Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish Coins

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Sack wrote: »
    Hi all,

I heard recently that an Irish 20p coined in 1986 was worth a bit of money. Is this true and if so, how much is it worth roughly?

Thanks in advance.

Then you heard wrong. I already answered this question on this thread. This is the post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55478357&postcount=18

It's the 1985 20p thats very rare. The only scarce 1986 coins are the halfpenny, 10p and 50p which were only minted to complete the official 1986 set and not released into general circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 aby1

Hi, I just registered tonight so I hope I get this right and post in the right place.

I'm trying to find out if some old banknotes are of any value today. My boyfried recently found some that he was given a few years ago....they are:

1 £20 dated 21-3-62, signed whitaker and (somebody!) Some tears

3 £1 dated 17-9-70 and 17-5-74, signed whitaker and murray, 2 ok, 1 with tears

1 £1 dated 17-7-89, can't make out signatures, very good condition

1 £1 dated 15-11-43, signed Adams. Looks more English than Irish but it's got bank of ireland on it so???

Few coins too but still trying to figure out what some of them are and where they're from.

Hope someone can help (Thanks in advance):)

Bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GUNMONEY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chopper71

Hi,

I'm looking for the Irish 5p coins from about 10 years ago, just wondering if you would know where I could find them in bulk. Tried the central bank but they said they dont sell old coins to the public !

Any thoughts, let me know. Looking for several hundred.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭hippychippy

Anyone know if an 1805, george 111 Irish penny, is worth anything?? good condition

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Depends what you mean by "good" condition. If it was uncirculated with original red lustre remaining then yeh, otherwise no, not really. They are quite common.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Chopper71 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for the Irish 5p coins from about 10 years ago, just wondering if you would know where I could find them in bulk. Tried the central bank but they said they dont sell old coins to the public !

Any thoughts, let me know. Looking for several hundred.

Thanks

I have a few hundred of them here. Pm me for further details.

Also if anyone knows wher ei can get the coin display cards. Empty ones so i can put my coins into. E.G. the decimal set display cards. I know you can get them in georges street arcade but i am looking for a large quantity of them. any help would be greatly appreciated

Why don't you ask him for price on bulk, let me know what price he quotes you and I'll tell you if it's a good price. I presume you're talking about the clear hard plastic cases with the inserts. Theres at least 4 different types of those. If this is a new venture for you I would advise you not to get carried away as decimal sets and even pre decimal "type" sets don't fetch much money. Particularly when they are made up of common dates, or even worse circulated coins. I would advise you test the water first by buying a few cases.

Cool thanks for your advice. I was in georges street the other day and all i could get were the decimal ones with no hard case just a plastic pouch thing. I bought a couple just for my own use. think they were €1.50 each. Myself and the girlfriend have come across 100's of coins her dad had. Just thinking of doing something with them. Do you know where i could get the display boards and or the hard plastic covers for them? Thanks again :)

He'd be able to get them for you too, just tell him what you want. 1.50 is fine for the inserts with a soft pouch. The ones with the hard cases should cost around 3-4 euro. I get them from the same place he does, it's from a dealer who doesn't have a shop and only deals with the trade. You need to decide exactly what type of sets you want to put together, theres a few different decimal and a few different pre decimal types and also a Euro one.

• Advertisement

Great. Sure i can ask them to get me some. Thanks a million for your expert advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

hi there ive got an irish coin which dates in the late 1800s its got a large circumfrance, in comparisson to other coins, dont no wat its called, could ya tell me bout it and if its valuable

you could look it up on www.irishcoinage.com ;)

regob wrote: »
    hi there ive got an irish coin which dates in the late 1800s its got a large circumfrance, in comparisson to other coins, dont no wat its called, could ya tell me bout it and if its valuable

Not without a picture of both sides no, it could be anything for God sakes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GUNMONEY

No Irish coins were issued in late 1800's.
    Irishcoinage.com might not help.
    Try ebay go to coins if you can tell what country even better and type in the date. You should find something that matches
    If not post a picture.:)

regob wrote: »

It could well be an undated Irish token. I think it's safe to assume he/she doesn't know the actual date as they just said "late 1800's". Anyway to ask such a broad question like that is just plain silly, they didn't even describe what was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

hi I've a full set of year 2000 coins from 1p up to both pound coins - Are these worth anything at the moment?

will they ever be worth much?

thanks

Looder

looder wrote: »
    hi I've a full set of year 200 coins from 1p up to both pound coins - Are these worth anything at the moment?

will they ever be worth much?

They'll never be anything to write home about, at least not in your lifetime. The official 2000 Mint uncirculated set from the central bank shot up in value when the Euro came in and is now worth around 80 Euro. Circulated coins are generally not worth a damn unless they had an extremely low mintage, history has shown that circulated coins haven't even kept up with inflation and that was through more troubled times over the last 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Hello im new to this section of boards but have been interested in coin collectingfor a while...my late grandmother had a lot of coins from all over the world if anybody could help i.d. them that would be great...

Also, could anybody tell me if this coin is worth anything..

Its a 1937 penny on one side there is a woman in battle dresswith union jack shield and a trident with a lighthouse in the background....

On the other side there is a head with writing saying

GEORGIVS VI D:G:BR:OMN:REX F: D:IND:IMP

Thanks

It's just an English penny and unless it's in mint uncirculated condition with lustre still remaining, then it's not worth anything. Some keydates of this series worth noting are the 1902 low tide variety, the unique 1933, 1950 and 1951 "Bermuda".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_British_penny_(1901%E2%80%931970))

While some questions can be answered by description only, it would be better if people posted a scan or photo of the coins they want information on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AidanMurphy13

I'm not sure ... maybe 2 0r 3 euro for the lot.

Try the collectors shop in blackrock market on any weekend. The guy in there sells that type of thing and he'll know for sure. He has a free coin identification and valuation service for people that do not know what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Phantom Crapper

dermo88 wrote: »
    Which kind of Pound note

The Queen Maedhbh (Famine Victim lookalike) Pound note will fetch up to 5 or 6 Euro, depending on date and condition. Variants from the 1970's are relatively scarce now. Later versions in circulated condition, you will be lucky to get 2.50 to 3.00 Euro for these now.

The Lady Lavery, traditional Irish Pound, can fetch anything, put up the serial number, date of issue and condition, I can make a rough guess.

Any tears on the note, and I mean any, will seriously ruin value. They can be worse than penmarks.

Surface damage to the ink and paper, will also have an effect.

To get anywhere, notes have to be in very good condition, close to mint condition to hold their value above and beyond inflation. Plenty of people keep a few from a changeover and find their value has decreased beyond inflation. There are notable exceptions to this rule in Ireland. Ploughman Pound notes, in any condition are extremely rare.
    I have a Ploughman Pound note in very good condition. Can you advise on worth please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I have a Ploughman Pound note in very good condition. Can you advise on worth please?

alot......look at the ebay link bellow.... about 440 euro if listed correctly...and if you find a collecter they may offer you more
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Royal-Bank-of-Ireland-PLOUGHMAN-NOTE-%A31-8-8-1934_W0QQitemZ120420140965QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090514?IMSfp=TL090514131003r18630

just make sure its not a repro.... ive seen a few of them on
    http://www.irishcollectables.com/acatalog/NotesandCoins.html

ound a jar of coins recently....
    lots of pennys from the start of the 20th century...
    6 or 7 halfpennys.....
    a couple of irish coins...
    a malta coin
    nothing speacial
    except for a 1858 shilling in vf condition
    and a 1792 dublin hibernia minning half penny token
    http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/coine.php?image=img12/ire-hpt&desc=Dublin%20Token%201/2%20Penny%20(1792)%20Hibernian%20Mining%20Co.&query=Dublin%20hibernian
    that (above) is a good example. on mine 1 side is almost completly eroded and on the other you can only slightly make out the woman with the harp and the words "of parliment".

not worth much except for the 1858 shilling.

Mousey- wrote: »
    on mine 1 side is almost completly eroded and on the other you can only slightly make out the woman with the harp and the words "of parliment".

Well, being worn it isn't worth much, however if it says "Parliment" (unless you spelt it wrong) it would be one of the scarcer forgeries. I don't mean that forgeries of this token are scarce (they are very common), but the forgeries with the misspelt "Parliament" are scarcer. Still not worth much because of the condition but a point worth nothing.

Blade wrote: »
    Well, being worn it isn't worth much, however if it says "Parliment" (unless you spelt it wrong) it would be one of the scarcer forgeries. I don't mean that forgeries of this token are scarce (they are very common), but the forgeries with the misspelt "Parliament" are scarcer. Still not worth much because of the condition but a point worth nothing.
    i doubt it.... the guy who used to own the house didnt collect coins, im guessing he just threw them all into this jar... they have been in the shed nearly 30 years.

i just spelt it wrong, i wasnt looking at the coin at the time.

Mousey- wrote: »
    i just spelt it wrong, i wasnt looking at the coin at the time.

Just like the counterfeiters 200 years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

I have a George V 1912 coin
    GEORGIVS V D. G. BRITT:OMN: REX F.D.IND:IMP:

Any idea on it's worth?

I have a George V 1912 coin
    GEORGIVS V D. G. BRITT:OMN: REX F.D.IND:IMP:

Any idea on it's worth?

if its a penny not much...depends on denomination (shilling,florin, half crown etc....)
    and the grade (codition) of the coin

ohhh and blade i was thinking more about the fakes from china. i seen a guy on ebay selling them saying "dont buy originals, mine are better looking"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

It's a Gold Sovereign, the back of the coin shows George slaying a dragon.

Advertisement