Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tour de france 2012 MOD WARNING POST 99

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

Does anyone know where one can get detailed maps of the routes? Planning on heading over for the first few stages and am trying to plan where best to be, etc.

Has anyone bought any of the guides that the cycling mags have put out? Any use?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

elduggo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where one can get detailed maps of the routes? Planning on heading over for the first few stages and am trying to plan where best to be, etc.

Has anyone bought any of the guides that the cycling mags have put out? Any use?

cheers

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79200343

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

i have this guide and i find it pretty useful. It previews each stage (giving the route profile for all of the mountain stages) , previews every team, it profiles the main contenders too. for €10 it is handy to have.

you can view detailed maps of stages here (scroll down to whatever stage you want and click the arrow under details on the right hand side)

:)

flying11 wrote: »
    i have this guide and i find it pretty useful. It previews each stage (giving the route profile for all of the mountain stages) , previews every team, it profiles the main contenders too. for €10 it is handy to have.

you can view detailed maps of stages here (scroll down to whatever stage you want and click the arrow under details on the right hand side)

:)

cheers. I have been looking at letour.fr and its been useful. I've printed off the maps for the days I'll be over. Theres a couple of problems with them though. They show the route without telling you precisely the roads they take (from my experience of going to these things, its pretty obvious when you're over there - follow the crowds, etc). I was over at the Vuelta last year and managed (though can't remember for the life of me where) to get very detailed info, such as depart time, the roads they'd be taking, the towns they'd be passing through, along with expected times they'd be at each place if their average speed was X, Y, and Z. I can't imagine there isn't something out there for the Tour, given how huge the race is.

I got a copy of some of the official Vuelta race handbook last year (from a rubbish pile the Quick-Step team left after them outside their hotel!). The official Giro race manual was made available online as a PDF. I'm sincerely hoping they do the same for the Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is there a list of all the teams competing this year?

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Is there a list of all the teams competing this year?

http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/RIDERS/us/engages.html

oh, I'm a dumbass. The time info is there, under a tab I hadn't checked!

Sorted! Cheers everyone.

cheers. I have been looking at letour.fr and its been useful. I've printed off the maps for the days I'll be over. Theres a couple of problems with them though. They show the route without telling you precisely the roads they take (from my experience of going to these things, its pretty obvious when you're over there - follow the crowds, etc). I was over at the Vuelta last year and managed (though can't remember for the life of me where) to get very detailed info, such as depart time, the roads they'd be taking, the towns they'd be passing through, along with expected times they'd be at each place if their average speed was X, Y, and Z. I can't imagine there isn't something out there for the Tour, given how huge the race is.

I got a copy of some of the official Vuelta race handbook last year (from a rubbish pile the Quick-Step team left after them outside their hotel!). The official Giro race manual was made available online as a PDF. I'm sincerely hoping they do the same for the Tour.

The official guide (the one in the pic by ednwireland in the other thread) has the expected times in it (I'm almost certain, will double-check when I get home). Also, they're available on letour.fr if you haven't found them there already - under the stage-by-stage bit, select 'time schedule'. edit: see you found it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

this website has a google earth route for each stage and if you click on the "itineraire horaire" it will give you the estimated arrival time at each town/village along the route depending on the average speed.

e.g if you click "itineraire horaire" for stage 1 it will give the times for the caravane, the peloton at an averege of 44kmph, 42 kmph and 40kmph. handy website :)

• Advertisement

flying11 wrote: »
    this website has a google earth route for each stage and if you click on the "itineraire horaire" it will give you the estimated arrival time at each town/village along the route depending on the average speed.

e.g if you click "itineraire horaire" for stage 1 it will give the times for the caravane, the peloton at an averege of 44kmph, 42 kmph and 40kmph. handy website :)

thats fantastic. More info than anyone could possibly use! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sky Team

Bradley Wiggins, Mark Cavendish, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Bernhard Eisel, Chris Froome, Christian Knees, Richie Porte, Michael Rogers and Kanstantsin Siutsou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

I am seriously anti-Wiggin's this year. Team sky have real potential to make this a bore fest. Hopefully someone will be able to stick it to them in the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

happytramp wrote: »
    Team sky have real potential to make this a bore fest. Hopefully someone will be able to stick it to them in the hills.

I personally think Wiggos odds are overrated.

Winning a tour isn't as simple as getting a bunch of fast guys to sit on the front. Are they going to do that every day for three weeks? One bad day and it's anyone's tour. Cadel has proven ability to respond to big attacks and win with relatively little support.

Media coverage of the TdF is a bit like the Grand National. There's never any focus on the unknown unknowns, because it's a bit difficult to write/talk about unknowable stuff, and you get the impression that the favourites have it sown up. And then they start to fall...

I also wonder whether Wiggo/Sky are getting as much positive coverage in the non-Anglophone media. Anyone speak foreign?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

Lumen wrote: »

Winning a tour isn't as simple as getting a bunch of fast guys to sit on the front. Are they going to do that every day for three weeks? One bad day and it's anyone's tour. Cadel has proven ability to respond to big attacks and win with relatively little support.

I hope you're right, but didn't Lance get away with that trick for years???

The reason people are really going so Wiggin's mad is because Evans lost over 1.30 to him on the Dauphine TT. That's around 3min over the 100K TT in the tour. I know it's impossible to compare like for like but it's probably why he's become such a favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

Media coverage of the TdF is a bit like the Grand National. There's never any focus on the unknown unknowns, because it's a bit difficult to write/talk about unknowable stuff, and you get the impression that the favourites have it sown up. And then they start to fall...

I also wonder whether Wiggo/Sky are getting as much positive coverage in the non-Anglophone media. Anyone speak foreign?

Agree that Sky look like they might bore the death out of the TdF this year but this season where they have had Wiggins they have been so dominating its hard to see Wiggins get beaten. Even if he does have a bad day or a injury I think the even more talented Froome will be there to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Crippens1

The build up in l'Equipe is pretty good with lots of news each day. They give a fairly straightforward assessment of the Sky team without saying anything too dramatic;
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Sky-mise-d-abord-sur-wiggins/292989

Since winning the Daupine Wiggins has farly hit the radar screen adn most expect he will make the podium but not win.

I think the French media in general are expecting Cadel Evans to win again especially since Andy Schleck pulled out. They hope Pierre Rolland makes the podium especially if Christophe Kern & Thomas Voeckler ride well in support on the mountian stages.

Crippens1 wrote: »
    The build up in l'Equipe is pretty good with lots of news each day. They give a fairly straightforward assessment of the Sky team without saying anything too dramatic;
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Sky-mise-d-abord-sur-wiggins/292989

Since winning the Daupine Wiggins has farly hit the radar screen adn most expect he will make the podium but not win.

I think the French media in general are expecting Cadel Evans to win again especially since Andy Schleck pulled out. They hope Pierre Rolland makes the podium especially if Christophe Kern & Thomas Voeckler ride well in support on the mountian stages.

Yeah from what my French could translate for that is that they seem to be almost criticising Cav on the amount of support he needs, and how Sky need every rider to be on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Yeah from what my French could translate for that is that they seem to be almost criticising Cav on the amount of support he needs, and how Sky need every rider to be on form.

Meh, not sure that I got that impression. Basically they're saying what everyone is about Cav - he'll only have 2 dedicated lead out riders this year because the team is also going for the GC. They do note that if Sky are controlling a stage for Wiggins it'll help Cav as well and Boassen Hagen could get nominated as sprinter in some of the hillier stages.

Cav is really downplaying his prospects for the tour.

http://road.cc/content/news/60154-mark-cavendish-expects-tour-de-france-results-suffer-olympic-preparation

"I will win stages but I may not win five. My sprint has suffered a little bit, but the guys who are sprinters, like I was, won't be there in the [Olympic road race] finish.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

Dan martin in the garmin barracuda squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

who do people think will be cadel's main competitor with contador and schleck both out?

also, anyone know is contador competing in the olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Meh, not sure that I got that impression. Basically they're saying what everyone is about Cav - he'll only have 2 dedicated lead out riders this year because the team is also going for the GC. They do note that if Sky are controlling a stage for Wiggins it'll help Cav as well and Boassen Hagen could get nominated as sprinter in some of the hillier stages.

Can't see Cav finishing it to be honest - he'll have support for the 1st week, then he'll get Eisel and no more, unless Wiggins blows. Wouldn't be surprised to see him retire to concentrate on the Olympics.

Never was the best at written french, I'll stick to speaking it! Yeah a quick google translate tells me it's a case that Cav admits it'll be harder for him to win due to the fact the team are going for GC and that the team's based around Wiggins as he's a favourite to win. Cav also said in an interview that he'd changed his training to suit the Olympics and that his sprint suffered, so he wasn't planning on winning many stages.

Cav is really downplaying his prospects for the tour.

http://road.cc/content/news/60154-mark-cavendish-expects-tour-de-france-results-suffer-olympic-preparation

"I will win stages but I may not win five. My sprint has suffered a little bit, but the guys who are sprinters, like I was, won't be there in the [Olympic road race] finish.”

I did read that he's been focussing on the Olympics, so training has been targeting climbing (with Box Hill in mind) rather than out and out sprinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nibali or Samuel Sanchez do something. Course suits them just as Wiggins or Evans imo, and they can put pressure on Wiggins on the descents.

A knock on Wiggins imo is that's he's holding his form through the year. I mean winning Paris-Nice, Tour de Romandie and the Dauphine has to take something out of him

Can't see Cav finishing it to be honest - he'll have support for the 1st week, then he'll get Eisel and no more, unless Wiggins blows. Wouldn't be surprised to see him retire to concentrate on the Olympics.

The irony of him losing 4kg for the Olympics is that he'll have less of an "excuse" to bail out of the tour early to prepare for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I think it'll depend on where he is in the green jersey standings after the first few stages - maybe the first time trial. If he has a good lead, then I think he may soldier on to Paris, but if it's a battle or he's behind to a more all-round rider (a la Hushovd) then he may get off his bike early.

buffalo wrote:
    I did read that he's been focussing on the Olympics, so training has been targeting climbing (with Box Hill in mind) rather than out and out sprinting.

I'm assuming that this training has all happened post Milan San-Remo? I thought he actually looked worse on climbs so far this year than in other years. I think he may struggle on Box Hill come the Olympics, but he's obviously confident he can get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

titan18 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Nibali or Samuel Sanchez do something. Course suits them just as Wiggins or Evans imo, and they can put pressure on Wiggins on the descents.

A knock on Wiggins imo is that's he's holding his form through the year. I mean winning Paris-Nice, Tour de Romandie and the Dauphine has to take something out of him

what about the 2 TT though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cheers

http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/0/etape_par_etape.html

Advertisement