Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

If you're planning to express at all the fullness you get the next morning gives the opportunity to collect a bit for the freezer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you very how strange and kandr... Yes I used to express but haven't expressed for couple of weeks. Good idea about storing. 9 week old start to sleep longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Unless you're really worried I would go by the old saying of not to wake a sleeping baby:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi all, new to this thread and have a question. My LO is 3 weeks and I'm exclusively breast feeding. My right boo was killing me the last day due To a blocked duct which I managed to clear with hot water and massage. Woke up yesterday morning pain free thank god. But now since yesterday my lefy boob is killing me! The thing is tho I don't think it's a blocked duct (I've had a couple of these before). I'm not looking for medical advice but was just wondering if anyone has ever pulled a muscle in their boob (if this is even possible) and if so what did it feel like?

Coz this kinda feels like a pulled muscle on the left side and the underside of my breast. There's no sign of a blocked duct like redness or inflammation or anything but its so sore.

Anyways I'm gonna just in the bath and try clear it in case it is a blockage and will see doc or someone on Monday if its still there. Was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before? Thanks :)

Well LO has just turned 4 months and is exclusively bf. Woke up today to find my periods had returned (sorry if tmi:o). Delighted - not :rolleyes:!! Anyway I always thought they wouldn't return until bf finished or reduced or babs started solids - just wondering if any of the rest of you have had them return yet? Is it something I should be concerned about (ie hormone levels, supply etc) LO has been suffering with silent reflux the last number of weeks and feeding a bit erratically - just wondering if that may be the cause? :(

• Advertisement

Soooky wrote: »
    Well LO has just turned 4 months and is exclusively bf. Woke up today to find my periods had returned (sorry if tmi:o). Delighted - not :rolleyes:!! Anyway I always thought they wouldn't return until bf finished or reduced or babs started solids - just wondering if any of the rest of you have had them return yet? Is it something I should be concerned about (ie hormone levels, supply etc) LO has been suffering with silent reflux the last number of weeks and feeding a bit erratically - just wondering if that may be the cause? :(

I got mine around the 4 month mark too. I think it coincided with her sleeping for longer at night so I put it down to that. I wouldn't worry about supply etc unless your baby isn't getting as many wet and dirty nappies as normal. Delighted is right though - not!!

Oh good I'm not the only one who got it early then - ah sure misery loves company :D:D:D:D

I was shocked to see it I have to say! Got used to not having to think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Sorry Sligo missed this post: I thought I was getting mastitis but know no blocked ducts nothing but it was so painful: my LC thought I might have hurt it withy my mad positioning trying to get her to feed after tongue tie. So definitely possible but I would keep going as if blocked duct.

S has reflux and is constipated. Can't get her to swallow gaviscon or take a bottle. Tried syringing it and no joy. Need to give her lactolose too. Any tips??

cyning wrote: »
    Sorry Sligo missed this post: I thought I was getting mastitis but know no blocked ducts nothing but it was so painful: my LC thought I might have hurt it withy my mad positioning trying to get her to feed after tongue tie. So definitely possible but I would keep going as if blocked duct.

S has reflux and is constipated. Can't get her to swallow gaviscon or take a bottle. Tried syringing it and no joy. Need to give her lactolose too. Any tips??

Thanks Cyning. Now in hospital on IV antibiotics :(.

Have you tried a teaspoon? How many mls is it? If its not a lot she need you could get her to suck it off your finger?

• Advertisement

Oh no Sligo :( were you able to keep baba with you? You poor thing. Hope you feel better soon

Gaviscon is 15mls and lactolose 2.5 so could do it for lactolose alright. Sitting in docs waiting room for S now too.

cyning wrote: »
    Oh no Sligo :( were you able to keep baba with you? You poor thing. Hope you feel better soon

Gaviscon is 15mls and lactolose 2.5 so could do it for lactolose alright. Sitting in docs waiting room for S now too.

No don't have Baba with me :(. I'm expressing and sending the milk home. Hopefully I won't be in here for too long.

I'm not sure if this will work but could you mix the gaviscon with some breast milk perhaps and try syringe it or perhaps she would prefer a little cup? I know the midwives when giving top ups to new borns give a little 30ml cup sometimes. Hope S is ok x

My LO has silent reflux Cyning and def feeling the effects of the gaviscon the past few days - damn constipation:mad: She takes it from the syringe though so can't help you I'm afraid! Have you tried a sippy cup though that would depend on age. I'm avoiding the lactulose as I have given up dairy while breastfeeding and my LO's constipation isn't too bad - just going to give some cooled boiled water instead

She's 4 and a half weeks :( she has an ear infection I swear to god constipation reflux and ear infection some of the things that are much less common in breastfed babies :( got her to take calpol and antibiotic there so I'll try gaviscon and lactolose again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

For those of ye that have introduced solids, when did ye start giving the baby extra water with meals instead of milk?
    My six month old is well established on three small meals a day. He is a great eater and really enjoys it. He is nursing less during the day, as expected. He nurses alot in early morning and evening time. I feel like he is still getting a lot of milk but there is no pattern as I just offer it constantly during the day incase he's thirsty. He'll take a few sups but Im worried I'm forcing it on him too much! He has plenty wet nappies and gaining weight so Im not worried about dehydration but after months of constant nursing it is hard to get used to spacing out the feeds.

I've offered him cooled boiled water in a bottle or sippy cup but he mostly just chews the teat.

With C I introduced water with every meal from the start. It was awhile before she started drinking it but it was there if she wanted it. She cut feeds with solids but reintroduced them after!! She's 21 months now and loves her water so I'd definitely introduce it now even to let her get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Well with today's heat, it's as good a day as ever to have some water! I will have it there for every meal so. From what I've read it doesn't have to be boiled anymore which makes it less hassle too. I put an empty bottle in the change bag too. Still not sure whether I should offer milk with every meal or just water and keep the milk feeds separate.

Hi soooky, cyning, I understand your little ones have silent reflex, could you please let me know what are the symptoms you spotted? The more I read the more I am convinced my LO has silent reflux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

E is super fussy and clingy today. Will only sleep on us and for a max of half an hour after which he's back crying for a feed, which goes on for about twenty minutes! He seems to be getting a lot but I'm afraid he'll milk me dry before bedtime if he keeps going like this and I'll wind up having to use formula :( Is this normal at 3 weeks?

Lilmissprincess it sounds like a growth spurt and they are really tough. Just keep feeding feeding feeding. It's her way of increasing milk supply so don't give formula: she might be unsettled etc but that's regardless of how they're fed during a growth spurt. Hang in there it passes trite as that sounds.

Kknitter with my first little girl she used arch her back after feeds and we could here her swallowing back when burping her or if we laid her flat. She also roared if we lay her flat!

• Advertisement

Cyning, he archs his back alright but more like stretching after a sleep and straightens soon enough. He cries or is fussy in evening not in mornings or after all feeds. He has hiccups though more frequent like 4 or 5 times or more during day, nothing in night. He started coughing, like dry coughs in day few times a day. He doesn't nap at all during day, just like cat nap one or twice in day for 15 mins. He sleeps soundly in night, just waking for feeds and sleeps soon after. I am sorry I am not looking for medical advice but just symptoms you might have noticed.

Kknitter, with my LO it was always very hard to get her wind up, she would cry because she had wind pains but nothing would come up! She used to hiccup several times a day and was quite fidgety too. I spoke to my PHN on numerous occasions and my GP and was told she would grow out of it etc (1st time mama but I still felt something wasn't right) It all came to a head St Patricks week. She was drooling loads, blowing bubbles with her drool, irritable all day but nights were worse! She would spend most of the night thrashing about in bed in her sleep, tossing and turning her head from side to side, arching her back and whimpering. We had her in a cocoonababy bed which is supposed to prevent reflux - if that's the case I would hate to see how she would have been in a cot!) I would have to take her out of her bed and sit up with her upright on my chest all night rubbing her back trying to soothe her - she was literally half asleep with exhaustion and still arching and thrashing and jerking! Then she had 3/4 episodes where she would be sitting on my lap happy enough & quiet and all of a sudden she would start screaming in pain - she could not even catch her breath:( I can only describe the cry like someone had poured a kettle of boiling water over her! The stress of it was unreal - I was in tears myself to hear her in pain.

She is now on zantac and infant gaviscon and hugely improved! We also went to a chiropractor which really helped :) I really hope your LO doesn't have silent reflux - you can PM me if I can help in any way :)

Also meant to say that at night we could hear her refluxing and swallowing again and she used to cough & sneeze a bit too - we kept thinking she had caught cold :rolleyes:

Thank you very much Soooky for the details. Appreciate it. My LO doesn't cry that much, he does burp most of the time. He feeds every 1 to 1 and a half hour. He is 10 and a half week old. He does gets hiccups, when he cries most of the time he seems hungry and when latched he is fine. Not sure If he is comfort feeding, but he is happy as larry other times. I might be overthinking I guess :confused: he does have hiccups and few times cough and twice he was drooling and bubbles.
    I will get an appointment with phn and then may be gp just to ease my worries.
    My husband is tired of me being worried for every little thing like if the nappy is a bit lighter I start worrying :rolleyes:

Does anybody know if its ok to re-refrigerate expressed breast milk? Basically I took 2 x 150ml bottles on a trip to nanas today which took 3 hours. I know it can be left out for around 6 hours so was wondering if I could put the bottles back in the fridge to give one to my 3 week old baby this evening? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Unless it was sitting in direct sunlight I'd say absolutely yes.

Unless it was sitting in direct sunlight I'd say absolutely yes.

Ah that's brilliant. Thanks a mill. Id hate to waste it. It was in a bag away from sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hello ladies, this question has probably being asked before, so I hope I won’t annoy people by repeating it! I am due my first baby in 6 weeks and am hoping to breast feed. I have been given a steriliser and bought a bottle starter kit in Aldi when it was on offer and was planning to buy some cartons of formula ‘just in case’. But I had my ante natal class the other night with a midwife from CUMH and she discouraged having the formula there as back up as she thinks it leaves it very tempting to give the baby a bottle if you’re tired and stressed. She wasn’t a real breast feeding fundamentalist, but she was very pro breast feeding. I just wonder what peoples thoughts are on having the back up there? I can see her point that it might be tempting if it’s there whereas if I have to go and buy it, it might encourage me to power through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd be inclined to agree with her based on my own experienced of breastfeeding in the early days. You're exhausted, the baby has wind or is fussy or is having a growth spurt. Whatever the reason once that starts you'll doubt yourself or your milk supply or the quality of the milk (it's not enough for him/her) and that bottle of formula will look very tempting.

I know I'd have grabbed a bottle with both hands especially with my son who used to be starving during growth spurts. He fed off me for 5 hours straight one night. He was hysterical, so was I and I even fell asleep feeding him. But it only lasted a couple of days and then it was over. My daughter was more chilled in that sense. I never remember upset because I couldn't fill her. She just fed a lot!

Breastfeeding and establishing it at the start requires a huge leap of faith. You're biologically designed to feed your baby and your milk is perfect for him/her otherwise the human race would've been extinct a long time ago but it's unquantifiable. You can't talk in terms of ounces or mls. So when the fussiness starts you'll automatically doubt yourself. The last thing you want at those times is a bottle of formula sitting in the cupboard.

The best advice was to wait until the next day before making any decisions such as buying formula. For me, the next day was always better than the day before and we just kept on feeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'd be inclined to agree with her based on my own experienced of breastfeeding in the early days. You're exhausted, the baby has wind or is fussy or is having a growth spurt. Whatever the reason once that starts you'll doubt yourself or your milk supply or the quality of the milk (it's not enough for him/her) and that bottle of formula will look very tempting.

I know I'd have grabbed a bottle with both hands especially with my son who used to be starving during growth spurts. He fed off me for 5 hours straight one night. He was hysterical, so was I and I even fell asleep feeding him. But it only lasted a couple of days and then it was over. My daughter was more chilled in that sense. I never remember upset because I couldn't fill her. She just fed a lot!

Breastfeeding and establishing it at the start requires a huge leap of faith. You're biologically designed to feed your baby and your milk is perfect for him/her otherwise the human race would've been extinct a long time ago but it's unquantifiable. You can't talk in terms of ounces or mls. So when the fussiness starts you'll automatically doubt yourself. The last thing you want at those times is a bottle of formula sitting in the cupboard.

The best advice was to wait until the next day before making any decisions such as buying formula. For me, the next day was always better than the day before and we just kept on feeding.
    Thanks How Strange, that's pretty much what the midwife giving the class, she does follow ups with people and is always available for a phone call or text and she says when she gets a frazzled call or text, she advises them to try and wait until the next day before making any decisions.

She made a good point which I hadn't considered, she showed us a chart and it showed how small a babies stomach actually is. She said when people combine feed, they invariabley give too much which stretches the stomach and makes the baby harder to fill with breast milk alone, so it can be a catch 22 situation.

I really want to make the breast feeding work, I'm just worried about the first difficult weeks.

Advertisement