Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you in your 30's and child-free by choice?

• 05-03-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,

This is my first post (nervous cough :o).

Anyway, I'm am just putting the feelers out as have been thinking of starting a social group in Cork for other child free people in thier 30's.

A bit about me:
    I am 33, female and although I have a great group of friends I have slowly over the past few years become the 'Odd one out' as I seem to be the only one without children. (This is by choice).

As much as I love my friends, it has come to the stage where it is almost impossible to have an uninterupted cup of coffee / chat with any of them. Worse, if there is a group of us together I find myself having to sit listening to conversations about nappy rash / breastfeeding / childminders etc.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat - I am not holding any of this against my friends. I fully understand that obviously when you have a baby this takes over your whole life, at least for the first few years and it is important to talk to other mothers about different issues.
    I just miss the old days when we could hang out and talk about a range of subjects or do anything remotely spontaneeous without them having to arrange babysitters at least a week in advance.

I'm just wondering if there are any other women out there who feel the same and would be interested in maybe getting together as a social group?
    Men - more than welcome also. Is it the same for child free men or do you even notice a difference among your friends???

Anyone interested in a meet up in Cork city please let me know - if nothing else perhaps it will start an interesting discussion here!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yup, 30 odd here, little or no interest in having kids. I'm just not the paternal type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Me, with kids?

Bahahahahaa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Nope.

Great idea though, hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

Me?Children?Sure I've hardly been born myself!

I'd love to have kids when I grow up, not ready at the moment, I struggle to look after myself tbh, not a great way to be but such is life............ I'm 31 :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sok2005

What if you meet up and end up hooking up with each other, by chance, one gets pregnant, are you then removed from the group?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I'm in My mid-40's.....Have 4 kids...

Banned from the Group even before it forms.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

By chance all my friends are also childfree. I'm not friends with them because they are childfree :) Is that enough to have something in common?

You find yourself having to sit listening to conversations about nappy rash / breastfeeding / childminders etc.

I find myself having to sit listening to conversations about ridiculous nights out / men not calling women back after a date / wasting money on completely useless stuff etc but I still wouldn't turn my back on my friends just because they are at a different life stage.

The childless and the childrearing can unite! There's enough segregation in the world!

Any chance of getting a spot of babysitting from ya?

sok2005 wrote: »
    You find yourself having to sit listening to conversations about nappy rash / breastfeeding / childminders etc.

I find myself having to sit listening to conversations about ridiculous nights out / men not calling women back after a date / wasting money on completely useless stuff etc but I still wouldn't turn my back on my friends just because they are at a different life stage.

The childless and the childrearing can unite! There's enough segregation in the world!

Babysitting?

From Moi? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 OddOneOut

I'm not turning my back on my friends either - expanding your social group does not mean disregarding your existing friends. Having peers is an important aspect of any society, hence the formation of social groups who share common interests / lifestyles.

Also, the childrearing and the childfree (I hate the term 'childless' - it suggest something is missing from your life that should be there) can certainly unite - they do so everyday. No one calls it segregation when parents groups are formed.

As I said, I'm just putting the feelers out to see if there are people out there interested in something like this - if not it's no big deal. I won't be forcing anyone into anything or declaring war on parents or anything :p !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

SexyGuy wrote: »
    Banned from the Group even before it forms.. :D

I was going to make a Simpsons reference to the No Homers Club, but I have a feeling it would backfire on me with your username. :pac:

Knasher wrote: »
    I was going to make a Simpsons reference to the No Homers Club, but I have a feeling it would backfire on me with your username. :pac:

Give it a lash..

We're here for the fun..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

35 and childless. All my friends keep telling me I don't know what I'm missing - I wonder have they looked in a mirror lately at the bags under their eyes :eek:

I'd be game to meet up, it'd be like a motors meet or a Cork city meet (Still haven't gotten to one of those though:mad: ) so nothing new for boards - introducing random groups of strangers.

What do you think OP/folks, anyone up for meeting some day/night?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Yes, I'm in my 30's and child free by choice. It's my second choice though. It's difficult to find a hoe you can put up with...

starch4ser wrote: »
    Yes, I'm in my 30's and child free by choice. It's my second choice though. It's difficult to find a hoe you can put up with...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

sorry to gatecrash, I think it's a great idea! I'm in my 30's and I have no desire to have children,.Just becuase I'm a woman it doesn't mean you automatically want kids! Society makes you feel like there's something wrong with you if you're not married and have no kids :mad: . I have beautiful nieces and nephews that I love and I love spending time with but I like my own space and like spending time with people my own age with no kids.

I don't want to offend anyone but I sit with married women and men at lunch in work and all I hear about is childbirth, babies..and all things children (mostly the women I may add). It is their choice to have children and mine is not to. I for one, love being single and having no kids. As OP said they have parent groups, why not have childfree (not childless) groups! Just my two cents..:D

This thread has gone quiet -- so do you all want to meet up?

And what about locations to meet?
    1. Cinema
    2. A restaurant
    3. A coffee shop
    4. Pub
    5. Bierhaus/Franciscan well (bit different to the normal pubs) or a similar venue
    Is there any other venue people would like to meet in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 OddOneOut

Gone a bit quiet alright.

Well the aim was to see if there was interest in a group but I guess not. :rolleyes:

Oh well, nothing ventured and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

There seem to be plenty of kindred spirits.
    If you want to organise something, then suggest a time and place.

It's the only way to get something organised online, (speaking from experience), if you leave it open nothing will happen. go for it!

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    There seem to be plenty of kindred spirits.
    If you want to organise something, then suggest a time and place.

It's the only way to get something organised online, (speaking from experience), if you leave it open nothing will happen. go for it!

Good advice deRanged,

I'll bite - What about upstairs in Pucchinos cafe in Paul Street (facing onto Paul Street Square) on Wednesday this week at 7pm?

Shane (see I'm even using my real name :eek::eek::eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Widye

Id be interested in this too! Any ideas for a meet up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

wrong, new parents are mindnumbingly insuffurable when they get together

al28283 wrote: »
    wrong, new parents are mindnumbingly insuffurable when they get together

And childless people in bunches are so frickin rock n roll :rolleyes:

Widye wrote: »
    Id be interested in this too! Any ideas for a meet up?

Go with something simple like a cup of coffee to let people get aquainted and then organise something better for the 2nd meeting?

And childless people in bunches are so frickin rock n roll :rolleyes:

That's childfree you mean - childless is different ;)

Malari wrote: »
    That's childfree you mean - childless is different ;)

:D:D:D:D Each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm a mature 28.

Ageist thread is ageist. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78050199&postcount=52

There is a Boards meetup taking place on Friday if anyone wants to join us. I'm afraid there may be someone who DOES have a child but you can always avoid them :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Would be the best idea. Not like people are gonna talk about their kids at a boards meet up.

Advertisement