids, herself doesn't either but she isn't 100% behind me getting a vasectomy yet.
    I do think I make progress when I mentoin it, I dont talk about it every day I would only bring it up (haha) once in a while - she hasn;t outright said no, its more like we'll see.

Whats' the best way to convince her? I think the fact that its not invasive like getting her tubes tied is a plus. (Also she's not "baby crazy" thank f**k)
    Any advice would be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Here is my experience of it.
    I was very nervous going down. Arrived at Kilkenny hospital and within half an hour was in gown ready for surgery. Nurses were very friendly but if I'm honest, if i was going to get it done again I would go private. I was waiting well over a year and it cost €70. Back to the surgery. Everyone says that their testicles are very sensitive but even the doctors were laughing at me. I was jumping just by him looking to see where he was going to give injection he even said I haven't done anything yet. I have to say that the injection was like a full force kick in the balls but after that you don't feel a thing. He Gave me injection in the right testical and after 10 mins was starting on the left one. I had to tell him to stop cause I could feel everything. He gave me another injection in left testical and I couldn't feel a thing after that. In my case the recovery was far from slight discomfort. My balls were the size of 2 tennis balls. If anyone is getting it done book a week off work just in case. You really have to rest after it. They gave me a jock strap to wear and it does help. It took me a full month to get rid of all discomfort. I heard some guys comparing it to the dentist. it just happened I had a wisdom tooth removed about 3 weeks after vasectomy and I have to say vasectomy was a lot worse. It is no comparison. Bottom line everyone is different and I hope I don't turn anyone off getting it done. My case was probably worse case scenario and even at that I would get it done again and I wouldnt be as nervous either.

Here is my experience of it.
    I was very nervous going down. Arrived at Kilkenny hospital and within half an hour was in gown ready for surgery. Nurses were very friendly but if I'm honest, if i was going to get it done again I would go private. I was waiting well over a year and it cost €70. Back to the surgery. Everyone says that their testicles are very sensitive but even the doctors were laughing at me. I was jumping just by him looking to see where he was going to give injection he even said I haven't done anything yet. I have to say that the injection was like a full force kick in the balls but after that you don't feel a thing. He Gave me injection in the right testical and after 10 mins was starting on the left one. I had to tell him to stop cause I could feel everything. He gave me another injection in left testical and I couldn't feel a thing after that. In my case the recovery was far from slight discomfort. My balls were the size of 2 tennis balls. If anyone is getting it done book a week off work just in case. You really have to rest after it. They gave me a jock strap to wear and it does help. It took me a full month to get rid of all discomfort. I heard some guys comparing it to the dentist. it just happened I had a wisdom tooth removed about 3 weeks after vasectomy and I have to say vasectomy was a lot worse. It is no comparison. Bottom line everyone is different and I hope I don't turn anyone off getting it done. My case was probably worse case scenario and even at that I would get it done again and I wouldnt be as nervous either.

Wow sounds like you had a bad experience. i had it done privately at 9am and was at work at 10. I found the most uncomfortable thing about the procedure was that jockstrap thingy lol. I guess your right we are all different. Sounds like u had it much tougher than me.

Sorry to bump this, situation is with me I'm in LTR, dont want kids, herself doesn't either but she isn't 100% behind me getting a vasectomy yet.
    I do think I make progress when I mentoin it, I dont talk about it every day I would only bring it up (haha) once in a while - she hasn;t outright said no, its more like we'll see.

Whats' the best way to convince her? I think the fact that its not invasive like getting her tubes tied is a plus. (Also she's not "baby crazy" thank f**k)
    Any advice would be welcome.

So she doesnt want kids, u dont either and this will stop either of u having to use contraceptives. Why the heck aint she in favour of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 crabc

Couldn't agree more sparky. Got mine done 6 years ago privately in Athlone . I booked an appointment for 7pm and was out by 7.30. No pain just slight discomfort for a few days and at work the following day. Biggest discomfort was itchiness while the pubes grew back after shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Hi guys,got mine done a week ago had read a lot of horror stories on the net but you will get them with everything.Went to Morehampton clinic the doc had done thousands of snips so that was reassuring.Was done in twenty minutes no pain at all during the procedure,total rest for the next two days and feeling pretty tender,90 % normal by day 4 and back in action by day 5 yeah! [my OH wasnt expecting that!] a week on and totally fine, best decision i ever made.OH well impressed with me and lots of 'rewarding' to be done.happy days!go for it i say

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Had mine done yesterday in Blanchardstown. I was booked in for 1700. Turned up at the clinic at 1650 and was out by 1710. Very straight forward. The only slight discomfort was the original anesthetic. And when I say slight I mean slight. A small pinch and then a mild sensation in the groin that lasts for a few seconds.

I was going to take some valium before it but decided against it as I wanted to watch the match. I'm glad I didn't. There would have been no need for it.

There was a very small amount of bleeding after. No pain at all last night or today. The worst thing is the feeling of shaved hairs down there.

Back in boxers today and looking after two small kids no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Had mine done yesterday in Blanchardstown. I was booked in for 1700. Turned up at the clinic at 1650 and was out by 1710. Very straight forward. The only slight discomfort was the original anesthetic. And when I say slight I mean slight. A small pinch and then a mild sensation in the groin that lasts for a few seconds.

I was going to take some valium before it but decided against it as I wanted to watch the match. I'm glad I didn't. There would have been no need for it.

There was a very small amount of bleeding after. No pain at all last night or today. The worst thing is the feeling of shaved hairs down there.

Hi Jeepers.
    great to hear some good and refreshing news that it not to bad after getting it done.
    I still not done anything about it yet, but trip to Dr next week to maybe get balls rolling.
    how much has it cost people to get it done privately?
    Wife was told 2 weeks ago it cost her €350 for herself be done, but I'd get it done as less invasive so I hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LFCGavin

NATLOR wrote: »
    Hi guys,got mine done a week ago had read a lot of horror stories on the net but you will get them with everything.Went to Morehampton clinic the doc had done thousands of snips so that was reassuring.Was done in twenty minutes no pain at all during the procedure,total rest for the next two days and feeling pretty tender,90 % normal by day 4 and back in action by day 5 yeah! [my OH wasnt expecting that!] a week on and totally fine, best decision i ever made.OH well impressed with me and lots of 'rewarding' to be done.happy days!go for it i say

Hi Nator, had mine done in Morehampton last Friday, Had very little pain afterwards. Day 5 pain kicked in and now day 6 balls are very sore even walking. Was this normal for you?

LFCGavin wrote: »
    Hi Nator, had mine done in Morehampton last Friday, Had very little pain afterwards. Day 5 pain kicked in and now day 6 balls are very sore even walking. Was this normal for you?

Hi LFCGAVIN Firstly congrats for having the balls[excuse the pun!] to get it done in the first place,not an easy decision to make.

I was totally pain free for about 2 months then i went through 4 to 5 weeks of being quite sore but it was more in the upper groin area,specially after sex and more worrying i was having problems getting erections but thankfully that has all past now.

The operation is quite an assault on a pretty delicate area so some pain/reaction is to be expected i suppose. I hope you are over the worst of the pain by now.I imagine any post op pain will vary from person to person but if its still at the same level for you no harm in checking in at the clinic to see if they can help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LFCGavin

Hi NATLOR,

All is good now, I spoke to Dr.O'Keefe and was told to take Nurefen+ for 3days to reduce any swelling. The 2nd day taking them and I was like new. Wish I have taken them from the start.
    Have had no other problems, was having sex less than 24 hours after and all was well and almost daily since and no probs. fingers crossed its all plain sailing from here. :-)

• Advertisement

LFCGavin wrote: »
    Hi NATLOR,

All is good now, I spoke to Dr.O'Keefe and was told to take Nurefen+ for 3days to reduce any swelling. The 2nd day taking them and I was like new. Wish I have taken them from the start.
    Have had no other problems, was having sex less than 24 hours after and all was well and almost daily since and no probs. fingers crossed its all plain sailing from here. :-)
    Good to hear all is ok, long may that continue,you only get one set so any problems can be a bit of a worry to say the least.
    They are a good crowd in the Morehampton would recommend them to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

It's been 2 weeks since I had The Snip and I think I'm about 99% back to normal. I was surprised to see that some people got a serious counseling session before theirs. When I went, the doctor didn't ask why I was doing this until I started to get up on the table. My wife and I only have one child and she's disabled. She's doing great but we felt that we wouldn't have the time or energy for a second child. I also thought it over and no matter what happens in future, I don't wish to have any more kids.

I found getting the two local anesthetic shots at the beginning to be extremely painful but once those took effect, I didn't feel too much pain except for the odd pinch here and there. I absolutely hated having to wear briefs and I only did so for maybe a few days afterwards. I've since chucked them in the bin. You do need to keep your balls from swinging freely for a while but I've been a boxers guy for many years now.

Nurofen Plus was good for taking away the pain afterwards but it gave me rash on my face that took a few days to clear. I was walking like a cowboy after the procedure and I spent about a day or two taking it very easy. When I went out the second day walking around town, I was a bit worried about someone bumping into me or accidentally swinging their bag into my crotch area. Thankfully, none of that happened though I did see some guy walk into one of those footpath bollards and while that normally would've been funny, in my state at the time I only felt sympathy for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭my user name

jeepers101 wrote: »

where in Blanchardstown? contact details? thanks

where in Blanchardstown? contact details? thanks

Go to http://www.vasectomy-ireland.com for more details. He operates in Clane and Blanch. When in Blanch, he's located in the medical centre just across the street from the Superquinn. The procedure costs €395, which isn't too bad. A few years ago I was looking it up and it cost almost €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Hoop66

JJ wrote: »
    Go to http://www.vasectomy-ireland.com for more details. He operates in Clane and Blanch. When in Blanch, he's located in the medical centre just across the street from the Superquinn. The procedure costs €395, which isn't too bad. A few years ago I was looking it up and it cost almost €1000.
    I hope his surgical skills are better than his html...

Would you recommend this guy though? Been meaning to get it done for a while, and this looks like a nice, easy way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

I got it done with Dr Wynn in Clane in November last and was out in around 10mins. Would recommend him. The great thing for me was it was a Saturday morning so didn't have to take time off work. Back to normal after a few days. Little bleeding for maybe a day but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Little bro had this procedure last Friday, said only discomfort was when receiving anaesthetic but plain sailing after. Still a bit tender but managing day-to-day stuff. He said doc was sound and told him to return in three months having had fifty emissions. Bro said he'd told the missus it had to be sixty. Doc replied he'd change the discharge form to a hundred emissions but that was the most he was getting!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

DBK wrote: »
    I got it done with Dr Wynn in Clane in November last and was out in around 10mins. Would recommend him. The great thing for me was it was a Saturday morning so didn't have to take time off work. Back to normal after a few days. Little bleeding for maybe a day but that was it.

Only down the road from me. Friday afternoon is when I plan on going in. Can I ask how much it cost. And how soon till you got back in the saddle!

beertons wrote: »
    Only down the road from me. Friday afternoon is when I plan on going in. Can I ask how much it cost. And how soon till you got back in the saddle!

It cost €395 and it may take a few days before you can get back in the saddle. You should rest for at least one day but you probably won't feel like doing anything terribly active for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

For anyone who has had it done,is there any truth in having an increased sex drive afterwards?
    I've heard a few stories of guys being seriously frustrated after having a vasectomy!!
    Also,what kind of price would it be?

Increased drive probably comes from wife knowing she's safe to do it.
    My vasectomy had to be done as a life or death case. The wife said she'd kill me if she got pregnant again!. A little bit sore(you will walk like John Wayne for a little while)
    Don't worry about cost. Think of what you will save from not buying nappies!

Advertisement