Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought new iPad in US, getting No Service when I put in Meteor Sim, Help?

• 25-06-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Bought an iPad wifi + 3G in America.

Ive got a meteor microsim inserted, but all it says is no service.

I've tried connecting to meteor manually with no luck.

Could someone help?

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Did you call Meteor to have the micro-sim activated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

I wasn't aware I had to do that, sorry.

I rang them, they said its activated and told me on APN to enter broadband.mymeteor.ie and then to reboot... But still no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I'm guessing now but it could be a faulty micro - sim, to rule this out you'd have to get another micro -sim card preferably from different network provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The other nasty possibility that you need to rule out is that some US carriers (Verizon, Sprint) use US only frequencies for 3G which will not work in Europe.
    They advertise a specific model that will work outside the US.

It might be worth asking Apple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kenyard

i thought that they worked on differnt bandwidths to us or whatever... well they do for phone networks which i assume is teh same as mobile broadband...
    either way it should support both or they would be making different chips for european and us markets... which is very possible i suppose...
    i might look into it later,
    but best bet for the moment is to try a different micro sim and see if you get any luck.. could just be some setting either like

I specifically bought the AT&T version to try avoid that.

I rang meteor again after the previous attempt didn't work and another guy said it was still in the process of activating.

I'll give it till tomorrow and then panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Perhaps its a silly question but are you sure you have Meteor coverage in your area?
    Does it show the sims phone number, network name, Meteor carrier file in Settings - General - About?

Also, does the SIM work in a phone?

Well I've got a meteor phone, and I live generally close to the city.

I just checked 'About'

And no, they don't show up?

Well I popped into the Meteor store, it was just a dodgy microsim, thankfully. The 20GB for €10 was too good to miss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement