Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethernet cable splitter?

• 16-01-2009 8:21pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here, as im not very good with wiring, etc.

I have Irish Broadband. I want to get Xbox Live, however, the little black box thing (i believe its called a modem) that they gave me only has one Ethernet socket.

Right now, i don't mind whipping it out (the ethernet cable, that is) from the back of the PC and putting it into the 360, as they are pretty much right beside each other. However, come next week, the 360 and the PC will be on opposite sides of the room. The ethernet cable doesn't reach and i don't want the hassle of having to unplug the wire and keep moving it around.

Can anyone tell me a good, quick way around doing this?

I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110330144775&indexURL=

but the item description confuses me
    • Points to note:
      • These MUST be used in pairs

So im at a bit of a loss.

Random googling suggests i buy a router, but i don't even know what that is :o

Also, when/if i do find something that will help, I'm going to have to buy another ethernet cable (for the xbox to the modem). I noticed on ebay there are a few different colours available. Does colour mean anything? or is it just for decoration?

Thanks a lot for any help i can get with this. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have Irish Broadband. I want to get Xbox Live, however, the little black box thing (i believe its called a modem) that they gave me only has one Ethernet socket.

Get an router...

This one, or if you want Wifi as well maybe this.

I don't know what a router is though. I mean, i've a vague idea, but i don't know what to do with it upon actually getting it Or how helpful it will be.

(im assuming a router is a modem with more than one socket?)

Will i have to reconfigure my internet setting on my PC? is it just a case of putting it in where the medem is and forgetting about it?

I'm really not knowledgeable on that kinda thing, which is why i was originally opting for an ethernet splitter kind of idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You can't just split ethernet, I'm afraid. When a chunk of data comes in from Irish Broadband, it needs somewhere to go within your house. If there's only one thing plugged into it, thats no problem, but if there are more, you need something to figure out where to put it.
    That's a router's job. It routes the incoming traffic to the appropriate computer (or xbox), depending on who asked for the data to begin with.

You have setup a static IP on your PC at the moment. You'll need to set this up on the router instead (easy enough), and set the PC back to the way it was (easy also). I presume the same will have to be done on the xbox.

You will still be using Irish Broadband's modem - the cable coming from it (that goes to your PC) will instead go to the router, which will have 4 other ethernet ports to plug your PC, Xbox etc. into.

There'll always be someone on here to help you out with whatever.

Hey again all,

Just topping this with one more question:

Is it true that if i buy a router, my 360 and my PC must have different IP addresses?

If so, how do i go about doing that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hey again all,

Just topping this with one more question:

Is it true that if i buy a router, my 360 and my PC must have different IP addresses?

If so, how do i go about doing that?

Just assign them different addresses yourself or let the DHCP server in the router do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yes, any router you buy will have a thing called DHCP whereby it will automatically assign an IP address to both your Xbox and your PC. You probably wont have to configure anything at all. Just buy the router, plug it into the modem (it will probably have a port specifically for that) then buy two ethernet cables, plug one from the router to the PC, one from the router to the Xbod and it will probably set itself up, or the router's manual will tell you exactly what you have to do.

Advertisement