Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E3′s Dirty Little Secret

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's these grand assumptions again. 'Killing gaming'? Or indeed killing challenge? Not in the slightest. Yes, a mouse and keyboard is the preferable input method for certain genres, such as the FPS, RTS and very specific types of RPG. But the controller is still the optimum input method for several other genres. There's a reason Street Fighter IV players - and I think we can all agree SFIV, where the best players rely on individual frames for reaction time, is the pinnacle of required action times - use arcade sticks. Try playing that with a mouse and keyboard. They are more accurate for that given purpose, and I certainly don't think you could call SFIV an 'easy' game (the people who play little else will attest to that). Similarly, Cave shooters - with their insanely mathematical combo systems and challenging bullet patterns - are more at home on consoles and iPhones than they are with a mouse and keyboard. Try getting a good score in Akai Katana - every bit as demanding on the senses and reaction times as anything the PC has to offer. Geomotry Wars and similar twin stick shooters demand a good pad. Not to mention Dark Souls: designed from the ground up to reflect the strengths and weaknesses of a joypad. And you seem to forget that several of the hardest, most challenging games of all time - from Ghouls and Ghosts to the Megaman games - originated on retro consoles, which had even more limited reaction times (and the designers were inspired in the way they dealt with that). It's frankly a ludicrous statement to even for a second suggest that consoles and control pads by their very nature make games easier. Again, you just seem to be looking in the wrong places.

I also think challenge in itself is not the be all and end all. There needs to be a good mix. I wouldn't sacrifice the difficulty of Dark Souls, but nor would I want Journey to suddenly have a fail state. And maybe Watch_dogs is designed around tactics? Why would they make something take four or five buttons when they can do it in one or two? Not all streaming lining and efforts towards accessibility are worthy of vitriol. Only some of them ;)

As for the 'graphics' argument proposed a few posts above. I can only wholly agree that art design will make a game look infinitely more pleasing than mere tech specs. Crysis is certainly a shiny series, but is about as artistically ambitious as the Transformers films. Meanwhile, games like Rayman Origins are El Shaddai are closer in visual tone to 2001: A Space Odyssey or Spirited Away. Yes, a generation of solely cel-shaded games would be unfortunately one-sided. But I'd still take it over a generation bland, 'realistic' shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Mr E wrote: »
    There is so much wrong with this statement.
    Your loss, seriously.

Maybe, maybe not.. i've played some of the bigger games (Mario galaxy/zelda's) but honestly, the entire concept of motion control does not interest me... besides, i simply wouldn't have had the time (Or the money) to sustain buying games for 3 different consoles and a PC. Hopefully the WiiU hasn't got as many **** casual games as the wii had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I am so tired of the PC/console argument. Some people prefer a keyboard and mouse others like a controller. Some PC's are better than consoles, some PC's are worse. Consoles are amazing, PC's are amazing. Gritty first person shooters are brown and grey get over it they make up such a tiny % of the full market. Consoles have not restricted the gameplay of any games, its just the big sellers have changed. In a few more years something else will be the big seller and people will moan how they killed the FPS market.

If generic shooters bore you stop playing generic shooters. If you think games are not inventive or imaginative then broaden your choice there are hundreds of amazing inventive and imaginative games out there.

The next generation is very important as with every generation it brings far more than a graphical boost. They bring massive jumps in game engines playing any of the HD remakes of PS2 classics will show you just how old those game engines are compared to modern games. There is a new method of producing games coming on stream for the next gen that will not only make games look miles better but will allow the games to be made far quicker as it requires far less work on the part of the artists. Reducing production times and costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I am so tired of the PC/console argument. Some people prefer a keyboard and mouse others like a controller. Some PC's are better than consoles, some PC's are worse. Consoles are amazing, PC's are amazing. Gritty first person shooters are brown and grey get over it they make up such a tiny % of the full market. Consoles have not restricted the gameplay of any games, its just the big sellers have changed. In a few more years something else will be the big seller and people will moan how they killed the FPS market.

If generic shooters bore you stop playing generic shooters. If you think games are not inventive or imaginative then broaden your choice there are hundreds of amazing inventive and imaginative games out there.

The next generation is very important as with every generation it brings far more than a graphical boost. They bring massive jumps in game engines playing any of the HD remakes of PS2 classics will show you just how old those game engines are compared to modern games. There is a new method of producing games coming on stream for the next gen that will not only make games look miles better but will allow the games to be made far quicker as it requires far less work on the part of the artists. Reducing production times and costs.

AMEN !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Conor125

haha!

• Advertisement
Advertisement