Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if bees become extinct?

• 09-06-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

How relevant are bees in worldwide plant/crop pollination, if they become extinct are we looking at a serious knock on effect of plant failure, thus causing the collapse of a multitude of species, would we be looking at serious food shortages?...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

This should probably go in the biology section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

It doesn't bovar me, it won't affect me, i'll still be able to buy an iPad 10 or super-plasma tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

superluck wrote: »
    It doesn't bovar me, it won't affect me, i'll still be able to buy an iPad 10 or super-plasma tv.

and you wont get stung.....

what do bees do anyway except sting people all day? they're good for nothing.
    so are other animals on the planet, taking up space and getting in the way of industrial progress, all these tree luggers getting in the way of mans innovation.

Look what man can create with technology, shurely we can just create bees in a laboratory if we need them ....nature only thinks it's boss.

we could always genetically engineer some bees without their stinging feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

bee's pollinate 30% of the worlds crops so without them crop prices would increase and then increase food prices. If you pay more for your food odds are you would have less money in your pocket for your ipad or super dooper plasma tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭andy1249

Artificial pollination is childsplay , it has been and is being done in glasshouses all over the world for your tomatoes and anything else that comes from under glass. This has been the case for decades now if not centuries.

Bees are already extinct in some areas of Japan , and the locals simply use sticks and cotton wool to transfer pollen from plant to plant for their crops , a little bit of extra manual labour , and guess what , no one is starving !

Most of the areas with no bees in Japan are due to the introduction of the western honey bee , who have not developed the defense mechanism against the very aggressive and large local wasps , who wipe out hives in a matter of hours.
    The local bee had developed a defense whereby they all land on and smother the wasp , the wasp body temperature rises , and it dies. The foreign bees dont do that , so they got wiped out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EZtXNIT5QQ

Interesting case for the eradication of hornets since they probably do nothing except kill honey bees.

other insects i'd like to see extinct: blue bottle fly, cockroaches and woodlouse

all of these insects don't do anything productive anyway so why not just get rid of them for good.

i think an eradication program is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Monsanto will rule us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Someone think of a conspiracy theory relating to this or I will have to move it!

Suggestion: (carrying on from what charlemont said) If the bees become extinct (naturally or otherwise), then maybe Mosanto's genetic use restriction technology may come into play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Phil the Greek

Interesting case for the eradication of hornets since they probably do nothing except kill honey bees.

other insects i'd like to see extinct: blue bottle fly, cockroaches and woodlouse

all of these insects don't do anything productive anyway so why not just get rid of them for good.

i think an eradication program is in order.

Grasshopper. You have so much to learn about nature and trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live." Robert Einstein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

That's a pretty big if.
    Nature is nothing if not remarkably persistent.

And if it fails, we are remarkably inventive.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭noddyflavin

i got kicked outta Nature already!...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

This idea of scientists being able to synthesize food is nonsense, cannot and will not ever happen. Certainly food that is suitable for human consumption. If man does not comply with the supreme he will face drought and famine - it is all in the Bible. There are other forces at work determining wether we have rain or bees for pollination. Repent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Just look at china the east part there are no bees as they killed them all years back they now have to do every thing that a bee should do by hand..

So please tell little kids never kill a bee their rare as it stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

This idea of scientists being able to synthesize food is nonsense, cannot and will not ever happen. Certainly food that is suitable for human consumption. If man does not comply with the supreme he will face drought and famine - it is all in the Bible. There are other forces at work determining wether we have rain or bees for pollination. Repent!

For once could we have a debate without that dam bible all up in this place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

where did manna come from ????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

lookitsme wrote: »
    bee's pollinate 30% of the worlds crops so without them crop prices would increase and then increase food prices. If you pay more for your food odds are you would have less money in your pocket for your ipad or super dooper plasma tv
    He's doing his subtle satire trick. It's very subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

where did manna come from ????
    Manna = a food that appears on the ground overnight. Mushrooms, then. :p

I seriously doubt that bees will go extinct: they're not a single species that is equally at risk, all over the world. This "colony collapse disorder" is evolutionary pressure, under which some bees will do better than others. I'm sure the bees will be all right in the long run; not so sure about the people.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 D3V1L

What would cause this extinction. Is it to do with GM crop's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

D3V1L wrote: »
    What would cause this extinction. Is it to do with GM crop's ?
    Lots of theories, more than one of which may be partly true. Blaming a single factor such as GM crops is too simplistic.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Not an insect.

/pedant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Undergod wrote: »
    Not an insect.

/pedant

No, insects are small!!

Giant_isopod.jpg

Give me a sec to Google image search for "largest insect"... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Undergod wrote: »
    Give me a sec to Google image search for "largest insect"... :pac:

Not insect.

/pedant...

studiorat wrote: »
    Not insect.

/pedant...

No, I meant, "give me a second to find a picture of a correspondingly large insect to match your large woodlouse" not that you posted a picture of an insect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

/pedants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whats the craic with wasps then?

any truth to the theory they are extra terrestrial?

what do they do on the planet? (besides sting people) does anyone know?

Advertisement