Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

• 03-07-2010 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Live Diamond league from Hayward Field on ATM on BBC red button

Kaki missing out on his WR attempt in the 1k but still a great 5k to come including 2 white athletes with sub 13 PBs in the last 12 months

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Diamond league action on BBC red button from now till 9 for anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

anyone know if the nationals are on the box on Sunday?

anyone know if the nationals are on the box on Sunday?

most likely a highlight show monday night as usual if i can get out thou may bring the camcorder and get what races i can (working evenings both days so bwill only get early races)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Any highlights on any of the TV channels tonight?

100 m mens on youtube atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

Diamond League from Paris featuring Mr. Usain Bolt on BBC3 Friday 16th July. Coverage starts at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Diamond League from Paris featuring Mr. Usain Bolt on BBC3 Friday 16th July. Coverage starts at 7pm.

Also Usain Bolt documentary on immediately after on BBC3

At what time is Bolt Doc on?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

YFlyer wrote: »
    At what time is Bolt Doc on?

9PM, on BBC3.

wgtomblin wrote: »
    9PM, on BBC3.

Cheers. Don't know if I have BBC3 on the regular Sky package

• Advertisement

Cheers. Don't know if I have BBC3 on the regular Sky package

Its in Other channels in services

ecoli wrote: »
    Its in Other channels in services

Excellent thank you. Just in time for the last lap of the women 1500m

Some time there.

Some time there.

At about 90% effort I'd say

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    At about 90% effort I'd say

Still suffering from his achilles is hoping to be fully fit in about 2-3 weeks according to his doctors

Pity he is not competing in the commonwealth games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have never seen BBC commentators do all bar ourright call a competitor a drug cheat than that russian who won the womens 1500m prior to the mens 100m. They are right mind, but it's rare to here them be so succinct about it.

Love Colin Jacksons' shirt. Saw him in Patrick Street in Limerick a number of years back.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have never seen BBC commentators do all bar ourright call a competitor a drug cheat than that russian who won the womens 1500m prior to the mens 100m. They are right mind, but it's rare to here them be so succinct about it.

I think it was because they were trying to compare to Chambers as he has not been in exile in terms of top quality race meets since his return from his ban. I think her 3 month ban was the difference in terms of the race organisers decision mind you

Inquitus wrote: »

To be honest though they were dead right to highlight that lady's history as was Dobrisky
    What a performance, to come back from a suspension and run the fastest time of the year

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    I think it was because they were trying to compare to Chambers as he has not been in exile in terms of top quality race meets since his return from his ban. I think her 3 month ban was the difference in terms of the race organisers decision mind you

What? Three months is not much of a ban

Bolt is the ticket.

The Jamaican accent comes out when he is been interviewed in Jamaica

This was the sanction given from the Russian athletic Federation and approved by the IAAF. there reason for giving the lighter sentence was said to be because she treated herself with an over the counter cough medicine. This appears to be common length ban for what appears to be genuine mistakes as opposed to intentional attempts at performance enhancing (not my opinion before people attack me just an observation on what Athletic Federations have deemed as genuine mistakes) and there are a few examples of such light sentences

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

For pseudoephedrine? It's commonly found in over-the-counter cold medicines. You want to ban her for life for this, no doubt. 3 months is OTT. DQ from the current competition and a public warning is loads.

The BBC commentators didn't just imply she was a drug cheat; they implied all Russian 1500m women are.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    For pseudoephedrine? It's commonly found in over-the-counter cold medicines. You want to ban her for life for this, no doubt. 3 months is OTT. DQ from the current competition and a public warning is loads.

The BBC commentators didn't just imply she was a drug cheat; they implied all Russian 1500m women are.

No not at all. Just didn't know the details

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭IrishTrackFan1

Isn't it a masking agent that can hide other substances in tests? Therefore it should be treated the same as those underlying substances since its intake prevents detection of those drugs.

FOr the record reported by Reuters about Alminova and her suspension:

"Seven other top Russian female athletes, including twice world 1,500 metres champion Tatyana Tomashova and world indoor 1,500 metres champion Yelena Soboleva, were handed two-year doping bans for manipulating their drug samples in 2008".

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the female Russian middle distance runners have more than a whiff of suspicion about them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Isn't it a masking agent that can hide other substances in tests? Therefore it should be treated the same as those underlying substances since its intake prevents detection of those drugs.

Is it? Have you a link? Best to tell WADA. They haven't got it down as a masking agent.
    W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the female Russian middle distance runners have more than a whiff of suspicion about them

You want to be suspicious of athletes simply on the basis of their nationality? And this is reasonable to you?

• Advertisement

Is it? Have you a link? Best to tell WADA. They haven't got it down as a masking agent.

You want to be suspicious of athletes simply on the basis of their nationality? And this is reasonable to you?

No I want to be suspicious of female middle distance athletes from a country with a very recent history of doping, entirely reasonable to me. This is entirely different from being suspicious of athletes merely because of their nationality.

Advertisement