Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore needs to be sorted ASAP!

• 16-03-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I am from Tramore and a few months ago I moved back to Tramore after living in the Midlands for years. I missed the coast so much and my family and friends.

I now live right beside the beach which is great. The sad thing is...how badly littered it is from the lifeguards hut all the way to the sand dunes. Mainly of fishing ropes and nylon thread, I had to pick up several fishing hooks yesterday. Also, I notice condoms and sanitary towels alot but one of the main things has to be dog poo, the funny thing is...many are actually in the bags but then the bags are just left there.

Being a dog owner and regular walker myself, I must say...there is not enough bins on the walk trail to the dunes. Infact I think there's only two and they're are tiny and broken. So, where can the dog owners put the bags of poo?!

Yesterday when I walked to the dunes, I was shocked to see THREE life saving ring bouys missing from their boxes, from the car park down to the dunes there was NO LIFE SAVING RINGS!

So much needs to be done to sort this town and help with the tourism also. It infuriates me how so much money was spent on the most rediculous steps and sculpture across from the Majestic Hotel when that money was needed for sooo much more important things.

In the past few years I have spoken to many people from other parts of Ireland who think Tramore has gone to the dogs and they said they use to love it and visit regularly.

Where do we begin to sort this?!

Should I edit this post into a letter and send it to the County Council and local politicians? I dont know where to begin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rogue.goofball

Interesting.
    I was thinking of going to Tramore with the kids in the summer. I was there about 30 years ago as a kid myself. Thinking twice about it now after your honest appraisal.

With regards of what to do... I think many of the problems you raise say more about our society (or it's breakdown), rather than the problem of County Council per se.
    Yes there should be bins every few hundred meters, but if people who have dogs wont carry a bag of their dogs crap, then they really shouldnt be dog owners.
    If the council put three new lifebuoys out tomorrow I'd be fairly sure after next weekend, some drunk clown would have made one disappear.

All that said, you are right, the council do need to make an effort to keep the place clean, as otherwise people will come once and once only, and tell their friends why.

I like your honesty, so perhaps you can help me... I was thinking of self-catering accomodation in Faithlegg or Waterford Castle, and then travel aroudn the local beaches (like tramore and Dunmore). Are these hotels decent - Faithlegg gets very mixed reviews, but "should" hit all the ticks for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

From what I have heard of Faithlegg and Waterford Castle through the years, I know them as fairly "fancy" places, regularly used for Golf holidays and weddings so that is a good sign but I admit, i have never been to either (and Im from Tramore, I know :rolleyes:).

I do suggest you get accommodation outside Tramore though because I dont believe our hotels are up to scratch. There are many lovely restaurants to visit for lunch and dinner. The holiday apartments are nice though.

I honestly think your children will enjoy Tramore beach alot though and the amusements and arcades ofcourse. All that area is clean and the main part of the beach along the prom etc is also clean. Sadly the tide brings in fishing junk on other parts of the beach. There are also so many other beautiful beaches in Waterford. Infact today, my boyfriend and I drove along the whole Copper Coast and it was fab.

Some beautiful hidden beaches where you can have lovely picnics and the kids will be safe rather than in big crowds on a busy beach.

I hope this helps you in some way, if you have any more questions, just PM me if you want. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tramore hasn't a major litter problem, nor does the beach. In general there are community groups and businesses who do a fine job of keeping it clean, but they are not there all the time which is understandable. The issue of rubbish around the promenade area has been there for years, but its not something that should put you of visiting the town. The Tidy Town reports for Tramore each year are more and more positive, similarly other litter surveys back that up. Overall, the issue is improving big time.

Tramore is a busy seaside resort, which gets a lot of Irish & International tourists, especially throughout the summer months. Its a popular resort and many people come away happy after their visit. The issue of rubbish does come up, but most people understand and don't let it take from their holiday. Why?

Because Tramore has much more to offer. You can stay in one of many fine establishments in Tramore - from Hotels, B&Bs to Apartments. B&Bs in particular are popular in Tramore, and we proudly have many 4 star B&Bs which offer fantastic accommodation. Lets not forget about those family run houses, which offer pricing like the hotels and provide a great breakfast, comfort and homely atmosphere. You can rent from the likes of Pebble Beach if you want an apartment, many have been refurbished and are in a great spot. While we don't have 4 or 5 star hotels, the local hotels offer some great value and service. Your not left short of places to stay - if you don't like hotels, there are many other options. People can stay in the town center, or up away from the hustle and bustle.

There is great dining to be had in Tramore, so if you want a snack or a full dinner you can get great value, food and service from the fantastic choice of Restaurants Tramore has on offer. There are many great things to do in Tramore, or the surrounding area of the South East which has loads on offer. Surfing, for example, is very popular in Tramore with the likes of well established surf shops like Tramore Surf Shop which offer great deals for families. Bring the kids to indoor play areas like RunAMuck, Pottery Place or Laserblast.

There is, to be fair, a lot of stuff to do in Tramore and places to stay. Great places. So many do leave Tramore after enjoying their stay and while rubbish does come up as an issue, to many its not the biggest issue with their stay and overall they go away very positive about their stay.

I have raised the issue about litter and lack of bins numerous times, and I am regularly told that the council do not have the funds to increase bins, or increase bins (and generally rubbish) collections. Sadly, we live in a society which seems to increase the use of private organisations and businesses "sponsoring" areas to make them look more attractive - its not just in Tramore this is done, but across Ireland. I never fully understood the point because this is exactly what taxes are paid for, and business rates go towards - the local council. But instead we have others doing the job for the council in parts and it still doesn't offer relief to the council who seem to still struggle.

I fully agree with comments here looking for more bins across the beach but in Tramore as a whole. Simple bins will do, nothing fancy. But it seems if we get them - they wont be emptied, especially on busy days. Its one area we need to work on though as we need tourists and visitors to Tramore to leave with a proper lasting impression without any negatives, especially a simple one such as rubbish.

All I ask is - don't let the rubbish put you of the good work and business that you can visit when in Tramore. There is a lot to do and it would be a shame for Tramore to decline in other areas while we try address the issue of rubbish, which is being worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Sully,

Don't get me wrong. I never said Tramore is not a nice place. It's where I was born. It's my home town and I'm very proud of it and I always suggest it to tourists when they ask where to visit. Always!

But, you must go walk along the beach and see what's there. I am embarrassed when I see sanitary towels and condoms etc. People don't want to bring their children and picnics to a beach littered with them and fishish junk. I know there isn't much...if you read my post, I did make it clear that it's mainly only from the life guards hut and a few yards towards the sandhills.

I have spoken to many people through the years (I have lived in Dublin and Kildare for a few years) and many have said it's not like it used to be but I always give them the positive sides to it and recommendations of where to go.

About our hotels, I have worked in a few of our hotels and you can tell from the outside also. The Majestic needs a desperate make over. It's looked the same since I was a kid. The Sands is gone. O'Sheas...no comment and The Grand...that needs a major renovation inside. Again, that has looked the same for decades also.

Our B&B's though, yes, we have many lovely ones of them and also fab apartments. The same with our restaurants and bars. Many are great.

But do you not remember when the green area around the prom was neatly cut and the lake was clean? I do but sadly it is no more. I believe all that green area could be a fabulous big park for children and families rather than over grown grass and semi-bog.

Those stupid steps and sculpture thing across from The Majestic Hotel infuriates me...all that money used for that could of made that fabulous park.

And what about the life saving rings on the beach...they still have'nt been replaced!
    But all in all, I still love Tramore and I will always recommend it to people to visit. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Sully,

Don't get me wrong. I never said Tramore is not a nice place. It's where I was born. It's my home town and I'm very proud of it and I always suggest it to tourists when they ask where to visit. Always!

But, you must go walk along the beach and see what's there. I am embarrassed when I see sanitary towels and condoms etc. People don't want to bring their children and picnics to a beach littered with them and fishish junk. I know there isn't much...if you read my post, I did make it clear that it's mainly only from the life guards hut and a few yards towards the sandhills.

I have spoken to many people through the years (I have lived in Dublin and Kildare for a few years) and many have said it's not like it used to be but I always give them the positive sides to it and recommendations of where to go.

About our hotels, I have worked in a few of our hotels and you can tell from the outside also. The Majestic needs a desperate make over. It's looked the same since I was a kid. The Sands is gone. O'Sheas...no comment and The Grand...that needs a major renovation inside. Again, that has looked the same for decades also.

Our B&B's though, yes, we have many lovely ones of them and also fab apartments. The same with our restaurants and bars. Many are great.

But do you not remember when the green area around the prom was neatly cut and the lake was clean? I do but sadly it is no more. I believe all that green area could be a fabulous big park for children and families rather than over grown grass and semi-bog.

Those stupid steps and sculpture thing across from The Majestic Hotel infuriates me...all that money used for that could of made that fabulous park.

And what about the life saving rings on the beach...they still have'nt been replaced!
    But all in all, I still love Tramore and I will always recommend it to people to visit. :D

I completely agree and understand where you are coming from with your concerns re: rubbish on the beach. The Tidy Towns & one local business does a good job cleaning the beach regularly. A lot of stuff is probably washed in, which doesn't help. For me anyway, it doesn't matter if there is a small amount or a large amount - if we have rubbish constantly on the beach, than its not good enough and doesn't leave the right impression. The problem seems to be funding not being available to have cleaners (which has got worse due to cut backs) and not having money to purchase bins and/or empty any bins that we have on a regular basis.

We only have three star hotels in Tramore, so they are different to the four stars. The exterior of the Majestic is currently (as we speak!) being given a good lick of paint and there has been some work on the outside. This is ongoing. The Grand Hotel has some recently renovated rooms, to the best of my knowledge. Both hotels offer some great offers to tourists, with great events. Its very hard in these current financial times especially to invest money into your business to make it look better, especially when Tramore is mostly busy only during summer periods.

If your looking for 4 star luxury, the nearest you will get in Tramore is one of the B&Bs which have been awarded 4 star in the last year or so - many B&Bs don't mind you having a quick look at the room before you agree to stay also, many have fantastic websites where you can see exactly what your getting before you stay. I'm not sure how the hotels operate in terms of that anyway.

The green area by the lake does have plans for a park. It has been in a state of disrepair for sometime, and the council are looking at investing in that area with work having started a few months ago, the start of an entrance to the park was recently completed opposite the Majestic which will eventually have water flowing over them into the park (to the best of my knowledge).

The issue of the untidiness has been raised and I can only hope will be improved as much as possible soon. The one thing that drives me insane is how money is being spent, on areas that don't need as much attention to other areas that need a good clean up. I think the money spent on the sculpture was a different fund though, that all councils have to keep separate for art work. Would be nice for work started on the park entrance was instead invested in cleaning up part, or all, of the park.

I also think that business owners play a part in keeping the front of their premises clean, many of whom do already, but its hard in these times I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I think those steps look well and sure at least that part of the park is now finished. Maybe the money could've been spent elsewhere alright as it cost something like €150k, maybe more, I can't remember the exact figure. That wouldn't be enough to fully develop the park on its own, but could've gone a long way.

That 'art sculpture' is hideous though and was funded from a % of money that had to be spent on an art sculpture. Pity they chose the ugliest possible thing going, and for €60k too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just wandered in here for a look, would normally post in the city forum, but I was thinking of Tramore beach recently and find this thread interesting.

Personally I walk dogs out there normally once every two weeks. Mine don't clean out while there, but I haven't noticed much around the place on my walks either.

The issue I noticed most of all recently was the huge amount of stones on the beach. You literally can't walk on the main strand a lot of the time now. Last weekend I was there I past a visiting couple who were disappointed to see the lack of sand and were turning back. I sent them to the back strand.

Can the stones be collected from the beach like what you see in the likes of Spain, or does this cause damage to the environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

I personally think Tramore has lost some of it's charm down through the years, like a lot of places, but I still like it but not in the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I hope the Majestic is nice as I am checking in there tomorrow (Sun 1/4) for a few days break in Tramore!

When I was a kid we packed up our belongings and made the long trek to Tramore for our summer holidays. We used to go for 4 weeks and we rented out a house. As a kid Tramore was magical: the fantastic beach, the amusement park, the arcades and the weather was always great!

As it turned out I ended up doing my degree in Waterford RTC. So overall I have great memories of Waterford.

I haven't been in Tramore in a few years. I'm looking forward to taking it easy and checking out a few spots. I am just going to stay in Tramore and I'm not going to travel around as I am only there for a couple of days.

I am based in the Midlands and we have the same problem with dog fouling and littering. I think myself it's an Irish thing. Is it a lack of education re: littering your own town or not picking up after your dog?

Anyways I am looking forward to a couple of days relaxation in Tramore. The memories are flooding back already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Sorry all for hijacking this thread.

I've been down by the new park, well the new steps a couple of times now, all is really lovely and peaceful but what I don't get is that they can spend that much in making a picnic area yet put no bins there?

Me and the family were down there, had a picnic during the last few days of sun and when we were finished we were horrified to see no bins! We had to carry the rubish back to the car, no bags nothing, destroyed the car.

Overall, there are plenty of places in Tramore that need renevations more then others. We want to keep the town clean and keep the reviews positive or else we will start loosing the tourists and that's all we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

bit of a positive for ye all not sure about the prom yet but there has been no fouling logos spray painted over most of tramore last week there on most footpaths around the town centre havent seen any on the prom yet tho

paultf wrote: »
    I hope the Majestic is nice as I am checking in there tomorrow (Sun 1/4) for a few days break in Tramore!

When I was a kid we packed up our belongings and made the long trek to Tramore for our summer holidays. We used to go for 4 weeks and we rented out a house. As a kid Tramore was magical: the fantastic beach, the amusement park, the arcades and the weather was always great!

As it turned out I ended up doing my degree in Waterford RTC. So overall I have great memories of Waterford.

I haven't been in Tramore in a few years. I'm looking forward to taking it easy and checking out a few spots. I am just going to stay in Tramore and I'm not going to travel around as I am only there for a couple of days.

I am based in the Midlands and we have the same problem with dog fouling and littering. I think myself it's an Irish thing. Is it a lack of education re: littering your own town or not picking up after your dog?

Anyways I am looking forward to a couple of days relaxation in Tramore. The memories are flooding back already. :)

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Tramore. :)
    lee3155 wrote: »
    Sorry all for hijacking this thread.

I've been down by the new park, well the new steps a couple of times now, all is really lovely and peaceful but what I don't get is that they can spend that much in making a picnic area yet put no bins there?

Me and the family were down there, had a picnic during the last few days of sun and when we were finished we were horrified to see no bins! We had to carry the rubish back to the car, no bags nothing, destroyed the car.

Overall, there are plenty of places in Tramore that need renevations more then others. We want to keep the town clean and keep the reviews positive or else we will start loosing the tourists and that's all we need.

Its a good start alright, re: the park. Bins are an issue throughout Tramore due to funding, bar a few penguin bins which are new. There seems to be an attitude by a few that people should just bring their rubbish home with them or carry to the nearest bin and stop complaining. Its not something I agree with though - bins should be provided and tourists should not be expected to carry their rubbish around with them.

Hopefully its something that will be sorted sooner rather than later though, but its been an issue for a longtime.
    jamiecoins wrote: »
    bit of a positive for ye all not sure about the prom yet but there has been no fouling logos spray painted over most of tramore last week there on most footpaths around the town centre havent seen any on the prom yet tho

Indeed, a Tidy Towns initiative and I believe more bins for dog fouling will be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The lack of bins problem is very serious indeed, walking around many areas of tramore and you will see there are not many bins around, but what can you do when nobody can afford them?

Tramore just needs to focus on what it wants and what's its future is. The council should be planning to spend on specific ideas instead of wasting money on silly things like the statue down by the majestic hotel.

Tramore needs to think big and investment is needed also. But as a community Tramore also needs to come together and help around the place.

Tramore's make or break time has come, the last 2 summers have been quite poor and the place was quite dead.

Tramore needs to advertise itself as a tourist destination again, get people back into tramore.

With a lack of money these days and growing decay it's going to be one hell of a battle.

Advertisement