Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

littlebug wrote: »
    There was a near disaster when the dog jumped onto the treadmill with me :eek: I'm not sure which of us got the biggest shock when she went flying:D

This made me laugh out loud!

I take it the dog has learned to keep away from the nasty machine now? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Emer911 wrote: »
    This made me laugh out loud!

I take it the dog has learned to keep away from the nasty machine now? :pac:

I've stayed away from it myself!

Yea the fifth day might be a challenge but since I'm on the road at least twice a day every day with the dog at the minute it shouldn't be hard to turn some of those into (short and slow) runs.

you're flying at the minute Emer!

HH week 1, day 1 called for 3 miles so 3 (and a bit) miles it was.
    10.06/ 9.37/ 9.13 and .3 cool down slowing down to a walk by the end.
    Intervals tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck over the next 12 weeks LB - Enjoy!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yeah, best of luck with the HH plan. It does help to have a plan. I'm not sure what I'm doing - no plan, no race ahead...... I better sign up to something I suppose. ;)

• Advertisement

HH called for 5x400@5k pace. Given the slippy footpaths this evening I was yet again confined to the TM. Actually not a bad thing for me for keeping the pace up for intervals.
    Trying to turn the kms into miles I did 2 mins 10 sec @7.5mph (8 min mile) with recovery 1 min 50 sec @6pmh (10min mile) with .5m warmup/ down either side. Total 3 miles.

3.5 slow stop/ start miles with the mutt. No harm having a slow day. My left shin is a bit achy after last nights intervals.
    It's probably time for new runners now that I think about it.

My shins were achy yesterday and time was scarce so I didn 't run (oops missed the 5th day already and only in the first week :o) It's been a busy and tiring weekend but I squeezed in 5 very slow miles @10.50 pace this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

''The unusual case of the aching shins and the flying dog''.....I see a title for a book littlebug ;)

i'm not doing so good on either keeping this up to date or with running 5 days. :rolleyes:
    Tuesday 3 miles easy peasy.
    Tonight: 4 miles tempo (I think)... total 4 miles in 40 mins and a bit, having built up to 8 min mile pace in the middle.
    I actually really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

i'm not doing so good on either keeping this up to date or with running 5 days. :rolleyes:
    Tuesday 3 miles easy peasy.
    Tonight: 4 miles tempo (I think)... total 4 miles in 40 mins and a bit, having built up to 8 min mile pace in the middle.
    I actually really enjoyed it!

I was having a not-so-hot logging/running week too. I'm hoping tonight will close the door on that. Nice run last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yeah good run last night, 8 min mile - impressive!
    It keeps the spirits up for sure.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Yeah good run last night, 8 min mile - impressive!
    It keeps the spirits up for sure.

Yikes I may have misrepresented myself there! I didn't actually run an 8 min mile:o I was 8 min pace for all of oh... maybe 2 minutes! Though at peak I was running at between 8-8.30 pace for maybe 5 mins which I'm happy with. Either side of that was gradual build up and down from/ to 11 min pace at either extreme.

I was out bright and early this morning at Knockma with the dog. She loved it , didn't try to kill any other dogs along the way and I may have even run slightly faster than usual trying to keep up with her. I didn't time it as I hadn't charged the garmin :rolleyes:
    Doubled back at the end to make up 3 miles.

Knockma- 2.8 miles with the dog again. I took it a wee bit easier since I had more miles to do after. This dog will be the death of me... running at speed down the hill and she stopped dead in front of me requiring me to do a last minute jump over her (twice...with expletives ).

Drove home, refuelled and did another 4.2 miles. I found it hard to get going again and it was slow but that's a nice 7 miles done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Knockma- 2.8 miles with the dog again. I took it a wee bit easier since I had more miles to do after. This dog will be the death of me... running at speed down the hill and she stopped dead in front of me requiring me to do a last minute jump over her (twice...with expletives ).

Drove home, refuelled and did another 4.2 miles. I found it hard to get going again and it was slow but that's a nice 7 miles done today.

LOL. Speedy reflexes by the sounds of it! Although if you ran into the dog (just the once!) she'd probably not stop like that in front of you again!? :P

oops two weeks with no update :o Running has been going about as well as the log has... there's been no sticking to plan at all and it's just been a matter of getting out when I can and doing whatever miles I can fit in.:o I haven't even kept track of my mileage so I'll have to hazard a guess to add to my 1000 mile tally.
    Now with 8 weeks to Connemara it's time to get my arse in gear.
    this evening.... 3 miles easy :rolleyes:

Welcome back!! 8 weeks? Jebus, don't be flinging statements like that around so flippantly!:pac:

Time has been difficult to find with kids taking it in turns to be sick and off school:(
    Anyway... still getting a few miles in here and there, not following any plan at this stage :eek: 6 miles today @10.20 with 4@10ish in the middle. Plus a few x3 miles on the tm during the week. At this rate I'll be lucky to get to the start line in Conn never mind the finish!

Just posting my weekly update to keep myself honest :rolleyes: Total 16 miles this week with 7 today and various bits on the TM during the week. I gotta get off the treadmill.. found the 7 miles tough going today. Average pace 10.30 but there were a couple of breaks... including one just to look at some ducks :o
    ITB niggly towards the end. I've a feeling Connemara will be looked upon as a training run for..:confused: something else as yet undecided. I just haven't done the ground work to give Connemara a decent effort. Ah well... I'm hardly the runner of the century... not the end of the world as long as I'm enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

not the end of the world as long as I'm enjoying it.

You can put this to music.:D Keep trucking on. Targeting a race too soon can put you under pressure, create undue disappointment and take the enjoyment out of what is supposed to be a hobby.

Nice Spring weather this week. Take the pooch out for a trot ;)

:o:o
    and I haven't run since....:( I've a list of reasons excuses the length of my arm but I won't bore you with them.

So... Connemara won't be happening obviously and it's too late to defer so if anyone is looking for a place ;) so that's a bit of a pain. Talk about an irrelevant thread title :rolleyes: Maybe it'll give me something to aim for next year.
    The (loose) plan now is to get back to basics and aim for a 5k in Athenry on 3rd april and 10k in Castlebar at the start of May. I'll stick to short distances for now rather than making any grand plans.
    So now that I've embarrassed myself by updating this log I will do 3 miles tomorrow.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So... Connemara won't be happening obviously and it's too late to defer

This is a huge pain in the arse, particularly because I broke myself 5 days after the closing date for deferrals :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

That's a bummer, littlebug. You'll soon be up and running (:o) again. Perhaps an autumn marathon to focus the body and mind?!

This is a huge pain in the arse, particularly because I broke myself 5 days after the closing date for deferrals :pac:

I know... if I had just admitted it to myself a few days earlier....:(
    ronanmac wrote: »
    Perhaps an autumn marathon to focus the body and mind?!

:eek: I'm having trouble getting myself motivated for a 5k Rónan, marathons are far from my thoughts at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The (loose) plan now is to get back to basics and aim for a 5k in Athenry on 3rd april and 10k in Castlebar at the start of May. I'll stick to short distances for now rather than making any grand plans.

The short stuff is fun - I personally feel too many head straight for the longer stuff - race every week through the Summer and have fun ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Seems to be a few of us at the moment backing it all up.

Here's hoping we can all get mojo back and get a few short runs in at least over the coming months.

Doing it for the joy of it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's no point in forcing yourself through a marathon training programme if you're not enjoying it - stick to the shorter stuff if that's what you're in the mood for.

3.1 very enjoyable miles this morning. I took the dog with me and she didn't try to trip me up once though we did have a few pit stops (the dog not me:p). I ran my ususal route in reverse which meant going up the big hill rather than down it.
    It felt like I was keeping a reasonable pace up though I didn't time it. It was quite funny though when I was huffing and puffing up the hill and the dog beside me had slowed to mere stroll :rolleyes:
    Right thats me started again..... I'll aim do that same run 3/4 times this week and next and see how I get on in Athenry (on Mothers Day!). There's not much info online about it yet. I wonder if it's the same route as the 5k series one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Good to see you back running again. Enjoy the short races over the next few months and get the love back again.

5k in Athenry is over the same route as the 5K series alright.

Advertisement