Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Artist Recommendation

• 04-02-2013 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, looking for a recommendation for a tattoo artist in the Dublin/Wicklow area. Loooong story short I have a couple of tattoo's one of them is on my upper arm, I would like to add to it I've tried a couple of places in Dublin. I explained i wanted something feminine, made a huge point in saying FEMININE....nothing too girly or too man-like. I said I was open to any suggestions ......and what suggestions they were !!!!:confused: I'm just not sure where to try now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I don't really know any in Dublin except Stigmata Tau in Swords who are very good. If you have a car and can travel, there's a great guy in Hacketstown (near Carlow) that I found and have used the last while. His profile is here: http://www.wickedskin.ie/colinbyrne/ the second and third picture in his gallery is me. :D

As for the Dublin artists, I'm sure people will be along presently to advise you who you could go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Wildcat, Snakebite, Colourworks, Spilled Ink, Skin City.

All the staples of the Dublin tattoo scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hi, looking for a recommendation for a tattoo artist in the Dublin/Wicklow area. Loooong story short I have a couple of tattoo's one of them is on my upper arm, I would like to add to it I've tried a couple of places in Dublin. I explained i wanted something feminine, made a huge point in saying FEMININE....nothing too girly or too man-like. I said I was open to any suggestions ......and what suggestions they were !!!!:confused: I'm just not sure where to try now. Any help would be much appreciated.

The places recommended by Adi and PKM you cant go wrong, but if you us give some more information might be able to help more.

When you went into whichever studios you visited in Dublin are you saying they couldn't come up with any ideas for you arm? What have you got on your arm already that your trying to extend on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 anuksunamon

Yeah went to two out of the above dublin ones named, one place the dude was super rude and then tried to pawn me off to an apprentice no offense to apprentices but it didn't make me feel to confident. And the other took feminine to mean that i wanted a tiger to go with my dragon again no offense to anyone with that type of tattoo but anyone i know who has said tattoo is big burly kenpo practicing hairy muscley man and i'm none of those!!!

I have a green and purple dragon on my upper arm a bit of shading around it, its just over 4 and half inches long and just of 3 inches wide. I'd like something that goes up above it towards my shoulder rather than going to far down my arm if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

No offence intended, but your specification is incredibly vague, and seems a little contradictory (something feminine, made a huge point in saying FEMININE....nothing too girly or too man-like)

I'd recommend coming up with something a little more substantial as to what you would like first. It doesn't have to be exactly what you would like, but rather something that will indicate to the artist what kind of thing you have in mind.

• Advertisement

LOL.....I'm being a tad vague cos I'm being super careful not to say any names and any of the said suggestions that i was given.......new to the boards and was reading previous posts in the tattoo forums where certain peeps named particular winged creatures which other people kinda bashed and now i find i'm waffling........sorry i'm kinda all sugared up at the mo and verbal diarrhoea seems to be happening!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

If you want something feminine, it IS going to be girly if you specify that you want feminine!

If you want something that's neither feminine or masculine, specify that you want it to be gender-neutral, anyone should know what you mean then.

I've got some gender-neutral tatts and some that are feminine without being too girly. It really all depends on the style of tattoo you want, and tbh you've been really vague! But, if we're going purely on the words 'feminine but not too feminine,' I'd suggest Sean in Zulu or Deb in Molly's. Sean did a 'girly' design for me, but made it not particularly feminine, something that suited me because I am not a typical girly girl, and Deb in Molly's did a 'masculine' design in a feminine way for me, using colours, shading and lines in a soft way, to make it look feminine, even though it was a somewhat masculine design.

I could give more specific information, but I really don't know what exactly you're looking for! :pac:

LOL.....I'm being a tad vague cos I'm being super careful not to say any names and any of the said suggestions that i was given.......new to the boards and was reading previous posts in the tattoo forums where certain peeps named particular winged creatures which other people kinda bashed and now i find i'm waffling........sorry i'm kinda all sugared up at the mo and verbal diarrhoea seems to be happening!!!!!

No need to be so vague you can name the studios you visited and the ideas they gave you ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Phoenix? Dragon? Griffin? Pegasus? Birds? ... Flying fish? :pac: ;)

Don't worry about that, but when you're going to the tattoo artists that you like (rather than a particular studio!) then it's best to have some kind of concrete idea (ie - one of mine is a black-work/tribal style phoenix, I asked him to make it complimentary to an existing one I had, and to make it more agressive/masculine than the typical phoenix tattoos.) So say you wanted a particular animal, I'd google illustrations of the animal or tattoos of the animal, take a few that you really like the style of, and bring those with you to the artist so that you can tell them you like those, and would like something along those lines, feminine without being TOO feminine, and they will have something that they can work from then!

Sorry i'm being so vague , I asked for the artists opinions and i got suggestions of butterflies, hearts, tiger, bold chinese writing and a koi fish all i which i don't think i could've rocked !!! I was looking for something along the lines of some violet blossoms or if i could get a twisted willow stuff along those lines. I wanted someone honest who would say 'ah no that would be horrific' or 'maybe you should leave that tattoo alone and pick another place'.

• Advertisement

Thing is i have 2 tattoos both of which i have had done abroad, the dragon is a cover up i got done in colorado 10 years ago, it covers up a bad tatt i got done 17 years ago in the mint in dublin. First two tries to tattoo shops in dublin went kinda badly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Sorry i'm being so vague , I asked for the artists opinions and i got suggestions of butterflies, hearts, tiger, bold chinese writing and a koi fish all i which i don't think i could've rocked !!! I was looking for something along the lines of some violet blossoms or if i could get a twisted willow stuff along those lines. I wanted someone honest who would say 'ah no that would be horrific' or 'maybe you should leave that tattoo alone and pick another place'.

Thing is, if you go into a tattoo studio and ask for recommendations, that's all you'll get - recommendations. You'd be much, much better off to have a clear idea of what you want, bring in some illustrations from google, tumblr, deviantart or whatever other site you find illustrations on, and ask them to give ideas for how to tie it in with your current tattoo.

Thing is i have 2 tattoos both of which i have had done abroad, the dragon is a cover up i got done in colorado 10 years ago, it covers up a bad tatt i got done 17 years ago in the mint in dublin. First two tries to tattoo shops in dublin went kinda badly!!!

No need to be fearful of tattoo studios in Dublin or Ireland there are some amazing artists working in some top quality studios. Maybe if you could post up a pic of the tattoo you want added to it might help?

But as other have said you really need to get clear in your own mind what you want before getting it tattoo'd on you, my own first thought was that of a lotus flower.

I went in with the violets/willow/ japanese idea's but i was kinda ignored which was when i got the artists suggestions........Its not that i'm fearful its just that i went in blind not knowing anything about the artists/shops in general so totally my fault ......The lotus flower idea is next after the dragon is added to and its drawn out to perfection and laminated LOL!!!

Advertisement