Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt spending €10 million on PS/CS car parking facilities

• 24-04-2012 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Austerity measures seem to be taking place across the country, (depending on whom you work for)

When will the rest of us start to get fuel allowances, and paid for parking spaces? Some folk seem to be paid a salary, but other day to day expenses, (fuel, parking spaces etc etc) get paid out on top of that.

The gravy train is still steaming ahead, hopefully not for much longer.

Madness.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0423/govt-spends-10m-on-car-park-spaces.html

It has emerged that more than €10m is to be spent this year on renting car parking spaces for civil and public servants who do not pay for the privilege.

The State owns 9,479 car parking spaces around the country according to data supplied to the Public Accounts Committee by the Office of Public Works

However, because these numbers are insufficient, a further 2,967 spaces are being rented in Dublin at an average cost per space of €2,428.

While in regional areas, there are 1,608 spaces leased by the State at an average cost of €710.

The total cost nationwide is €8.34m.

The OPW also estimates a further €2m is spent on car parking costs in buildings where parking spaces are included with the rent.

A total of €10.3m is being spent annually paying for car parking spaces around the country for civil and public servants, who pay no fee or tax in return for the benefit.

Minister of State with responsibility for the OPW Brian Hayes told RTÉ News today that it is not acceptable that such a large amount should be spent on car parking spaces. He said he has asked for an entire review of the situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Round em all up and burn them.....shower of dirty leeches destroying the country with their free parking spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

not yet wrote: »
    Round em all up and burn them.....shower of dirty leeches destroying the country with their free parking spaces.

or you could just stop the free parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

They're entitled to it..You're a begrudger, Anyway, the politicians get paid more & the bankers*

*Saved the public service a few minutes of typing there so they can focus on their work

davet82 wrote: »
    or you could just stop the free parking
    Most factory workers in this country get free parking, anyone who works in blanchardstown centre gets it to, too name but a few. Why then do Joe public seem to jump at the first chance to attack anything to do with the PS

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Big dilemma here for the government. Hayes is right, it's a disgrace that the taxpayer is paying for parking for the protected species in the civil service....BUT:....most of the car parking space is in NAMA and therefore if it's not paid for, the same taxpayer will be the one to foot the bill.

It's a similar catch22 to the upward only rent issue

The best solution would be to give the civil servants an interim (taxable) allowance for parking so that the bill is reduced. And phase the allowance out over say 3 years.

• Advertisement

Most factory workers in this country get free parking, anyone who works in blanchardstown centre gets it to name but a few. Why then do Joe public seem to jump at the first chance to attack anything to do with the PS

Does that get paid out of money from the exchequer, or is it private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Most factory workers in this country get free parking, anyone who works in blanchardstown centre gets it to, too name but a few. Why then do Joe public seem to jump at the first chance to attack anything to do with the PS

I bet if you were offered a move to Blanchardstown you'd refuse it (or look for some sort of compensation)
    Most people working in cities don't get free parking..FACT

sorry you should have added an emoticon like so :rolleyes:

believe it or not as obvious as your post was, you'd be surprised the amount of people on here who would mean a post like that :)

anyways if its upsetting so many or costing so much i say get the bus (if possible) its just not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

micropig wrote: »
    Does that get paid out of money from the exchequer, or is it private property?

I think the Local Government rates pay for this parking.

danmanw8 wrote: »
    Most people working in cities don't get free parking..FACT

if its costing the state money then stop paying for the parking but if some people are gettin free parking because its available and is costing nobody any money then let them have it

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    I think the Local Government rates pay for this parking.

Local Government pays for this parking for factory workers and people in the private sector....

What planet are you living on..Planet delusional - Population: Public sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They should set up a 'working party' to review the situation, pay them plenty so as to encourage them to actually do the job...then never mention the results of their review and forget about the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

This is outrageous.

Fcuk em...let them all eat cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kevincaomhin

if its costing the state money then stop paying for the parking but if some people are gettin free parking because its available and is costing nobody any money then let them have it

Agree. But I think they should go a step further. Look at all Departments that have free parking (i.e. not privately rented) available (e.g. Custom House, Hawkins House, Govt Buildings) and assign those spaces to Civil Servants on the basis of lack of public transport and distance travelled to work.
    (i.e. a Clerical Officer commuting from Kinnegad should be more entitled to a space than a Principal officer from Rathgar.)

Agree. But I think they should go a step further. Look at all Departments that have free parking (i.e. not privately rented) available (e.g. Custom House, Hawkins House, Govt Buildings)

Or better still rent them out to the private sector.

(i.e. a Clerical Officer commuting from Kinnegad should be more entitled to a space than a Principal officer from Rathgar.)

management makes the decsions buddy, i do agree but not in a million years would that happen :pac:

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Or better still rent them out to the private sector.

ah-ha i though nobody in the private sector had any money! ;)

management makes the decsions buddy, i do agree but not in a million years would that happen :pac:

But don't the non-management staff have unions to speak for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

PS Public Sector
    PS Private Sector

We need something better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

Agree. But I think they should go a step further. Look at all Departments that have free parking (i.e. not privately rented) available (e.g. Custom House, Hawkins House, Govt Buildings) and assign those spaces to Civil Servants on the basis of lack of public transport and distance travelled to work.

A lot of government departments only have limited parking though. I worked in 3 different government departments and never had parking. In fact in one of the offices (Revenue) there was (on average) a 5 year waiting list. You only moved up that waiting list if somebody retired, left the dept on a promotion or died.

In Agriculture on Kildare St you only get parking for a portion of the year (3 months I think).

I agree that the limited spaces should be divied out based on where the person is commuting from and not how long you have worked there.

ah-ha i though nobody in the private sector had any money! ;)

You mean other than the Banks and all the developers that Nama is funding?

micropig wrote: »
    But don't the non-management staff have unions to speak for them?

true but i still couldnt see it happening imo

if you are a receptionist in a big multi national company, ya dont park in the ceo's spot now, its the chain of command and i think it would be very hard to justify even in the PS

juan.kerr wrote: »
    You mean other than the Banks and all the developers that Nama is funding?

ok point taken :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I don't see this as being too unreasonable to be honest, lots of private companies supply parking or give parking allowances to employees. There's plenty of more serious things to get outraged about in government spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

danmanw8 wrote: »
    BUT:....most of the car parking space is in NAMA and therefore if it's not paid for, the same taxpayer will be the one to foot the bill.

You got a link to back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Kinnegad?

Hmmm, if only we could move civil service jobs out to Tom Parlon country and then there would be no commute

What a great idea :)

• Ghandee wrote: »

When will the rest of us start to get fuel allowances, and paid for parking spaces? Some folk seem to be paid a salary, but other day to day expenses, (fuel, parking spaces etc etc) get paid out on top of that.

A number of multinational companies provide fuel cards and car allowances/company cars to people of a certain grade, I see no reason why the public sector shouldn't do the same. Parking is an necessity not a privilege and should be provided by all employers imo.

However certain people are blinded by the begrudgery bandwagon when it comes to the public sector.

A number of multinational companies provide fuel cards and car allowances/company cars to people of a certain grade, I see no reason why the PS shouldn't do the same.

However certain people are blinded by the begrudgery bandwagon when it comes to the PS. Also parking is an necessity not a privilege and should be provided by all employers imo.

Is there a lack of public transport to Kildare Street/ the other ineer city places mentioned? Luas Park & Ride.

What about decentralisation..I'm sure there would have been ample car parking space in towns other that Dublin, but ye didn't want that.

Do multi nationals take money from the Exchequer to mother their staff with fuel cards and parking?

Also go work in the private sector if the benefits are so much better.

• Advertisement

• micropig wrote: »
    Is there a lack of public transport to Kildare Street/ the other ineer city places mentioned? Luas Park & Ride.

What about decentralisation..I'm sure there would have been ample car parking space in towns other that Dublin, but ye didn't want that.

Do multi nationals take money from the Exchequer to mother their staff with fuel cards and parking?

Also go work in the private sector if the benefits are so much better.

I never said I worked in the public sector.

Multinationals do receive huge tax breaks and grants for setting up here, so technically yes they do get money from the exchequer. I totally agree with giving them the tax breaks and grants by the way.

Advertisement