Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building milking parlour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

delaval wrote: »
    I am using White rhino twice daily but installed a brisket board and this has really helped. I put in a new concrete yard beside cubicles and let cows stand for half an hour after milking to allow sphincter to close in teat after milking. I also mix in a teat conditioner to the teat spray Btw tbc is between 6 and 12 every test

What's a brisket board excuse my ignorance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

What's a brisket board excuse my ignorance!

It's placed at the front of cubicle bed 5'6" from the step. Stops cows going up too far and soiling the bed. I'll post a pic tomorrow as I have afternoon off and will be in the yard in the am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Lads what' have ye all got against technology in parlours.whatever about meters acrs are a must I think if your goibg tobyhe expense of putting in a new parlour.ive a 14 unit wit a heap of gizmos and the obe I really wouldn't be without is the acr .withoutvthem you'd proably need a second person in parlour unless you want to be tearing up and down the pit like a blue arse fly.no over milking and prep work before milking done correctly.on meters they do a hell of a lot more than just record volume and conductivity.when building my parlour I wanted something that would require one person in parlour all year and that is what I got.i will milk 110 on my own in aroubd an hour once quotas go.dont know how ye lads with x breeds stop over milking from August on in 20 unit parlours with no acrs and one man milking.jersey you seem to have the nuts and bolts of ur farm(cows ,grassland etc) well in place so why not spend a few extra quid in the place where you will do most of your work and make most of your money????.

parlour has been built for the last ten years, were using pur old 6 unit. All stall work is done and concrete work.
    On mahoneys point about tech, id live it too, bit im paying for land and trying to build it up and ive alot of money to put into housing, im bedding cows and heifers here everyday because i havent enough housing, and theres a few opportunities coming down the line that i can double my numbers, from 150 post 2015, when i get them numbers that is l. so i dont want to have a big fancy parlour in thats going to be too small and of no use to me.

jersey101 wrote: »
    parlour has been built for the last ten years, were using pur old 6 unit. All stall work is done and concrete work.
    On mahoneys point about tech, id live it too, bit im paying for land and trying to build it up and ive alot of money to put into housing, im bedding cows and heifers here everyday because i havent enough housing, and theres a few opportunities coming down the line that i can double my numbers, from 150 post 2015, when i get them numbers that is l. so i dont want to have a big fancy parlour in thats going to be too small and of no use to me.

Spot on Jersey, have to creep for a while. I have a farm rented with brand new facilities massive cubicle shed built in 09, and the reason I'm there you guessed the 250k shed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

It's placed at the front of cubicle bed 5'6" from the step. Stops cows going up too far and soiling the bed. I'll post a pic tomorrow as I have afternoon off and will be in the yard in the am

What you using for brisket board? I've got hold of a few lengths of 4 x 3 that I'm planning on screwing down tomorrow. Do you find 5'6" a good distance for incalf heifers and bigger Cows when in together?

• Advertisement

KCTK wrote: »
    What you using for brisket board? I've got hold of a few lengths of 4 x 3 that I'm planning on screwing down tomorrow. Do you find 5'6" a good distance for incalf heifers and bigger Cows when in together?

I used 20' lengths of Jfc 6" drainage pipes. 5'6" was suggested dont know measurement for heifs of large hols

Just doing a few sums while i was milking,
    By the time i put in new parlour and bulk tank and feeders it will have cost me 7,133 a unit to build parlour, inc. Conc, rails, machine , tank, feeders.
    Now if i put in pig feeders i can bring this price down to 6,333.

Seeing as i have a diet feeder, should i put in the batch feeders?

Just doing a few sums while i was milking,
    By the time i put in new parlour and bulk tank and feeders it will have cost me 7,133 a unit to build parlour, inc. Conc, rails, machine , tank, feeders.
    Now if i put in pig feeders i can bring this price down to 6,333.

Seeing as i have a diet feeder, should i put in the batch feeders?

Jersey what exactly are you getting for 2590-3000 per unit ? Seems pricy to me

Jersey what exactly are you getting for 2590-3000 per unit ? Seems pricy to me

pipe to big enough for 20 units, swing over arms, low line wash and a dump line.

That was a rough estimate but accurate enough id reckon.

Any one else able to tell me what they paid per unit for it.

pipe to big enough for 20 units, swing over arms, low line wash and a dump line.

That was a rough estimate but accurate enough id reckon.

Any one else able to tell me what they paid per unit for it.

20 unit s/h 8k with electric work done
    Tank s/h 15k
    3k other bits
    Fitted into 4 span shed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Viewtodies figures here said alot about the cost of a new 10unit parlour: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85529902&postcount=7

23000grand for a 10unit with 8000 of a grant, so that works out at 1500/unit after the grant.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Viewtodies figures here said alot about the cost of a new 10unit parlour: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85529902&postcount=7

23000grand for a 10unit with 8000 of a grant, so that works out at 1500/unit after the grant.
    Ye sorry didnt mention that my figure was before grant. Were getting the proper figure for the parlour this week, id be hoping for it to be coming in below 2,700.

I wont be going second del, thats for sure, by the time ye have it taken out and put back in it will still cost a good bit.

Tnks Tim saves me writing it up again. Feed troughs included in that.

I personally think Leinster has alot more scope than say likes of Tipp/Cork to really ramp up milk production post quotas, there is far more tillage land up here, so good scope for either greenfield conversions, or high stocking rates of 3-4units/ha, with bought in fodder. I've heard of afew local tillage farmers who are sick of the large fluctuation in grain prices, and are very interested in forage crops for local livestock farmers. Would suit me fine.

I wont be going second del, thats for sure, by the time ye have it taken out and put back in it will still cost a good bit.

I wouldnt rule it out myself. It would have to be a very fresh parlour however. But anyways, in fairness, once you can just cut the whole frame out, and transplant the lot straight into your parlour I can't see it being a huge challenge. Taking your figure of 2700, 40% grant on that drops the price down to 1600. Is that the figure with vat, or ex vat? Anyways, contrast that to dels figure of 8k for a 20unit, 400quid/unit, huge saving in fairness! Thats a decent few extra heifers paid for!

I wouldnt rule it out myself. It would have to be a very fresh parlour however. But anyways, in fairness, once you can just cut the whole frame out, and transplant the lot straight into your parlour I can't see it being a huge challenge. Taking your figure of 2700, 40% grant on that drops the price down to 1600. Is that the figure with vat, or ex vat? Anyways, contrast that to dels figure of 8k for a 20unit, 400quid/unit, huge saving in fairness! Thats a decent few extra heifers paid for!
    Well the big thing for me is that i can extend it to a 20 unit parlour with the bigger line, if i buy s/h i cant do that. I might never extend it to 20 units but incase i get the chance at the land beside me i have the option. Were not registerd for vat here so will be paying for that. A lad in my discussion group got a s/h 20 unit parlour with all the extras in england 3 yrs ago but he went to alotbof effort to get that,
    Sure by the time you go look at all these second hand parlours it can be a day goneand alot of them are well clapped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Around here a hell of a lot of lads are so caught up on expansion and increasing herd size and aint looking at the big picture.Why go milking mad nos just to say youve 100 cows or 200 cows and then have totally inadequate accomodation or parlours that take 2 lads to milk and 3 or 4 hours a day in the parlour.The best guys around her are `consolodating what they have for now by improving their parlour or putting adequate accomodation in lace for current nos and maby 10% more.nitrates directives still have to be followed and adhered to.Milk wont always be making 39 cen base.Extra cows mean extra cost and not nesecrally extra profit,More cows also mean more slurry storage more feed to conserve more vet costs etc.expand with caution .this country aint new zealand with its land and herd size oppurtinities never mind its climate

Around here a hell of a lot of lads are so caught up on expansion and increasing herd size and aint looking at the big picture.Why go milking mad nos just to say youve 100 cows or 200 cows and then have totally inadequate accomodation or parlours that take 2 lads to milk and 3 or 4 hours a day in the parlour.The best guys around her are `consolodating what they have for now by improving their parlour or putting adequate accomodation in lace for current nos and maby 10% more.nitrates directives still have to be followed and adhered to.Milk wont always be making 39 cen base.Extra cows mean extra cost and not nesecrally extra profit,More cows also mean more slurry storage more feed to conserve more vet costs etc.expand with caution .this country aint new zealand with its land and herd size oppurtinities never mind its climate

but that was the reason we bought the farm. We didnt buy a farm to stey at 50 cows we bought so we could milk more.
    Thats the advantage here also i have a clean enough slate i can put accomodation for 150 cows in one area. With the parlour im not putting in the 20 units now i will only ever put them in if i get more land.
    We wouldn't have gone through the hardship of buying a farm if the figures didnt work, tge bank wouldn't have given us the loan either if they didnt either and i certainly wouldn't have gone farming if there wasnt money in it, well i enjoy it also so that has a factor.
    I dont want to be 10 years down the line and say fcuk i should have moved that tank over further. Im thinking towards the futur. Ive another 50 yrs ahead farming full time.

but that was the reason we bought the farm. We didnt buy a farm to stey at 50 cows we bought so we could milk more.
    Thats the advantage here also i have a clean enough slate i can put accomodation for 150 cows in one area. With the parlour im not putting in the 20 units now i will only ever put them in if i get more land.
    We wouldn't have gone through the hardship of buying a farm if the figures didnt work, tge bank wouldn't have given us the loan either if they didnt either and i certainly wouldn't have gone farming if there wasnt money in it, well i enjoy it also so that has a factor.
    I dont want to be 10 years down the line and say fcuk i should have moved that tank over further. Im thinking towards the futur. Ive another 50 yrs ahead farming full time.
    In no way criticising you jersey as you seem to be well on the way to been a successfull dairy farmer with a good herd of cows and good grazing infrastructure but cruically little or no accomodation for 150 cows .Stand off pads need to be ruled out as you simply cant milk cows off them so you really need cubicles for 150 cows and followeers as well as slurry storage and feed space for 150.Shed is prefered option or possibly topless cubicles but with them you need even more slurry storage to catch all the rain that falls from the sky.If you had our departement inspectors or county council inspectors i shudder to think what theyd make of a dairy farm with little or no slurry storage or sheds.Your first port of call would be as i said consolidation of what u have first namely get slurry storage and accomodation in place before you even consider expanding further

In no way criticising you jersey as you seem to be well on the way to been a successfull dairy farmer with a good herd of cows and good grazing infrastructure but cruically little or no accomodation for 150 cows .Stand off pads need to be ruled out as you simply cant milk cows off them so you really need cubicles for 150 cows and followeers as well as slurry storage and feed space for 150.Shed is prefered option or possibly topless cubicles but with them you need even more slurry storage to catch all the rain that falls from the sky.If you had our departement inspectors or county council inspectors i shudder to think what theyd make of a dairy farm with little or no slurry storage or sheds.Your first port of call would be as i said consolidation of what u have first namely get slurry storage and accomodation in place before you even consider expanding further

oh no dont get me wrong i know your not criticizing.
    my idea is build one big tank for the cows and just cover over the cubicles. I can do this in phases, tank next year, cubicles year after and the like. I will then have all the room i need for young stock and calving cows.
    If you look on the outdoor cubicle thread and go back a few pages you will see my idea. Ive seen these covered cubicles before and i think there a nice job

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=mahoney_j;87674577Stand off pads need to be ruled out as you simply cant milk cows off them so you really need cubicles for 150 cows and followeers as well as slurry storage and feed space for 150.[/QUOTE]

He could split the herd, and milk the winter ladies indoors, the rest outdoors, be it a pad, topless cubicles or those covered cubicles. We always use to outwinter 10/15 drycows in a sandy sheltered paddock, access was the biggest problem we had, feeding the cows meant driving through and ploughing up other paddocks for access, but I might well extend the laneway to it in the future and use it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

I used 20' lengths of Jfc 6" drainage pipes. 5'6" was suggested dont know measurement for heifs of large hols

How long have you those in I trialled it and the cows were denting and breaking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Well the big thing for me is that i can extend it to a 20 unit parlour with the bigger line, if i buy s/h i cant do that. I might never extend it to 20 units but incase i get the chance at the land beside me i have the option. Were not registerd for vat here so will be paying for that. A lad in my discussion group got a s/h 20 unit parlour with all the extras in england 3 yrs ago but he went to alotbof effort to get that,
    Sure by the time you go look at all these second hand parlours it can be a day goneand alot of them are well clapped out.

Put in a 14 unit here with all new pipelines/pulsators/stainless steel pans/20 unit stallwork and kerbing for 16,000 installed, milking machine lads are absolutley creaming it, the real winners in all the expansion post 2015 will be these boys its basically daylight robbery.

keep going wrote: »
    How long have you those in I trialled it and the cows were denting and breaking them.

This is the first year.

When an opportunity presents itself you MUST take it. If I hadn't driven on cow numbers and did without buildings I wouldn't have been able to pay for the land and quota I bought.

There are absolutely loads of opportunities in Ireland if you look in the right places with an open mind, but if a person wants to play safe there is a good living to be made either way. Putting an add on the Journal as I see some doing is a waste of time. Depends on your make up and your goals I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Were not registerd for vat here so will be paying for that.

Don't forget even though your not registered you will be claiming all the vat back on this parlour so the cost ex vat is your real cost.

Any way back to the other question i had, would i be aswell to put in batch feeders seeing as i have a diet feeder or buy better feeders?

When an opportunity presents itself you MUST take it. If I hadn't driven on cow numbers and did without buildings I wouldn't have been able to pay for the land and quota I bought.

There are absolutely loads of opportunities in Ireland if you look in the right places with an open mind, but if a person wants to play safe there is a good living to be made either way. Putting an add on the Journal as I see some doing is a waste of time. Depends on your make up and your goals I suppose

Agree re opportunities and taking them but in taking extra land you have yo look at the extra cow nos,slurry storage,accommodation,milking facilities etc.i would regard myself as optimistic and open minded as regards expansion and taking a chance or 2 but it will be a thought out and well judged one.i don't want to be a slave to the job and slave to the banks.nitrates directives is a big concern when expanding in this country and when I hear story's here and else where about how people out winter cows etc I cringe to think how they'd get on if any of our north tipp inspectors carried out any farm inspections.you need sheds and slurry storage for your required no of cows end of .timmay made a good point earlier that ye lads in the east have much more opportunities for expansion with all the tillage land.in this part of the country it's a different kettle of fish,land is gold and scarce and makes up to 300 an acre .i wouldn't pay that to loose money on it even though I have a fairly efficiently ran dairy farm.thsts a lot of the reason I seem to have different views than some of u guys.i have my milking block,fertile land ,dry land and facalaties in place to stock it at 3.5 Lu per he.

Any way back to the other question i had, would i be aswell to put in batch feeders seeing as i have a diet feeder or buy better feeders?

Parlour feeders of some sort definetly jersey.either that or cows will have to be feed at feed rail daily and diet feeder will be going all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

keep going wrote: »

Water main would be a better job , wouldnt be cheap though.

Advertisement