Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Marguerite1

jeano8 wrote: »
    The private company that all of us women paid such a large amount to have this proceedure done with and who made so much money off us as it has now come to light that these pip implants were deemd unsafe up to 5 years ago and also consumer rights are saying that they should be held accountable as they must stand by their product or service in line with consumer rights and also healthcare professionals are saying that these private organisations hav a moral and legal obligation to the women that they operated on

Jean I've just joined Boards.ie today because I'm totally confused about what to do on this matter. I was in <snip> for a check up today because I have the PIP implants (from 2006). I am being sent to the <snip> for a scan to ensure that there is no rupture. The surgeon believes that my implants are intact from his brief examination, but the scan will confirm either way. I assume I will have the scan within the coming week or so.

If the implants have ruptured at all, they will be removed and replaced by <snip> for free. However, I should have asked if they can be removed and replaced because of the issues that have come to light.

The surgeon also told me that, if there is no rupture I should leave them in place and that I should plan to have them replaced in 2016 either way. However, I do see from other websites that implants should come with a lifetime guarantee.

Now I see this evening that the NHS in Wales is prepared to remove & replace the PIP implants for all women living in Wales who have them.

What upsets me as much as anything else is that I believed <snip> was an excellent clinic with extremely high standards. I now read that these implants were 10 times cheaper than other implants on the market. Yet my operation was not 10 times cheaper, in fact it was the most expensive clinic in Ireland at the time for this operation.

I'm angry with myself that I didn't ask the question about just having them replaced rupture or no rupture. I saw that one other woman went in to the surgeon with, what I presume, was her husband, and another woman went in with a friend. I just felt a bit on the back foot which is not like me. Maybe it is because of the type of surgery.....

I don't know what to do or what to insist on for the best. Any advise/help/support would be appreciated.
    Sorry this post is so long and all over the place. I'm very upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey lickle mushroom,

As there are other women posting in this thread who have been affected, I've moved your post here so you may discuss.

All the best. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

ted1 wrote: »
    I was just curious as to why someone would go straight down the legal route as oppose to getting a reply from the the hospital.

some of the articles have people looking for compensation, and are viewing it as nicer earner.

If there is a problem it should be addressed.
    I have contacted the imb the health deparrment the company i had the surgery with and no one wants to deal with it so what are we supposed to do? Just out of interest why such an opinion on this matter do you have the pip testicles

jeano8 wrote: »
    The private company that all of us women paid such a large amount to have this proceedure done with and who made so much money off us as it has now come to light that these pip implants were deemd unsafe up to 5 years ago and also consumer rights are saying that they should be held accountable as they must stand by their product or service in line with consumer rights and also healthcare professionals are saying that these private organisations hav a moral and legal obligation to the women that they operated on

Jean I've just joined Boards.ie today because I'm totally confused about what to do on this matter. I was in <snip> for a check up today because I have the PIP implants (from 2006). I am being sent to the <snip> for a scan to ensure that there is no rupture. The surgeon believes that my implants are intact from his brief examination, but the scan will confirm either way. I assume I will have the scan within the coming week or so.

If the implants have ruptured at all, they will be removed and replaced by <snip> for free. However, I should have asked if they can be removed and replaced because of the issues that have come to light.

The surgeon also told me that, if there is no rupture I should leave them in place and that I should plan to have them replaced in 2016 either way. However, I do see from other websites that implants should come with a lifetime guarantee.

Now I see this evening that the NHS in Wales is prepared to remove & replace the PIP implants for all women living in Wales who have them.

What upsets me as much as anything else is that I believed <snip> was an excellent clinic with extremely high standards. I now read that these implants were 10 times cheaper than other implants on the market. Yet my operation was not 10 times cheaper, in fact it was the most expensive clinic in Ireland at the time for this operation.

I'm angry with myself that I didn't ask the question about just having them replaced rupture or no rupture. I saw that one other woman went in to the surgeon with, what I presume, was her husband, and another woman went in with a friend. I just felt a bit on the back foot which is not like me. Maybe it is because of the type of surgery.....

I don't know what to do or what to insist on for the best. Any advise/help/support would be appreciated.
    Sorry this post is so long and all over the place. I'm very upset.
    I know exactly how you feel im still awaiting my company to even confirm if i hav the pip implants i have contacted the imb the health department looked all over the internet and we women in ireland seem to be kust ledt to our own devices with no direction from any governing body it is just so frustrating let me know how you get on with ur scan im still in limbo here

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Poppygal

To the ladies who have been affected....Had I found myself with these implants I would without a doubt be seeking legal advice. I would also be expressing all my concerns, with the hospital in question, in writing and keeping a record of all communication in writing.
    Most importantly though, if I were in this boat, I would be looking to gather some strength in numbers. If a large number of the affected ladies could somehow join forces, the chances of a satisfactory outcome would be greatly increased. Why don't one of you ladies get yourselves onto somebody like Ray Darcy, Joe Duffy, whoever and do a shout out and arrange a meeting with affected ladies to discuss a plan of action. Could be very beneficial for a number of reasons, seeking legal advice and sharing costs being just one!
    Good luck to you ladies and keep us posted on progress x

• Advertisement

Thansk Jean08 and Poppygal.
    I was hoping by joining the thread and by looking up what's happening on Boards.ie that I would know what other people are doing/demanding regarding their implants. I guess I just don't trust <snip> now to tell me whether they will replace them for free even if they are not ruptured.

Poppygal your suggestion to put my concerns/dissatisfaction in writing is spot on. I should have thought of that already but didn't, so thanks for that. What I'm going to do is have the scan in the <snip> and take it from there. I will update this thread once that happens.

In the meantime if anyone else knows what is being offered by the various clinics, please let us know. I would much prefer not to have a battle with the clinic on this and rather that they just treat everyone the same.

Also, I see 2 Irish solicitor's web-sites which have a lot of information concerning this matter. Obviously they are looking for effected women to contact them if they want to go down the legal route. But even if you don't want to do that to start with, the websites are worth having a look at.
    http://www.mccarthy.ie/category/blog/medical-negligence/"]www.mccarthy.ie/category/blog/medical-negligence/

www.lynchandpartners.com/pipdefectiveimplants.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

I am waiting to hear from <snip> if I had these implants. I had one implant in to recorrect breast assysmetry and unfortunatly the operation caused me many problems and I had to have further surgery due to infections etc. If I have a PIP implant it will be the last straw with this hospital, who I thought were a hospital with very high standards. Waiting for the phone to ring and I'm in a panic...

Hi Calgary, would you mind updating the thread to let us know if you have PIP. The reason I ask is that although I didn't mention it in my original posts, <snip> did not write out to me. They said that they contacted everyone who has the PIP implants in 2010, but I don't appear to have received the letter...... I'd be interested to see if others also didn't receive the letter.....
    Thanks!

Hi Marguerite,
    I am still waiting to hear back from them but I will update you when I find out, I will be calling them back again before close of business today if I don't hear back. The reason I haven't contacted them before now is that I thought they contacted all affected patients but it seems not, sorry to hear that. This is very distressing and upsetting. I had the op in 2007 and it seems others had PIP implants in <snip> in 2007 so I'm not holding out much hope.

Yes sorry Calgary, but when I asked them yesterday, they said 2005, 2006 and "some" in 2007. Maybe (hopefully) you are not one. They seemed very concerned that I hadn't received the letter in 2010, but who knows if it was ever sent... Yeah I am completely spun out about it. I really thought I was going to the best clinic for the operation. I received a call before lunch, so my appointment with the <snip> is in 2 weeks time. So from a positive point of view I guess it will give me more time to find out what others in my position are doing.
    Please God you'll get good news that yours is not PIP.

• Advertisement

Thanks Marguerite for updating me, at least they are in touch with you now and you have the appointment. Thanks I hope so too but it's an anxious wait, as I'm sure you are well aware. If I do have PIP I will definitely be going down the legal route to even just assess what options I have, if any. I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 021tanya

Hey ladies. I also had implants at <snip>l in 2005ish. it seems that they r pip but no way of finding out as they have gone out of business.... I have made an appointment with the <snip> for feb as I really didn't know what else to do!! Am afraid that they might be pushing replacement to line there own pockets,, and I don't have €5000 for this op. this is my first time hearing of 'pip implants' reading posts am shocked to hear they were questioning since 2010!!! Am shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SHELLBABE10

Marguerite1, i also got my implants done in <snip> in 2005 and found out last week i have the pip implants.They said they sent out a letter to me 18 months ago but i have moved from the address they have for me so i never got it.So i cant say wether they really did send a letter or not.

I went down yesterday to meet the surgeon, as im 5 1/2months pregnant i am more worried for my baby, which i have read that if the implants have ruptured it can get into your blood and then into the babies blood through the placenta.Now i said this to the surgeon and he said there is no way it can rupture into my blood stream because its a gel, he said it would be criminal for him to lie to me about that and put me and my baby at risk .This made me feel a little better but am still a little unsure wether i should believe him.Like you i am being sent to the beacon in 2 weeks time for my scan and have been told also if they have ruptured that they will be replaced free of charge although i couldnt have anything done till my baby is born.
    I did ask if mine are not ruptured is there an option been given to get the implants removed anyway.He told me if their not ruptured they wouldnt be removed but if i wanted them taken out anyway they will be coming up with a non profit price to have them removed.They said they should have a price in about a week if i wanted to ring back to check price though i will wait to see what happens in the beacon first and if mine havnt ruptured i will ring then to get price.I also asked them for a copy of my chart and consent form which they have agreed to and will ring me to collect it when its done.Its handy to have this incase i want to go down the legal route.

Hi Shellbabe10.
    Sorry to hear about your news too. It's awful to have that worry when you're pregnant, it's the last thing you need. I assume, like me, the surgeon must be relatively positive that yours are intact if your scan isn't for another 2 weeks. So maybe we can take that as a positive sign in this negative situation. Also, I do think that he would have had to inform you of any possible risks or side effects to your baby.

Thanks for letting me know about the "non profit" option for replacement that they are working on. I didn't ask, my head was all over the place.

If other women are out there, and like me they have never posted on a Board, please join up so that we can all share the information we have.

In the meantime Shellbabe10 please let me know when you get your scan done. I'm sure it'll be perfect, but something that you will have to deal with after your baby is born. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lorrim

Ladies - the clinic that has gone out of business, do you have the surgeons name? Try google, or the medical register, you maybe able to contact the surgeon. He/she may know the type of implants used. And as your doctor surely they'd have a duty of care to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jakitto

Hy Ladies
    I had my implants placed in <snip> by <snip> in 2003. Where do i start with my reaction to these faulty implants??? First off, I do not for one second believe that women who had these implants where contacted by the above mentioned company. I was completly reassured before surgery that these weer the best option to go for as i was very apprehensive about the chances of leaks with implants.
    I contacted the clinic after Christmas (i found out on Christmas day about this problem with PIP). I am STILL waiting for my records to be checked to confirm that i have PIP but they are 99% sure that i do. I am NOT happy in the least with this clinic. They are fobbing us off with an email that attempts to reassure us that there is little chance of ruptures and basically that this whole problem is being exaggerated????
    I have implants inside of me that i paid ALOT of money for, in good faith with trust in the clinic and they inserted a substandard product. They tell us that if we are showing no symptoms then we should have no concerns? so we just sit and wait for a symptom and then deal with it????. As an example- I would love to see the director of this clinic buy a car and realise at a later date that this car is faulty may or may not pose a serious and maybe life threatening risk to him or his family. So do you really think he continue to use this car and WAIT for a fault to appear or return to the company that sold it to him, hold them accountable and demand a replacement. I am so frustrated and fed up with the laid back attitude. I had the implants done as i was an A cup and had NO confidence.Yes the implants helped alot. I will have a scan on the 18th of this month, not by <snip> as i do not trust them anymore. Then i will meet a <snip> surgeon after that to discuss options. We should not have to pay for ANY removal or replacement as this should fall to the Clinic in question. I am not interested in their statistics or reassurances. I want them removed and replaced. I am not looking for compensation, just replacement and peace of mind. Is that too much to ask?.

Hi Shellbabe10.
    Sorry to hear about your news too. It's awful to have that worry when you're pregnant, it's the last thing you need. I assume, like me, the surgeon must be relatively positive that yours are intact if your scan isn't for another 2 weeks. So maybe we can take that as a positive sign in this negative situation. Also, I do think that he would have had to inform you of any possible risks or side effects to your baby.

Thanks for letting me know about the "non profit" option for replacement that they are working on. I didn't ask, my head was all over the place.

If other women are out there, and like me they have never posted on a Board, please join up so that we can all share the information we have.

In the meantime Shellbabe10 please let me know when you get your scan done. I'm sure it'll be perfect, but something that you will have to deal with after your baby is born. :)
    Yes ladies lets try stay positive here hopefully we will be able to get these implants out if we stick together there is power in numbers and shell i had 2 babies in the last 2 years and they are fine try to remember that if u had anything in ur blood stream it would have shown when u had ur bloods done in early pregnancy and why dont you discuss it with ur ob r midwife and put ur mind at rest let me know how ur scan goes

Just found this artice which may be of interest, according to John M. Lynch, Managing Partner at Lynch and Partners Solicitors in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, time is limited on what action can be taken so really, anyone affected should act now and get your facts, even if you decided not to go down the legal route, find out what your legal position is which will allow you to make an informed decision, what ever that might be.

http://insideireland.ie/2012/01/06/health-fears-and-legal-time-limits-for-irish-women-after-faulty-implants-48529/#comment-35542

I would also suggest that anyone having trouble contacting their clinic for whatever reason, get in touch with the The Irish Medicines Board, surely they would be able to offer some advice on best course of action in this instance.

Finally, worth a read, UK's plan for dealing with the situation over there http://mediacentre.dh.gov.uk/2012/01/06/statement-on-breast-implants/

Girls, I assume that by "anyone affected" they mean anyone with PIP implants? Not just anyone who has had trouble with them? Would that be your understanding too? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Larleane28

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm guessing it will be old Bill Taxpayer!

Jesus I'd be furious if this was the case. For women who've had reconstructive surgery after cancer no problem, fair enough, but no way in hell I'd pay for women who've just chosen to play 'let's pretend' with their own boobs by having them pumped full of plastic to appease their own vanity or alleviate their insecurities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Larleane28 wrote: »
    Jesus I'd be furious if this was the case. For women who've had reconstructive surgery after cancer no problem, fair enough, but no way in hell I'd pay for women who've just chosen to play 'let's pretend' with their own boobs by having them pumped full of plastic to appease their own vanity or alleviate their insecurities.

I dont believe in plastic surgery either but if there is women in danger who cant afford to get them removed then my opinion on plastic surgery dont matter they will have to be removed and its not the women's fault they were sold faulty goods.

Good luck to whoever is in this difficult situation and hope all turns out well.

deisedave wrote: »
    I dont believe in plastic surgery either but if there is women in danger who cant afford to get them removed then my opinion on plastic surgery dont matter they will have to be removed and its not the women's fault they were sold faulty goods.

Good luck to whoever is in this difficult situation and hope all turns out well.

No it's not, it's the manufacturers fault and it's the fault of the clinic that bought them at a knock-down price. But leaving the makers and the fitters aside, it's a hell of a lot more the woman's responsibility than it is mine. The serious safety issues surrounding breast implants have been highlighted over and over and over again for decades - if a woman chooses to ignore that then I expect her to pay for her own mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Larleane28 wrote: »
    The problem arises if a regulatory body certified this company/these implants as safe

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Larleane28, there are quite obviously women who have these implants and who are already distressed posting in this thread for support and advice.

If you want to argue the pro's and con's of elective surgery - please do so in another thread/forum.

Larleane28, there are quite obviously women who have these implants and who are already distressed posting in this thread for support and advice.

If you want to argue the pro's and con's of elective surgery - please do so in another thread/forum.

Well said Ickle Magoo, well said

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

I too am waiting to hear if I have PIP implants. Had my surgery carried out in 2006 with <snip> and had the op carried out in <snip>.

I am so mad that <snip> didn't contact me in 2010, as directed by the IMB, to let me know I had these implants as I would have had them removed immediately. I have rang <snip>, emailed them and sent a registered letter to them to find out if I have this implant type and all I have received from them is an email 2 days ago telling me that it is likely that I have PIP's which frankly isn't a good enough response.

I will never deal with <snip> again even if they do offer replacement surgery for free (although i doubt they will) as I'm sure they will just offer the next cheapest implant on the market and obviously they have no regard for their patients if they can't even be bothered to let them know they are walking around with defective implants regardless of whether they think the implants are a risk or not.

In the last week, I have been to my GP and requested an MRI to see if they are ruptured and am waiting to receive an appointment. I don't have any symptoms of rupture but am very concerned about silent rupture and really I'm not comfortable with the thought of industrial grade silicon, with god knows what in it, leaking into my body. I've also made an appointment at the <snip> for the end of Jan to discuss having my implants removed or replaced. Hopefully I will have a copy of my medical records by then so I'll know for definite if I have PIPs.

Apologies, I didn't realise how insensitive my posts would appear to be. I only read as far as post 27!

Hi ladies,
    Just to let you know Marguerite that I got a phone call last night from the director of nursing to tell the implant I had in 2007 was not a PIP, possibly I was lucky that my surgery wasn't a straight forward breast enlargement, it was corrective surgery and a different type was used. I have to admit I am most relieved but I will do anything I can to support your cause ladies, stay strong :)

Hi ladies,
    Just to let you know Marguerite that I got a phone call last night from the director of nursing to tell the implant I had in 2007 was not a PIP, possibly I was lucky that my surgery wasn't a straight forward breast enlargement, it was corrective surgery and a different type was used. I have to admit I am most relieved but I will do anything I can to support your cause ladies, stay strong :)

Ah that's great news!!! I'm delighted for you, as I'm sure everyone else on this thread is. Also, thanks very much for your support, it's much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 021tanya

Hi ladies,

Ya am also delighted 4 u. :):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement