Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

emo72 wrote: »
    alastair, its not possible. if 3.5 billion is taken out of the economy this year and then the same the following year, well then its over. the economy will not bear it. the economy is a basket case, im in business, i speak to colleagues and the word on the street is very bad. many shops have gone bang, many more will go too. nobody has money to spend, the economy will not grow.

people will not be paying the property tax when its introduced, by necessity, not by choice. what then? jail? FFS they cant even keep murderers in jail.

it wont be an issue to a lot of people then anyway, cos they will all be on waivers due to being unemployed.

So lets just keep borrowing the money to run the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

lividduck wrote: »
    I'm also in business and can verify that, the vat rate increase is the last straw.
    You cannot create economic growth by reducing spending, its just not possible. Money being spent in the economy creates a multiplier effect, but the geniuses in government just dont get that at all

I think they're familiar with Keynesian economics. Who are you going to suggest they borrow this additional seed capital from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Roverek

alastair wrote: »
    My point is that, while the existing debt commitments might well be unattainable, the ability to walk away from some of them requires that we put our domestic taxation on a solid footing. .

Yes!!! tax first and then we deal with croke parke and its fat cats... if we have time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Lets tackle the bloated, overpaid, cosseted public service, their unions and the CPA.
    €505 million a year to teachers on top of their wages and 3 months holidays a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I'd like to declare the nationwide protest against the disgusting household charge a success. Congrats to all who believed it was wrong to cough up to fund the bailout. We've already done our part,and sadly,will continue to do so, with penal tax rates, VAT, Motor tax increases etc etc. No good delaying promissory note payment, thats all smoke and mirros I'm afraid. Need to burn them, but our government are a bunch of fraidy cats. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvpower wrote: »
    Why should anyone accept the rough count of an individual over the consensus figure of the media and the Gardai.?

What reasons would the media and Gardai have for underestimating the number? The organizers have an obvious interest in overestimating it.

Like I have said I have witnesses it on several occasions. Can't even remember the purpose of the protests but the numbers were played down. One of them could have been the O.A.P.'s march to the Dail but i'm not sure.
    The numbers that matter are the one who have/have not paid.

Roverek wrote: »
    Yes!!! tax first and then we deal with croke parke and its fat cats... if we have time.

Heh - you've great faith in the untapped riches to be garnered from overturning the CPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm loving the capitalisation! I believe we've dipped below the magic MILLION point now though.

Not when you take out the freebies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Lets tackle the bloated, overpaid, cosseted public service, their unions and the CPA.
    €505 million a year to teachers on top of their wages and 3 months holidays a year.

He argued we can't afford to take money out of the economy, cuts to teachers pay and public service pay is taking money out of the economy.

Keep the kids in school 24/7/365!

• Advertisement

Heh - you've great faith in the untapped riches to be garnered from overturning the CPA.

Don't upset the PS and their unions. Give them what they want at any cost.

Is this not half the reason we're in the ****e we're in?

Blackmail.

Not when you take out the freebies.

Yes when you take out the freebies. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread. It's only going to become more and more obvious as the evening progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

no absolutely not. i dunno where you got idea from?

keep borrowing we're screwed.

don't borrow we're screwed.

when we nationalised private debt, thats when it became game over. we ran out of choices that day. either the troika allow us to write off debt or.......we default. not arguing with anyone here, thats my view. it seems clear to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

It's silly to desire a stable and sustainable tax base

No Al, it isn't.
    to get us out of the mess we're in?

That's not what this tax is about Al. It's about paying German bankers and grossly overpaid State "servants".
    No-one's 'happy' to pay taxes, but some of us accept that it's a 'good' thing to do so in the face of the alternatives.

Actually, I'm quite happy to pay taxes. But not to pay for German banks' gambling debts.

That's why 1,000,000 million households haven't registered.

It's really rather simple Al. :rolleyes:

Keep the kids in school 24/7/365!

Give them 4 weeks like everyone else and re-deploy them somewhere else for the other 8!

Blackmail.

Care to articulate where you're going to sort out our debt issues in the spending associated with the terms of the CPA? Not sloigans now - actual breakdowns of savings to be made, and what proportion of national debt they write off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Blackmail.

Don't blame all the PS.

Give them 4 weeks like everyone else and re-deploy them somewhere else for the other 8!

Re-deploy them eh? And what about the teachers? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Like I have said I have witnesses it on several occasions. Can't even remember the purpose of the protests but the numbers were played down. One of them could have been the O.A.P.'s march to the Dail but i'm not sure.
    The numbers that matter are the one who have/have not paid.
    So, you think there is a conspiracy between RTE, independent media organizations and the Gardai to under report numbers on anti government protests?
    Have you been on to Jim Corr about your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

120 people left my nearby small town this morning at 7am to join the protest. from those i personally know that travelled,not one of them has ever been in trouble or broke the law in their entire lives. decent hard working honest people that can recognoise a scam when they see one.
    some of these people voted FG/LAB into power on the promise of fairness, to make the right choices and hold those who destroy our country to account. instead FG/LAB have continued the same policies as the FF/GR/CORRUPT IND shambles. alternative choices are and will be still available if FG/LAB chose to take them or simply have the balls to do so.
    The 120 people i mentioned who joined similar groups from each and every corner of Ireland represent the 1 MILLION who refuse to pay this charge.
    They will return at 9pm tonight and will be cheered from their buses,admired for the heroes they are. Hats off to them.:)

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    Don't blame all the PS.

When I say PS, I mean the ones on bloated wages and allowances not the average PS worker.

You want them to have another job?

Re-deploy them eh? And what about the teachers? :p
    Give them 4 weeks paid leave and 8 weeks unpaid.

washman3 wrote: »
    The 120 people i mentioned who joined similar groups from each and every corner of Ireland represent the 1 MILLION who refuse to pay this charge.

Again with the capitals! (It's not a million any more).

No they don't. They represent the 5-10 thousand who support the campaign against the tax. What the intent or motivations of anyone else (paid up or otherwise) isn't known to any of us.

When I say PS, I mean the ones on bloated wages and allowances not the average PS worker.

That's ok then.

Give them 4 weeks paid leave and 8 weeks unpaid.

That would be very unfair imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

hondasam wrote: »
    You want them to have another job?

Thats up to themselves. Not many other jobs pay for 3 or 4 months holidays a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

Well, No's
    Are ye getting ready for lynching.
    I keep hearing about law abiding citizens.
    Not many of them this afternoon when an innocent man who happened to look like somebody else was lynched.

shame on you all.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Thats up to themselves. Not many other jobs pay for 3 or 4 months holidays a year.

It's not the teachers fault.

• Advertisement

So - your concern isn't actually the CPA in general at all. I'm even more eager to hear how the bloated fat cat portion of the CPA will turn the tide of our debt hole. Breakdowns please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement