Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

Got myself tickets to the Bulls v Trailblazers in Chicago March 16th!:D:D:D:D

Hopefully the bulls are all fit so i can see them in full flow, D. Rose has to play at least

Sweet, have you ever been to an NBA game before.

• yep, I saw the bulls playing the Wizards last March, wasnt really any sort of a contest. We were standing up at the very back, got seats this time albeit on the upper level

Yeah I was lucky enough to plan my 2010 holiday to Boston the same week as the finals game 5. Managed to get tickets through a relative that lives over there. It was boss even though my Lakers lost

• deadly, id say the atmosphere for the playoffs, let alone the final is amazing! It was a bit mute the game i was at last year except for the odd few moments. I think when Aretha Franklin was leaving the arena and she came up on the big screen she got the biggest ovation of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bulls seemed to be doing their best to lose that until they woke up in the last minute and a half!

• Advertisement

deadly, id say the atmosphere for the playoffs, let alone the final is amazing! It was a bit mute the game i was at last year except for the odd few moments. I think when Aretha Franklin was leaving the arena and she came up on the big screen she got the biggest ovation of the night
    Yeah it was fairly electric alright. Made the big mistake of wearing my Lakers jersey but once the people around me realised i wasn't from L.A (apparently my see through skin wasn't enough) they were fairly sound.

• ha, ye i found the americans to have a bit of banter with the opposition fans. I was at a Chicago Cubs baseball game a few years ago, can't remember who they were playing but there was a guy sitting in the bleachers in a Chicago White Sox jersey and there was just loads of friendly banter, imagine if it was a guy in a man united jersey sitting in the kop at anfield....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Good win again last night for the Knicks, albeit against an awful cavs team, they are looking good for a playoff spot probably 7th... At the start of the season, they just didnt have the depth, there was no point guard, and they were relying too much on Anthony and Stoudemire... But with the acquisition of J.R Smith, Baron getting healthy, Lin running the offense and Novak hitting big 3's they look like a nice team. If they can just improve defensively, Chandler is helping in that respect then they could be darkhorses I think

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

Philadelphia 76ers are dark horses this year IMO, they have won the most games so far this season by a 20+ margin, Andre Iguodala definitley worthy of his all star call up!

Philadelphia 76ers are dark horses this year IMO, they have won the most games so far this season by a 20+ margin, Andre Iguodala definitley worthy of his all star call up!

Cant argue that they are contenders, Iggy has been nothing short of outstanding, and is in the running for defensive P.O.Y.

• Advertisement

Serious displays by Rondo and Kobe today!

Rondo with 18 points, 17 rebounds and 20 assists, completely controlled the game, would scored more if he got more favourable rolls! Really gave Lin a lesson, he had more turnovers than assists, and some stupid shots in OT to go 1-7...extremely costly!

Kobe was just Kobe! He can say he had no grudge bout Wade breaking his nose but basically beat them on his own in the 1st quarter! Wade fouling out was a big help to the Lakers in holding them off, but the fact he fouled out shows how Kobe got him in bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah, what was that critics were saying about this being the year "Kobe stopped being Kobe"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

overtime in detroit, kobe with the buzzer beater to tie things up, calm as ever

And straight back to taking low percentage shots in OT!

Don't know what Kobe was at in the last 31 seconds there...two catch and shoots when he had plenty of time!

Not being able to do anything on D cost the Lakers that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I think it's utterly ridiculous the way everyone in the league is getting away with simply beating Lin up. Every time he makes a run to the basket they hit him, intentionally. With 4-5 fouls per player allowed in the game they just take it in turns and spread the fouls around.

You can see that his game was affected by Kid pulling his hair, hitting him in the face and then the other mav knocking him to the ground.

And this is happening night in night out, teams don't do this kind of crap to other players. The amount of jealousy and hate against this guy is phenomenal and the refs are doing nothing to protect him. And where are his team mates? They need to send a message by doing same or worse to other teams players and stand up for their guy.

But the knicks are hamstrung by selfish primadonnas like Melo who care more about themselves than the team.

Memnoch wrote: »
    I think it's utterly ridiculous the way everyone in the league is getting away with simply beating Lin up. Every time he makes a run to the basket they hit him, intentionally. With 4-5 fouls per player allowed in the game they just take it in turns and spread the fouls around.

You can see that his game was affected by Kid pulling his hair, hitting him in the face and then the other mav knocking him to the ground.

And this is happening night in night out, teams don't do this kind of crap to other players. The amount of jealousy and hate against this guy is phenomenal and the refs are doing nothing to protect him. And where are his team mates? They need to send a message by doing same or worse to other teams players and stand up for their guy.

But the knicks are hamstrung by selfish primadonnas like Melo who care more about themselves than the team.

Kidd clearly got the ball first and his follow through caught Lin, as for the other Mav 'knocking him to the ground' he jumped straight up in the air and Lin bounced off him since he was off balance from the Kidd hit...hardly intentional!

Lin has been doing a serious amount of flopping, and really exaggerating contact at times which isn't going to help him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hate makes people blind. Kidd did not touch the ball.

Lin blew past him and Kidd didn't 'catch' him. He PULLED his HAIR on the way down to prevent him from finishing the basket, snapping back his neck. This is the kind of thing that can result in serious career ending injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQVPCYblJ5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZdpWhGWjcg

Serious amount of flopping? Two games ago his nose was bleeding. I understand people can be biased but this kind of intentional bias in a sport is crazy. It's clear that he is getting fouled and fouled hard consistently and that the refs are failing to protect him because teams think they can keep getting away with it.

Edit: You can clearly see above on BOTH videos that after he misses the initial swipe, Kidd's hand moves up to grab Lin's hair, just as Lin is about to finish the layup. You can see Lin's head jerk back as a result of the pull before he crashes to the floor. I'm gob smacked that any decent human being would try and defend or equivocate this in any way. What Kidd did is disgraceful, shameful and cowardly. (( @ 26 seconds in second video.))

Oh the irony...your talking about people being biased...just look at what your saying about him!

Finish the lay up?! He was nowhere near finishing it, Mahini was there to block it! With Kidd's initial swipe he clearly made contact with the ball...hence why it went flying to the left! His head jerked back cause he caught him on the forehead!

As for pulling his hair, considering on video where it was in slow motion it didn't even last a second, hardly something that was intentionally or purposefully done!

Oh his nose was bleeding?!....oh sorry, was he ok?...was he able to manage?! WTF does that have to do with his flopping?!

Lakers after throwing another game away after being up by 21 in the 3rd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Whilst I don't think Lin gets any more of a rough tratment than say Kobe, that was dirty by Kidd there.
    Kidd swipes at the ball, hits Lin's hand and follows through and makes contact with Lin's head. Not sure if that was clumsy or intentional but he then definitely pulls Lin's hair. No need for that.
    All said and done though if you drive to the basket, expect a bump or two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Amazing play by the nets to win the game just now. They give it to Deron Williams and the clippers put all their efforts on them, jordan farmer is wide open for the 3 !

So Lakers sneak one in Minnesota , who were without Love cause of back spasms! Rubio seems to have really hurt his knee in the final seconds...hopefully it's nothing too bad!

Big win for the Clips over the Spurs!

Weird loss for the Knicks, changed the line-up and went small, was going well for Lin, but then the TO's and fouls started! Davis really is playing well,and can be seen with his playing time going up! Can see Lin keeping his starting place, but playing time going down more, especially when Chandler is back!

Rubio out for the season with a torn ACL :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Really sucks for the TWolves, they were starting to get a really good team put together, Pekovic has impressed me so far this season. They were in 8th place for the Playoffs and you could have seen them upset a bigger team if they played well.

Knicks are weird, shows how important Chandler has been for them, their team defence is atrocious without him. What the hell is up with Melo? Lately he's been awful.

Anyone got a good link for lakers celtics game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Interesting background to tonight's Bulls-Knicks game:
    How the Starks dunk changed NBA history

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Great victory for the Bulls. Knicks on a bad streak at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

jebforever wrote: »
    Great victory for the Bulls. Knicks on a bad streak at the moment.

Going into the 3rd quarter I really thought the Knicks were gonna sneak a victory.

Anyone reckon that Dwight Howard will move on from Orlando by Thursday?
    I would hate to see him leave but I think if he wants a ring he has gotta go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

killwill wrote: »
    Going into the 3rd quarter I really thought the Knicks were gonna sneak a victory.

Anyone reckon that Dwight Howard will move on from Orlando by Thursday?
    I would hate to see him leave but I think if he wants a ring he has gotta go.

I dont think he will go, he is kind of holding Orlando hostage a bit just like LeBron did. I would think that he ultimately would want to stay and add some players but that is easier said than done.
    Obviously teams would kill to get him but I dont see many teams being able to offer enough in a trade.

Advertisement